• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New tyres

Makes sense to do this.
I can take off the still well legal OE wheels and tyres and store until the car is handed back or sold in a couple of years.
Meanwhile, I can runaround on the 18's enjoying better ride and handling without the constant worry of repeating the EVO experience!
Then sell the 18's on afterwards...

I'm interested to know how running smaller rims will offer better handling?

I'm interested to know how running smaller rims will offer better handling?

Personally, I’ve never found bigger rims automatically offer better handling. It’s often a decision by the marketing and styling department to upsize (and obviously extract more from the car buyer).

I won’t claim any unstrung weight saving between the 18’s and 20’s until I compare (rubber can weigh just as much as alloy) but I accept a smaller sidewall can mean a sharper turn-in, but thats offset against a less progressive breakaway, more noise and in the case of the FK8, the aforementioned probability of having the tyres/wheels destroyed ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok finally got around to back back to back testing of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S v OEM Continental Sport Tyres, the Michelins wer virtually brand new, the Contis 4K mileage but on the rear so not much wear. The weather was sub 10c with damp/dry roads, front pressures set at 35.

The Michelins have a taller look than the Contis and as such offer more protection imho. In terms of the ride I didn't notice much difference, may be the Michelins a bit softer. This would explain why the turn in felt marginally different, if I'm being honest the turn in is a bit sharper with the Conti's which gave me more confidence to take corners a bit faster how ever you feel like you are driving on the rims. So in balance not much in it. Tyre noise is much less than the Contis which is nice for the motorway runs.

On the road it is very difficult to get a proper feeling for handling how ever I did the same B roads over 75 miles, again so little in it but think the Michelins have the edge, as they heat up my confidence grew and found that traction through the gears out of the corners were better, next to no wheel spinning which with the Contis had spin in 2nd gear.

The fronts were absolutely knackered (I can never seem to upload photos here) after 3k miles (no trackdays), I got another 900 miles out of them much to the disproval of my tyre fitter! The Michelins we're £203 each on black circles with 20% off, Contis similar price.

Overall in summary not much in it, I haven't measured but it looks like you get deeper groves than the Contis so I'm hopeful they will last better, it remains to be see if the Michelin is the better tyre but at very worst I doubt they will wear down as quick and offer a bit more pot hole protection.

Overall in summary not much in it, I haven't measured but it looks like you get deeper groves than the Contis so I'm hopeful they will last better, it remains to be see if the Michelin is the better tyre but at very worst I doubt they will wear down as quick and offer a bit more pot hole protection.

People are getting 20k miles with the Michelins on other cars.

Ok finally got around to back back to back testing of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S v OEM Continental Sport Tyres, the Michelins wer virtually brand new, the Contis 4K mileage but on the rear so not much wear. The weather was sub 10c with damp/dry roads, front pressures set at 35.

The Michelins have a taller look than the Contis and as such offer more protection imho. In terms of the ride I didn't notice much difference, may be the Michelins a bit softer. This would explain why the turn in felt marginally different, if I'm being honest the turn in is a bit sharper with the Conti's which gave me more confidence to take corners a bit faster how ever you feel like you are driving on the rims. So in balance not much in it. Tyre noise is much less than the Contis which is nice for the motorway runs.

On the road it is very difficult to get a proper feeling for handling how ever I did the same B roads over 75 miles, again so little in it but think the Michelins have the edge, as they heat up my confidence grew and found that traction through the gears out of the corners were better, next to no wheel spinning which with the Contis had spin in 2nd gear.

The fronts were absolutely knackered (I can never seem to upload photos here) after 3k miles (no trackdays), I got another 900 miles out of them much to the disproval of my tyre fitter! The Michelins we're £203 each on black circles with 20% off, Contis similar price.

Almost every tyre test out there shows the Michelins above the Contis, in almost every category lol.

Good write up though.

