• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New golf mk5 GTI

I know its not a Honda but I aint leaving cause I will be back in a Honda at some point lol.

Anyway finally bit the bullet and went for a gti.

First thoughts are its comfy and easy to drive and a lot less money on the fuel.

It has had a bit done to it before I got it.

Eibach lowering springs 30mm
R 32 look rear bumper
Custom center section
Poly bushed engine mount
R 32 look rear bumper
Precat delete
Stage 2 map 275bhp
Wind deflectors

Its got all the mod cons so its nice to have them compared to the ep3. tbh it isn't as fun as the ep3 and going round corners the ep3 beats it hands down as expected. I miss the ep3 already.

Got a few plans for it.
Already changed the wheels and the tyres allround.
Change the air filter thinking just to itg panel filter just now before I spend anything big.
Booked in next week for cambelt waterpump and coolant change and oil and filter change.
Its booked in at automek aswell on 25th for braided brake lines from TGM and fluid change.
Tints in the next few weeks aswell.
Side skirts colour coded(maybe)

That will be it till next year then I'm thinking maybe a bigger intercooler turbo and get a stage 3 map and change to an s3 set of brakes.

Anyway got some pictures today.

ymata3u6.jpg
6y9u9apy.jpg
y3ysuhaz.jpg
ysu9ugud.jpg

As looking through my pictures i found my ep3 before it went lastweek so here it is since i miss it.

peda8uge.jpg
ajevuna6.jpg
vydy3eru.jpg
susudeve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Did some investigating on Wikipedia and I'm amazed to read a MK5 GTi and an EP3 weigh almost the same amount, both 1300kg plus change. Amazing.

Looks a lovely car. Both look similar actually!

Do they really didnt think that. I always assumed the golf would be heavier.

Yeah look very similar. It wasnt planned to get a silver golf but it cought my eye.

Does it feel heavier to drive? The GTis aren't AWD are they? Do you find it more understeery or oversteery than the Civic?

These are really legit hot hatch choices IMO. Really nicely understated and they don't seem to have any bad stigma attached to them, whereas the Civic has become a bit chavvy sadly - a shame as it's (maybe) the better car of the two...? More exciting maybe?

It does feel like a heavier car it feels alot bigger aswell.

They're front wheel drive. I find it not to bad if anything more understeer and car just doesn't feel as planted as the ep3 but I did have the FRSU on the ep3 for over a year.

It is very smooth to drive and a lot less effort I think and comfy. The ep3 so far anyway i think is a lot more exciting to drive. day to day though its a rough ride but for that wee bit of fun ep3 wins by miles.

I notice the brakes aren't as good but I had braided brakes lines etc so i forgot what the standard ep3 was like.

As for looks i still think the ep3 look great. The body work for my 13 year old ep3 was actually in better condition.

I know no one has really commented but hey hoe am still keeping it updated lol.

So changes so far. Fitted some different springs as it was lowerd 50mm and not 30mm, so ive changed them so its 25mm, alot better not as bouncy and can get over speed bumps.

Got some tints aswell and it looks alot better.

Fitted a neuspeed induction kit to it. Had to change the diverter valve aswell.

Today my full milltek system arrived so hopfully get that on soon. Also got a ths s3 intercooler on its way.

My plan was to head to tdi-north as they work with AMD tuning. But as my ecu is locked with rtech my plans are to go to rtech and have it mapped, which is a gutter as its another 4hour added to the journey.

Also few bumps and marks on it so decided to get every dent etc fixed and get a full paint job with side skirts colour coded aswell, so just waiting on my mate phoning me when he has the products in for that.

Will get more pictures posted soon.

Actually really missing the ep3 as it goes. I wanted to turbo an fn2 before i got the gti and its eating away at me lol. Maybe in next year or 2.

Looks nice that mate. Be interesting to see what power you make with the exhaust after mapping.
Post some pictures up when you get it painted pal.

