• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 New FK8 owners Q&A - everything you want to know and dare to ask here

I have been looking into this as well. It seems the later cars with GPF have to run on Honda 0W20 Type 2.0 C2/C3 spec oil and cannot run on anything else. Track specific oils like the Millers are no good which is a shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oil specification is a bit of a minefield to decode. Certainly, using an oil not specified by the manufacturer could potentially invalidate the warranty - an especially important consideration if you are tracking!
I believe that if your car is on a service plan that most workshops will use Castrol 0w20 which is to ILSAC gf5 specification(because it is a bit cheaper). Is that the same as ACEA C2? Difficult to tell. There doesn’t appear to be any direct comparison charts between the different standards. Surely must be ok if Honda dealers are using it ?
A quote from penriteoil.com:

“ILSAC, API and ACEA specifications require a large range of engine and laboratory tests on the oil. Parameters such as high and low temperature wear, oxidation, soot control, oil thickening, deposit control, volatility, stay in grade performance, fuel economy, chemical composition and many others are tested against limits and rated.
In the case of the API, the oil specifications become more severe as the letters climb the alphabet, eg SL is more severe than SJ. This is not necessarily the case with ACEA as their specifications are more application specific.”

I have seen elsewhere that the ACEA tests are more rigorous and stringent than the other two, so it would seem that ACEA C2 is the prudent choice.
Interesting that Opie oils and even Cox Motor Parts do recommend some oils that only have specifications quoted that are from the other standards (API or ILSAC)

Last edited:
Any chance of a pic? Keen to see your flaps
I thoroughly recommend the rally armor flaps. I reckon they save a whole lot of gravel rash! The car is on FK2 wheels with winter tyres in these photo’s - which I also recommend (only in winter obviously). Don't have to slow down much when it gets cold then! You can get the flaps from tarmacsports.co.uk
aaa1.jpegaaa2.jpeg

Last edited:
Oil specification is a bit of a minefield to decode. Certainly, using an oil not specified by the manufacturer could potentially invalidate the warranty - an especially important consideration if you are tracking!
I believe that if your car is on a service plan that most workshops will use Castrol 0w20 which is to ILSAC gf5 specification(because it is a bit cheaper). Is that the same as ACEA C2? Difficult to tell. There doesn’t appear to be any direct comparison charts between the different standards. Surely must be ok if Honda dealers are using it ?
A quote from penriteoil.com:

“ILSAC, API and ACEA specifications require a large range of engine and laboratory tests on the oil. Parameters such as high and low temperature wear, oxidation, soot control, oil thickening, deposit control, volatility, stay in grade performance, fuel economy, chemical composition and many others are tested against limits and rated.
In the case of the API, the oil specifications become more severe as the letters climb the alphabet, eg SL is more severe than SJ. This is not necessarily the case with ACEA as their specifications are more application specific.”

I have seen elsewhere that the ACEA tests are more rigorous and stringent than the other two, so it would seem that ACEA C2 is the prudent choice.
Interesting that Opie oils and even Cox Motor Parts do recommend some oils that only have specifications quoted that are from the other standards (API or ILSAC)
I know for a fact that my dealer has always put Total Quartz 0w30 ACEA C2 oil in my car under the service plan.

I know for a fact that my dealer has always put Total Quartz 0w30 ACEA C2 oil in my car under the service plan.
That sound good. Cox motors group have around 15 dealerships in the northwest - They do mail order service packs with either Honda’s own type 2 oil (which costs a bit more) or Castrol 0w20(H) which their website states is ILSAC GF5.
I think vehicle manufacturers are in a difficult position though. As Tim said above, ACEA C2/C3 is a European standard designed specifically for the latest petrol engines with enhanced emissions control systems (GPF’s).
The manufacturer has to balance fuel consumption/emissions for WLTP figures against what is actually best for the engine though.
ACEA C3 is better for the longevity of an engine over ACEA C2, but has slightly more friction therefore causes worse fuel consumption. 0w20 is better for fuel consumption, but not so good for lubrication.
If you run the car through Castrol‘s own website, the No 1 recommendation is actually a 5w30 ACEA C3 oil. Perhaps an oil manufacturer is more likely to recommend what’s best for an engine than a vehicle manufacturer who has other considerations to take into account.
I do suspect that a 5w30 oil to ACEA C3 standard would be best for the engine. What does everyone else think?

