• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FL5 New Civic Type R

I’d be wary or bank on values of FK8 or FL5 will hold, we are very early into the worst financial period in my lifetime (47 yo btw). Genuinely believe the car market is going to take a bath next year. Don’t know if anyone has tried to get a new mortgage rate yet but mine will increase more than I paid in HP monthlies for my old FK8, energy bill treble! in fact I pay more in energy than my old monthlies now ☹

It will impact us and I would describe us as above average in terms of household income. There will be a lot of people when they come to chop their car in will find they can not afford the next one or even afford to refinance.

just for balance I bought a 718 GT4 this year, the value of that car has dropped a lot more than Id care to admit, I could see it happening so got out quickly. So if it is impacting the Porsche GT market sure as hell it will impact all other manufacturers.
To be honest as it stands now, I’m quite happy to hold on to the FK8. I think it’s a brilliant car, I don’t need to sell it to get the Emira because of the amount of time it’s been delayed now. I’m just partly wondering if it’s worth it anymore.
You did well to get a February order, must have put a deposit down very early. I wanted I4 and quite late to put deposit down so looking at Q3 2024!!
I placed my deposit the day before Goodwood, I was originally looking at the AMG as well but when the pricing of the FE I4 was only a few K less than the V6 I thought it would probably be the last time I will be able to buy something with more than 4 cylinders and isn’t a hybrid.

I think the world's gone mad ....lam out not interested in paying that figure for a new type r is it really worth the extra over the old model ....l think l will be holding on to my GR yaris for a while

10k down, £520 a month for 47 months, £23,750 final payment. Works out at about £58,500
That said, when you look around at what is available that is comparable with the civic, that isn’t really too different. Just a bad time to buy cars at the moment. Honda will still sell all of them I’m sure.

I bought an FK8 back in 2019, loved it for the 3 years I had it. Traded in at end of PCP for M4 Competition.

I was very interested in the FL5 until I saw the price, £47k is mental. January 2019 FK8 was £31,500.

That's not bad Glyn, the expected strong resale takes a fair bit of risk out of it. Getting one is a different matter though.

Well I'm officially out. No matter how good the FL5 is it's not £20k (for what I paid) better than my FK8. Plus it's lost that crazy madness I love with the 8. It has grown on me and the interior is great, but it's still a bit too unexciting looks-wise. In fact I'm quite glad it's so much more, I don't even have to have an internal wrestle with myself about getting one. At least not for a good few years.

I've just done a WBAC valuation just to see if the announced price of the FL5 has had any impact on FK8 values. To my surprise the amount I was offered has dropped £3000 from a month ago. Tried a couple of other car buying sites and near enough some result. I'd have thought FK8 prices would have firmed up given how pricey the new one is.

I've just done a WBAC valuation just to see if the announced price of the FL5 has had any impact on FK8 values. To my surprise the amount I was offered has dropped £3000 from a month ago. Tried a couple of other car buying sites and near enough some result. I'd have thought FK8 prices would have firmed up given how pricey the new one is.
December kills used car prices, worst time of year to sell to dealers.

Ah, fair enough - I don't really have knowledge of the ebbs and flows of dealer pricing
October through to Feb/March are the worst time as hardly anyone is going out looking at cars, plus most people are skint around Christmas. This reflects in the PX offers as the dealer is taking the risk that the car will sit on their forecourt for a few months.

The WBAC price for my M3 has dropped from £38k down to £28k in a few weeks as an example. But they're changing hands at over £40k.

Supply and demand for the FK8. If you look on AT there’s only one facelift available, a Pmm one that’s been there for ages … oddly.

Good example facelift ones with low mileage will command good premiums in the near future, there won’t be enough FL5’s available and the next best thing (or arguably the more “type r” version) is the FK8.

Supply and demand for the FK8. If you look on AT there’s only one facelift available, a Pmm one that’s been there for ages … oddly.

Good example facelift ones with low mileage will command good premiums in the near future, there won’t be enough FL5’s available and the next best thing (or arguably the more “type r” version) is the FK8.

Yeah true, I guess if there was a huge chasm of difference between FL5 and FK8 it would be a bit different. Incrementally better, but at £47k and pretty much unavailable I'd be buying an FK8 like a shot. You decided whether you're going for the FL5 Dotty?

Back