• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New member - ATR Hesitation and no VTEC

Update:

My car is still at the dealers in Warrington. They've made little effort to keep me updated, I've had to call them every time.

They say they have cleaned the EGR valve, cleaned something else that they were very vague about, and when I spoke to them yesterday they were 'adjusting the tappets'?!?! I'm quietly convinced that they don't really know what they are doing.

So, they've got until lunchtime today to ring me with an answer. If I don't hear from them, I'm picking the car up and taking it to system-r.

I miss my motor.

efcmandan said:
Update:

My car is still at the dealers in Warrington. They've made little effort to keep me updated, I've had to call them every time.

They say they have cleaned the EGR valve, cleaned something else that they were very vague about, and when I spoke to them yesterday they were 'adjusting the tappets'?!?! I'm quietly convinced that they don't really know what they are doing.

So, they've got until lunchtime today to ring me with an answer. If I don't hear from them, I'm picking the car up and taking it to system-r.

I miss my motor.

Have you spoken to Paul yet? He should be back in the workshop now :)

Just back from football, I have a bruised rib and a bruised ego after losing 12-3! I'm off to ring the dealer now, then hopefully Paul at System-R if the dealer hasn't sorted my problem.

SF, the dealer claims to have cleaned the EGR valve which made no difference, but thanks for the heads-up. I think they have also cleaned the manifold/port plate, I seem to remember him saying something about a plate. Dammit, I wish I knew more about engines. :cry:

Update
Ok, they say my car is fixed. They are now saying they didn't clean the EGR valve, which they originally told me they did. They cleaned the manifold, which made no difference. But, they have adjusted the tappets because "4 of them were completely closed", took it for a test drive and it's now ok.

Can someone please tell me:

1 - what does a tappet do?
2 - why would it be completely closed up?
3 - how many do I have?
4 - are they hydraulic?
5 - why would the car run ok upto 5krpm?

They are questioning if the car has been serviced regularly and properly, which it has and I have all the history here, all done at a main dealer in Brum somewhere.

Then, the bombshell. "We spent 5 hours on it, but we'll only charge you for 3, at £73 an hour". I naturally went ballistic at this, because I was told the diagnostic fee would be £39. I'm waiting for the guy who gave me the £39 figure to give me a call back.

I'm hoping to collect the car tonight, I just hope it's ok.

4 of them were completely "closed"? :?

Do they mean that the tappets were damaged in such a way that the related valves remained closed at all times? hmmmmm

I'm not entirely sure what they mean, but it is possible that a mechanical fault with the engine (which did not result in a CEL), would provide performance problems while in VTEC, but this doesn't explain why VTEC wouldn't engage at all.

VTEC is purely engaged/disengaged by the ECU, nothing mechanical. The requirements for VTEC to engage (VSS, coolant temp, oil pressure, no CEL etc) should all have been satisfied even if there was a problem with the tappets.

Red said:
4 of them were completely "closed"? :?

Do they mean that the tappets were damaged in such a way that the related valves remained closed at all times? hmmmmm

I'm not entirely sure what they mean, but it is possible that a mechanical fault with the engine (which did not result in a CEL), would provide performance problems while in VTEC, but this doesn't explain why VTEC wouldn't engage at all.

VTEC is purely engaged/disengaged by the ECU, nothing mechanical. The requirements for VTEC to engage (VSS, coolant temp, oil pressure, no CEL etc) should all have been satisfied even if there was a problem with the tappets.

Thanks for the quick reply, Red.

The guy on the phone told me that "4 of the tappets were completely closed" so they've adjusted them now and they're ok. I am worried that these guys don't know what they're doing, so I might take it into System-R anyway for a once-over. Unfortunately, I don't know much about mechanicals so they could tell me anything and I wouldn't know any better. But, he didn't mention any cost for replacing the tappets, purely a labour charge, so I assume that nothing was damaged.

The weird thing is, VTEC did occasionaly engage but only in a very weak way if you know what I mean. It's so difficult to explain, it's doing my nut in. I'm pretty confident that I'll pick the car up tonight and it will be no different. :cry:

Right, just spoken to the lady at System-R. Paul was busy, but I left a message with her with all the details so hopefully he'll call me back and I'll get the car taken in at the weekend.

Quel surprise, I was told at 14:15 that someone at Honda Warrington would call me back. 15:45 and still no call.

FFS Dan, get your car as far away from the Warrington garage as they sound like a bunch of knuckleheads :x Paul is in as I have been in touch about him fitting my Gruppe M and K-pro :twisted: Get it there asap as he knows a hell of a lot about Honda's :D

Right! I have my baby back, and she's purring like a kitten.

The job sheet from the dealer says:

Carry out initial checks, remove and clean manifold plate, carry out HDS tests, trace to valve clearances and reset, road test.

Note, no mention of cleaning the EGR valve which they told me they had done, and no mention of tappets!!! Managed to get the price down to 2 hours labour, total £171.55 inc VAT.

Got 75 miles to do tomorrow so will have a good blast and make sure she's ok. I'll clean her at the weekend and get some nice pics up.

Thanks to all for the great advice. The car will be going to system-r as soon as I get a moment. :D

efcmandan said:
Right! I have my baby back, and she's purring like a kitten.

The job sheet from the dealer says:

Carry out initial checks, remove and clean manifold plate, carry out HDS tests, trace to valve clearances and reset, road test.

Note, no mention of cleaning the EGR valve which they told me they had done, and no mention of tappets!!! Managed to get the price down to 2 hours labour, total £171.55 inc VAT.

Got 75 miles to do tomorrow so will have a good blast and make sure she's ok. I'll clean her at the weekend and get some nice pics up.

Thanks to all for the great advice. The car will be going to system-r as soon as I get a moment. :D

Dan, valve clearances = Tappets. :!:

hooray! Nice one Dano! :D :D There is a meet ina few weeks time that we should both go to :wink:

K-Pro not fitted yet, waiting for my Gruppe M and do them both together then map it :twisted:

obbzi said:
Wing Yip business park (How appropraite :wink: ) Sunday 21st Jan 1900

I'll be there, wherever the hell it is. Anyone else from the forum gonna be able to make that, I'm assuming it's in the North West somewhere.

For future info... the last time I needed to go to System-R which is nearly a year ago now :shock:

£35 + VAT per hour labour...

thejudderman said:
For future info... the last time I needed to go to System-R which is nearly a year ago now :shock:

£35 + VAT per hour labour...

What are you getting at? Are you saying that is expensive or cheap or what? Where else do you recommend in the NorthWest?

efcmandan

The inlet manifold port plate is a commen fault on the ATR, they block up with soot, which eventualy result's in the EML light coming on.

Also commen for the ATR to have tight valve clearances,(especially on the exhaust side) they should be checked/adjusted at 27k/54k/81k services.

So in my eyes the dealer has done a good job mechanicaly wise, obviously their customer care needs work, and the CSA has no idea either, if 4 of the tappet's were completely closed i'd be surprised if it even ran, a little bit of over exaduration me think's

Glad it's sorted though mate :D

Back