Hi Steve,

The Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.3/1.2 and the O.Z. SuperTurismo are the only 2 wheels that are OEM fitment. They even use the same wheel nuts. It's the reason I wanted either of those wheels.

I use O.Z. SuperTurismo GT in 18" as my track wheel with Yokohama AD08R 245/40. My original choice of wheel was the Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.3 in 18" but they were a 15 week wait when I needed them so opted for the O.Z.

The O.Z's are a wheel weight saving of 3KG per corner. OEM wheels are 12kg without tyres. The O.Z's are 9kg. The larger tyre definitely improves the ride. and car feels more agile on the 18's.

I always feel the car is worse when I swap back to the 20's.

The tyres are also A LOT cheaper. 2 sets of tyres and the wheels pay for themselves.

dc4125767a925c04f73e5ac6c3c3b675.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Steve,

The Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.3/1.2 and the O.Z. SuperTurismo are the only 2 wheels that are OEM fitment. They even use the same wheel nuts. It's the reason I wanted either of those wheels.

I use O.Z. SuperTurismo GT in 18" as my track wheel with Yokohama AD08R 245/40. My original choice of wheel was the Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.3 in 18" but they were a 15 week wait when I needed them so opted for the O.Z.

The O.Z's are a wheel weight saving of 3KG per corner. OEM wheels are 12kg without tyres. The O.Z's are 9kg. The larger tyre definitely improves the ride. and car feels more agile on the 18's.

I always feel the car is worse when I swap back to the 20's.

The tyres are also A LOT cheaper. 2 sets of tyres and the wheels pay for themselves.

dc4125767a925c04f73e5ac6c3c3b675.jpg

Fascinating stuff... you're right about the lead-time at Team Dymanics - my 18" Pro Race 1.3's are on back order and I'm chasing almost daily.
Interesting feature in this months EVO mag, again berating the fragility of the standard 20"s... to quote Ian Eveleigh when signing off the article: "Ultimately, this (the use of 20" wheels) knocked the FK8, as it is, off my shortlist of cars to buy. An FK8 on some TASTEFUL AFTERMARKET 18 INCH WHEELS, however. Now that I might consider"

Having seen Tim's in the flesh, it looks every bit as good as an FK8 on 20's, perhaps even more purposeful.

Annoyingly MPS4s are on back order at the moment so I had to stick with contis when I needed a replacement due to a puncture last week.

Word of warning to anyone who gets annoyed with false alarms from the tyre pressure warning system and ignores/resets it :rolleyes:.....I did about 4 steady miles on a flat rear and the tyre started to delaminate :eek: A simple £15 puncture repair became a £230 new tyre. Thankfully I didn't damage the alloy.

Just ordered some 18" winter wheels and tyres from honda, $$$$, but i now have a set of alloys for some AD08Rs next summer :D

I agree Chris. I don't think its looks odd on the 18's. Plus any car looks better on AD08R's right :)

Would anyone have any thoughts on how the AD08R compare the MPS4S's and the cup 2's in terms of track performance, i'm guessing somewhere in-between?

Annoyingly MPS4s are on back order at the moment so I had to stick with contis when I needed a replacement due to a puncture last week.

Word of warning to anyone who gets annoyed with false alarms from the tyre pressure warning system and ignores/resets it :rolleyes:.....I did about 4 steady miles on a flat rear and the tyre started to delaminate :eek: A simple £15 puncture repair became a £230 new tyre. Thankfully I didn't damage the alloy.

Just ordered some 18" winter wheels and tyres from honda, $$$$, but i now have a set of alloys for some AD08Rs next summer :D

...what are the 18"s wheels from Honda and what do they look like?.... I'm still struggling to get my new set out of Rimstock!

Would anyone have any thoughts on how the AD08R compare the MPS4S's and the cup 2's in terms of track performance, i'm guessing somewhere in-between?

Better than 4S, about the same as Cup 2 but Cup 2's are way softer. I'd be going with AD08R as they've vastly cheaper than Cup 2's and have been proven time and time again.

Back