Cars look fantastic with the flaps
Thanks, I'm gutted rally armour don't do them for the fk2 aswell. Stones get trapped in the side skirts of the fk2 and fk8, I haven't had either long but the handful of times I've cleaned them I've had to reach behind the skirts and scoop all the stones out. Thankfully the flaps will stop that problem on the fk8

That sound good. Cox motors group have around 15 dealerships in the northwest - They do mail order service packs with either Honda’s own type 2 oil (which costs a bit more) or Castrol 0w20(H) which their website states is ILSAC GF5.
I think vehicle manufacturers are in a difficult position though. As Tim said above, ACEA C2/C3 is a European standard designed specifically for the latest petrol engines with enhanced emissions control systems (GPF’s).
The manufacturer has to balance fuel consumption/emissions for WLTP figures against what is actually best for the engine though.
ACEA C3 is better for the longevity of an engine over ACEA C2, but has slightly more friction therefore causes worse fuel consumption. 0w20 is better for fuel consumption, but not so good for lubrication.
If you run the car through Castrol‘s own website, the No 1 recommendation is actually a 5w30 ACEA C3 oil. Perhaps an oil manufacturer is more likely to recommend what’s best for an engine than a vehicle manufacturer who has other considerations to take into account.
I do suspect that a 5w30 oil to ACEA C3 standard would be best for the engine. What does everyone else think?
On page 673 of the handbook. If your running the gasoline particulate filter then anything from 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30 ACEA C2 or C3 will be fine on European cars If genuine Honda oil isn’t available.

On page 673 of the handbook. If your running the gasoline particulate filter then anything from 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30 ACEA C2 or C3 will be fine on European cars If genuine Honda oil isn’t available.
Yes - you are quite right of course. Guess I’m over thinking it too much.

Last edited:
I'd give the dream seat covers a miss. In my experience they do more damage to the seats than not using them. They have rough seams on the inside that rub all the contact points on the seat.

Just done another WBAC quote - it's getting silly now. £30,350 is my latest offer, paid £27,500 in November last year. It's getting very close to my trigger point now, only issue is I really love the car!

Just done another WBAC quote - it's getting silly now. £30,350 is my latest offer, paid £27,500 in November last year. It's getting very close to my trigger point now, only issue is I really love the car!

Somebody posted a screen shot on here the other day of a FK8, brand new, 8 miles on the clock, £49,999.

I have found with WBAC that what they offer, is in fact a far cry from what you actually get, they just give you a decent price to get you in.

Somebody posted a screen shot on here the other day of a FK8, brand new, 8 miles on the clock, £49,999.

I have found with WBAC that what they offer, is in fact a far cry from what you actually get, they just give you a decent price to get you in.

They knocked me down £200 on the online offer when I got there (fk8) that was during the first wave.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I’ve searched and not seen an answer.
Looking through the FK8 sales brochure, I noticed that in the pictures the Type R has headlight washers. The UK models obviously don’t, so I was wondering why. Do we have lowered powered LED headlights compared to those in Europe?

There are loads of differences that the USA get that we don’t, for example a sub woofer in the boot and drinks holders in the centre rear seat.

But to answer your question, no idea why there are differences between the specs.

US also get 10 less BHP, oh and a steering wheel on the wrong side of the car. :)

don't they also get a automatic driver side dipping wing mirror when reversing or did I dream that up?

The Yanks also get a built-in burger grill instead of the tyre inflation gubbins in the boot. Don't forget, we get the Type R pen under the driver's seat...;)

Back