• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New Clutch...not right, need help!

Hi guys, apologies in advance for the essay below just trying to give as much info as possible...

Had a new exedy clutch fitted about a week ago. Old clutch was so knackered and had obviously gotten really hot as the centre of the driven plate has turned a metallicy blue/purple colour and the organic material was just flaking away.

New clutch fitted last week and the noise I had when pulling away had gone :) but i'm now getting vibration through the clutch pedal. Vibration is there throughout the length of the pedal and it just doesn't feel right at all! :(

Also it doesn't feel like the gears are engaging well all the time, in fact when I engage 1st gear sometimes it feels like there is a kind of clunk, like the whole box is moving slightly?

Took it back to the garage that fitted it and they said that it feels ok to them and that it probably just because it is a high performance car?!?! Seriously, I have never driven a car with vibrations like this and it just doesn't seem right to me...

Spoke to the supplier of the clutch and he said that it could be the slave cylinder needs replacing and to make sure they used proper Honda oil when they refilled the gearbox.

He also asked whether the flywheel was ok because if the plate had gotten that hot it is likely that the flywheel would need replacing too as this could cause the vibration? (spoke to the garage and they said the flywheel looked fine.)

Seriously need some advice on this so any replies would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Did you get a standard clutch and get it fitted at TGM like I suggested?

Nope, wish I had done now obviously :oops: got a oem exedy clutch which I heard were just as good.

Reason I took it to that place I took it to was because the guy has worked on all my cars and i've never had a problem with him.

Nope, wish I had done now obviously :oops: got a oem exedy clutch which I heard were just as good.

Reason I took it to that place I took it to was because the guy has worked on all my cars and i've never had a problem with him.

Some awful grammar Beer. :smt018

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts on the suggestion below? (from another forum):

Try greasing the slave cylinder piston and pivot arm, and also the pivot point inside the bell housing..(accessible through the rubber bung by the slave cylinder)..It could these joints are dry and "grating" under pressure.

How was the flywheel, did they say anything about that?

How much did this garage charge you?

One of the reasons I got rid of my S2000 was the fact I changed the clutch to an Exedy one and hated it, it was the 'standard' replacement version and felt like grapefruit.

Well I have the Exedy OEM replacement and its sweet as a nut, and I thrash my little bitch to a inch of its life everyday. So the clutch aint the problem......

Just an update, my biting point is extremely low (like on the floor low) so i'm getting the slave cylinder replaced and clutch system bled next week to see if this helps...maybe that will also solve the vibration issue?

Here's to hoping.

I got my clutch changed last week at my local garge, I was going to get it done a TGM but it was just to far to travel.
I used to get vibration in the pedal and my biting point was at the bottom just like your getting, the problem was the flywheel. Might be worth taking it back to them and having a word.
Should have got a standard clutch realy dude TGM said they could take up 300bhp and every other performance clutch they use dont last 2 mins.

Back