• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Newbie - EP3 Type R questions! MPG? Gearboxes> Reliability.

Thanks guys,

Quick question - temperature guage

Should the temp sit bang on central or slightly below? I noticed on test drive yesterday the car didn't get up to bang on centre in the guage, was sitting below.

Is that normal haha.

Cheers

Thanks guys,

Quick question - temperature guage

Should the temp sit bang on central or slightly below? I noticed on test drive yesterday the car didn't get up to bang on centre in the guage, was sitting below.

Is that normal haha.

Cheers
My DC5 sits just below middle, the temperature gauge is really poor to be honest. It's more of a 'I'm warm' and that's it gauge.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

If you really want a mint EP3, be prepared to go and look at a fair amount of them.

They are all over 11 years old now so finding a minter is getting harder and harder to find. Just take your time until you find the right one for you mate.

EP3's are really difficult to find an enthusiast example. Might be worth saving up to get a JDM example if you want one that's been loved?

With the prices rising for U.K versions that are low mileage, a JDM version makes much more sense to me.

DC5 gearbox
LSD
Better interior

And while being looked after better, lower mileage and you won't lose money they seem a very good investment at the moment.

Depends if you want to save up or you're in a position for a loan.

The problem with U.K EP3's is they have passed hands a lot and they've been in the hands of people who have no clue how to look after them. Not all EP's are like that obviously but finding one that's been cherished is a bit of a unicorn find now.

Thanks guys

I'm actually not after a complete minter at the moment, basically my current daily has blown up, and I've always fancied one of these. Fits the bill perfectly for the moment.

So I just want something that's got a fair history, maybe enthuisast owned for a while, just someone I get a good vibe off when I view or speak to them! And a bonus if I didn't loose too much on it over the year.

The trouble I find with dealers/trade is that it's just a quick bit of cash for them. They know nothing about the car. How it runs, if it uses oil, etc etc... and even worse they just get it 'valeted' by the locals for £5 which makes them swirl nicely. Damn it....

One on pistonheads came up last night that seems to fit the bill OK, but it's up for waaay more money than it's actually worth I think (comparing to ebay sold prices over the last few months!!)

I'm going to see if he has any movement, I'll happily buy it for what it's worth and some more, or he can keep it listed for months on end lol!

Cheers

I personally wouldn't bother with one that's been polybushed if it's doing to be a daily/road only car.

With the prices rising for U.K versions that are low mileage, a JDM version makes much more sense to me.

DC5 gearbox
LSD
Better interior

And while being looked after better, lower mileage and you won't lose money they seem a very good investment at the moment.

Depends if you want to save up or you're in a position for a loan.

The problem with U.K EP3's is they have passed hands a lot and they've been in the hands of people who have no clue how to look after them. Not all EP's are like that obviously but finding one that's been cherished is a bit of a unicorn find now.

Yeah I was really lucky with mine as it was at a dealer, one owner from new, FHSH and completely standard, 45k miles. Paid a bit over the odds but still have it three years on and still glad I do.

I do around 20 miles per day commuting to work =100miles

Weekend I do 50 miles to and back from coventry = 100miles.

And your average few miles popping here and there throughout the week.

I put in £30 worth of fuel every week and theres usually still just under a quarter of tank left. Never been on the yellow light when putting this amount of fuel in and doing the above journeys.

300miles you will need a full tank which is around £50. If you drive the car sensibly they can be good on fuel...but if you start racing round it soon goes down.

Reliability - I've owned my car 3 years almost maybe longer. I honestly feel that my car could do a stupid journey and i wouldn't worry, start in the coldest of weathers...never had an issue whatsoever in relation to the engine. Car starts up every day, day in day out. I've done over 700 miles over 3 days in it and it just does the job.

The only issues I've with my car are mainly related to the modifications which I've had done and wear and tear like brakes and pads etc. Only major thing i had to replace was steering rack which cost me around £260 fitted. The parts are generally quite cheap and there are a lot of second hand parts on the market. I don't really have a great paid job... but when there has been something wrong I've never worried, because it is quite cheap to have these cars repaired in my personal experience unless its something major like engine issues or like you say gearbox.

If you look after the car well, it will look after you!