Yeah should be good. Am pretty sure it made the 275bhp just with a decat and custom centre section and oem air filter.

So with the intercooler and milltek and cai am hoping it gets nearer 300 but not really fussed, aslong as it runs better and also its peace of mind since it wasn't me mapping it lol am fussy.

Will get some pics up soon. Hoping to get it painted sooner rather than later.

Dude, stop having all these massive plans if you just want another Type R :lol:

Nice Golf though, interesting to see the fuel is better even though you have an extra 70-80bhp on tap. Also I thought Golf's are meant to handle really well.

Dude, stop having all these massive plans if you just want another Type R :lol:

Nice Golf though, interesting to see the fuel is better even though you have an extra 70-80bhp on tap. Also I thought Golf's are meant to handle really well.
I want both though lol. just missing the ep3 I think it will ware off. I think part of it was cause I knew the engines more like common faults aswell annoy me cause I don't have a clue with the vag cars. but I need to have some sort of dream lol.

Tbh I don't think I actually have the full 70bhp on tap as decat is missing from when it was mapped so probably nearer 250bhp at a guess but still feels faster than the ep3 with the torque.

Also when I first got it when I didn't think it handled that well it ended up needing wishbone bushes and tracking and few other things so that wouldn't of helped, my ep3 did have frsu etc aswell so comparing to that.

Now though I think I've found a nice balance not to low for speedbumps and the car handles good. can't wait to get the milltek system on.

Nice golf mate, I have always liked them I was actually going to buy an 09 Gti but ended up with my fn2:p I still have never had a turbocharged car yet but think my next one will have to have a turbo on it:D

Nice golf mate, I have always liked them I was actually going to buy an 09 Gti but ended up with my fn2:p I still have never had a turbocharged car yet but think my next one will have to have a turbo on it:D
Cheers mate. It is alot better day to day driving thats for sure. I get about 28mpg aswell and thats having some fun aswell. Cruise control for the motorway is good aswell.

nice, I did that in reverse. But I used to have a MK4 GTI.

I found the civic to be far better than the MK4, a little better than the MK5, and about the same as the MK6, but in a completely different way. The MK6 would not corner as well but would take off the second the road straitens up.

But the golf was a much nicer place to be when driving in 'old lady mode'. :lol:

Nice whip mate.

I wish the Vtec was as cheap to get more horses out of it than a turbo.

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2

Nice whip mate.

I wish the Vtec was as cheap to get more horses out of it than a turbo.

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2
Its alot easier to drive aswell don't always need to be in vtec lol. But thats probably one thing i miss when in the mood. Hope they shocks are all ok mate.

Small update. This bad boy came
0fbdab6459fcbb8e4e53386ea53de9c0.jpg
milltek 200 cell sports cat. And a 2nd hand milltek catback. Fitted it tonight and it isn't much louder than standard. I had a custom section on and the turbo back is actually quieter. But it sounds nice and grunty so am happy. Ths s3 intercooler on its way aswell.

Painting is on hold just now, my mate who paints cars, his missus is having/had a baby. So cracking on with heading to tdi north now as they can unlock my ecu so thats good news, just waiting on a date back from them in oct hopfully.

Also just bought one of these.

00862fd32bdf54269a67267c5997a1d8.jpg

It gives you boost and temps etc and even a code reader. Set me back £180 though.

Sounding like progress in the right direction mate.

itching to boost the Vette! Euromillions please...

Sounding like progress in the right direction mate.

itching to boost the Vette! Euromillions please...
Everytime i get something done the eml comes on. Induction kit in diverter valve needed change lol.

Now my pcv needs changed. Cheap though so not the end of the world.

Really didn't expect the milltek turboback to be so quiet though.

Hmmm. She doesn't like mods? Is that a golf thing?

Surprised to hear the Miltek system is quiet myself. Big silencers? The turbo always quietens things down so you
need little silencers! Friend of mine has an RS4 with a Miltek system and it is pretty loud.

Back