This is what I usually pay regular to get done so you can see what its like to run these cars;

Service: I Have service every year at Honda hQ. Oil change and oil filter costs around £55. I recently had Spark plugs, Oil change, Oil filter, Gearbox oil all done for £140. Spark plugs usually only need changing every 2-3 years. Whenever i get an oil change i always get the gearbox oil changed as in my opinion i think its worth it as it costs nothing essentially to have that piece of mind. Air filter... if you've got an induction kit you can either clean them or replace yourself. Fuel filter and brake fluid also pretty cheap to replace. Money is mainly in the Spark plugs. Fuel filter should really changed 80k and over but is a lifetime filter.

Tyres: Everyone has a budget...I've ran budget tyres, and expensive tyres. Cheapest tyres brand new your looking round £35 a tyre I've had them when times have been tough and they've been absolutely fine... and obviously you can spend what you want on tyres...i currently run Yokohama AD08 R which i paid around £100ish per tyre! Obviously there is a big difference on grip but it just depends what you use the car for.

Brakes - If your running Standard Brakes to buy....front discs are around £80 a pair and rear discs are around £70 a pair and pads your looking £40 for front £30 for rear. You of course would need someone to fit and this would cost extra. For example I had brand padgid new rear pads, discs and callipers fitted at £320.

Clutch - The clutches are pretty strong in these if you was looking to get replaced... You can get a excedy clutch and gearbox oil fitted at £320 at Honda hq. I spoke to Abp motorsport and they say they should be changed at around 70k but this is obviously depending on the car. I've still got original clutch in mine and feels great still... and is on 57000miles. Check when it was last replaced, should be in service book.

Timing Chain - Timing Chain and Guides for Genuine honda chain your looking £480 fitted at honda hq. This again depends on the car they can last well over 100k.

Rust - These cars can rust quite easily underneath so it is worth checking underneath. Due to the age of these cars now the factory underseal wears away and goes to bare metal so is recommended to get undersealed. I got my car fully waxoyled when i bought it for £245 (chassis, underbody, all cavities, frames, box sections, axels and suspension, and door cavities). You only need to do this every 3-5 years. For just the underside of the car (top up after 3-5 years) looking at £125. Well worth the money for piece of mind especially if you keeping vehicle long time.

Things to think about when your buying one;

Millano red - Fades and gets Lacquor peel. I have a millano red ep3, I'm absolutely fine now with the faded paint work, and have not bothered to get it resprayed. I've learned to live with it. However if you think you can just polish it up... don't bother...once you have it mopped you just have to keep waxing to keep the colour up. Black cars, they look great but i had experience whenever i went and looked at one i found your common swirl marks in the paint and also EP3'S chip lots on the bonnet and it looks obvious on the black cars and red cars. Colour wise in my opinion i think the silver actually looks really nice and fresh, and wish i opted for this colour... but of course it is not as striking as the grey,black and red.

Sticking rear callipers - common problem I and my friends have both experienced. Will require replacement callipers and probably discs and pads.

Overall all i can say is its not in my opinion a expensive car to run.. along as you keep on top of things and look after it will be fine. The car is so practical and has a big boot. I've always had german cars in the past and this has honestly been more reliable and cheaper to repair. This also has been a car which i have never got bored of and you can get addicted when modifying. There is so much you can do with these cars and it really will put a smile on your face. It is just doing your checks and make sure you look at plenty of cars. I looked at about 10 cars before i decided to buy mine... it pays to travel and look at cars further way. These cars are shooting up in price, and you can struggle to find them under 100k these days! Some are fetching around 5-7k with 60k on the clock.

When buying my car i actually paid a mechanic to come with me to check the car over... as i know nothing...he took it on a test drive and let me know of anything which would require doing... So this might be something you might want to look into.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm honest i don't think that car is overpriced, most of these cars have passed through a lot of owners. if you like the car the good thing if its private theres always room for negotiation anyway. These cars can go from anything from £1500 to £7000 obviously depending on the mileage and condition . I've seen 20k-40k mile cars be advertised for £8.5k and £10k it's crazy. I think for what your looking for you have at least got to be looking at £4000 up for a car with between 80k and 90k will full history and straight bodywork. Have you thought of looking into a Pre-facelift? These command less money usually not by much but there are some really nice ones out there. I bought my car with 29000 miles 3 years ago now full honda history, pre-facelift and was advertised on piston heads at £5500 back then! The car was based 80 miles away from me because there was nothing local.....The cars paint was faded down the one and the owner was in his 60's and it had faded because he parked it in same spot, i offered a price which i thought was fair.. £3800 the car was completely immaculate apart from the faded paint (i offered this price calculating a respray so it would make me feel better about buying the car). He said no i walked away...2 weeks later he called and i offered him less £3500 and i owned it. This car would of put a lot of people off because of the paint...however its been brilliant, due to the low mileage the car has just been better in every way because its been looked after mechanically and at the time was essentially a new car really. If reliability is your main concern your better off buying a lower mileage car...you will however most likely end up doing all the common faults and stuff anyway for piece of mind. Just be careful of buying from a dealer...they offer these warranties to try make you feel comfortable buying a car from them..really they are more hassle then they are worth due to the fact they will just say it's wear and tear or they make you go with a garage who is registered with them to get it repaired.

That seems a fair price in my opinion.
Mine is a very similar spec and mileage, and if I was looking to sell then I would be looking for around the same. Good luck with search though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that looks a fairly decent buy. Got to be worth a look.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Guys, I've seen one come up I quite like the look of - just ashame it doesn't have any modifications other than a 'B' pipe.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...ivic-mk6-type-r------------------2005/7791702

What do you guys think?

I can't help but feel whilst it looks a great example, it's slightly overpriced going on ebay 'sold' prices, even 1 owner cars have sold for far less.

Argh!

Cheers. :p

Just because a car on eBay shows that it sold for that, it doesn't mean money actually changed hands. I think it looks like an alright example and it's priced accordingly.

I do around 20 miles per day commuting to work =100miles

Weekend I do 50 miles to and back from coventry = 100miles.

And your average few miles popping here and there throughout the week.

I put in £30 worth of fuel every week and theres usually still just under a quarter of tank left. Never been on the yellow light when putting this amount of fuel in and doing the above journeys.

300miles you will need a full tank which is around £50. If you drive the car sensibly they can be good on fuel...but if you start racing round it soon goes down.

Reliability - I've owned my car 3 years almost maybe longer. I honestly feel that my car could do a stupid journey and i wouldn't worry, start in the coldest of weathers...never had an issue whatsoever in relation to the engine. Car starts up every day, day in day out. I've done over 700 miles over 3 days in it and it just does the job.

The only issues I've with my car are mainly related to the modifications which I've had done and wear and tear like brakes and pads etc. Only major thing i had to replace was steering rack which cost me around £260 fitted. The parts are generally quite cheap and there are a lot of second hand parts on the market. I don't really have a great paid job... but when there has been something wrong I've never worried, because it is quite cheap to have these cars repaired in my personal experience unless its something major like engine issues or like you say gearbox.

If you look after the car well, it will look after you!

This is what I usually pay regular to get done so you can see what its like to run these cars;

Service: I Have service every year at Honda hQ. Oil change and oil filter costs around £55. I recently had Spark plugs, Oil change, Oil filter, Gearbox oil all done for £140. Spark plugs usually only need changing every 2-3 years. Whenever i get an oil change i always get the gearbox oil changed as in my opinion i think its worth it as it costs nothing essentially to have that piece of mind. Air filter... if you've got an induction kit you can either clean them or replace yourself. Fuel filter and brake fluid also pretty cheap to replace. Money is mainly in the Spark plugs. Fuel filter should really changed 80k and over but is a lifetime filter.

Tyres: Everyone has a budget...I've ran budget tyres, and expensive tyres. Cheapest tyres brand new your looking round £35 a tyre I've had them when times have been tough and they've been absolutely fine... and obviously you can spend what you want on tyres...i currently run Yokohama AD08 R which i paid around £100ish per tyre! Obviously there is a big difference on grip but it just depends what you use the car for.

Brakes - If your running Standard Brakes to buy....front discs are around £80 a pair and rear discs are around £70 a pair and pads your looking £40 for front £30 for rear. You of course would need someone to fit and this would cost extra. For example I had brand padgid new rear pads, discs and callipers fitted at £320.

Clutch - The clutches are pretty strong in these if you was looking to get replaced... You can get a excedy clutch and gearbox oil fitted at £320 at Honda hq. I spoke to Abp motorsport and they say they should be changed at around 70k but this is obviously depending on the car. I've still got original clutch in mine and feels great still... and is on 57000miles. Check when it was last replaced, should be in service book.

Timing Chain - Timing Chain and Guides for Genuine honda chain your looking £480 fitted at honda hq. This again depends on the car they can last well over 100k.

Rust - These cars can rust quite easily underneath so it is worth checking underneath. Due to the age of these cars now the factory underseal wears away and goes to bare metal so is recommended to get undersealed. I got my car fully waxoyled when i bought it for £245 (chassis, underbody, all cavities, frames, box sections, axels and suspension, and door cavities). You only need to do this every 3-5 years. For just the underside of the car (top up after 3-5 years) looking at £125. Well worth the money for piece of mind especially if you keeping vehicle long time.

Things to think about when your buying one;

Millano red - Fades and gets Lacquor peel. I have a millano red ep3, I'm absolutely fine now with the faded paint work, and have not bothered to get it resprayed. I've learned to live with it. However if you think you can just polish it up... don't bother...once you have it mopped you just have to keep waxing to keep the colour up. Black cars, they look great but i had experience whenever i went and looked at one i found your common swirl marks in the paint and also EP3'S chip lots on the bonnet and it looks obvious on the black cars and red cars. Colour wise in my opinion i think the silver actually looks really nice and fresh, and wish i opted for this colour... but of course it is not as striking as the grey,black and red.

Sticking rear callipers - common problem I and my friends have both experienced. Will require replacement callipers and probably discs and pads.

Overall all i can say is its not in my opinion a expensive car to run.. along as you keep on top of things and look after it will be fine. The car is so practical and has a big boot. I've always had german cars in the past and this has honestly been more reliable and cheaper to repair. This also has been a car which i have never got bored of and you can get addicted when modifying. There is so much you can do with these cars and it really will put a smile on your face. It is just doing your checks and make sure you look at plenty of cars. I looked at about 10 cars before i decided to buy mine... it pays to travel and look at cars further way. These cars are shooting up in price, and you can struggle to find them under 100k these days! Some are fetching around 5-7k with 60k on the clock.

When buying my car i actually paid a mechanic to come with me to check the car over... as i know nothing...he took it on a test drive and let me know of anything which would require doing... So this might be something you might want to look into.

Good luck with your search!
How did you know you needed a new steering rack?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

How did you know you needed a new steering rack?

There was a clunking sound coming from the steering at low speeds, car would not stay in a straight line even after i had FRSU and it fully set up. When id turn the wheel while driving almost seemed like there was a lag and the car wouldn't respond as it should, almost like its numb. A lot of the time with these its just the slider which needs replacing...however i replaced this and the issue continued so i changed the rack and it cured the issue.

There was a clunking sound coming from the steering at low speeds, car would not stay in a straight line even after i had FRSU and it fully set up. When id turn the wheel while driving almost seemed like there was a lag and the car wouldn't respond as it should, almost like its numb. A lot of the time with these its just the slider which needs replacing...however i replaced this and the issue continued so i changed the rack and it cured the issue.
Thank you

The K100 will give you better drivability due to more usable power in the middle of the power band.
You may even get better mpg day to day if driven normally

Will be very easy to drive that daily, Basically what I drive at the moment

DO IT, you will only end up doing the mods yourself, save some money in the long run :lol:

Assuming the car looks in decent condition with all those extras already on the car as Jimbo said you will save in the long run.

I got my car as standard and it's hard work trying to save up to get all the modifications done. No matter how much you think it will fine to keep it standard it doesn't seem to work :D

Erm, I still haven't found a half decent EP3 to buy.

I think I've gone clinically insane.

ALL I WANT IS A PREM EP3 in half decent nick, some mods and in cosmic grey not located in fekkin' Scotland!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

Needed to vent that.

Back