• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Newbie questions.

Danger200

Hi people

first time poster on this forum, hopefully be a regular when i get my CTR :D cant wait!!!!

im sure these questions have been asked a million times before, but i have a few queries before i go out and buy one.
both me and my mate are going to test drive and purchase one of these lil beasty's some time soon. the only thing is, he has a bigger budget when it comes down to buying, but im goin to modify mine.
i was just wondering what CTR is the one to go for, pre-facelift or facelift, fogs/no fogs, im not too fussed about A/C but my friend is.
im not too sure on the models and options (im an ex ford man) so im stepping into new territory here lol. also how easy are they to modify, like air filter, exhaust, ecu mapping etc as i want to make mine quicker than the ones where i live lol theres a few going about and they are all standard but still very fast.

i drove my friends CRX and have now been bitten by the Vtec bug, i need one in my life lol

cheers for your help people

In terms of models they only do one but with extras available, depending on what you want depends whetehr you go for fogs or not and whether you have ac or not.
There are d different variants of the type R giving you slightly different spec. Pre facelift which is upto 04 plate which are the original ones 0-60 in 6.7 I believe
The facelift received projector headlights, different front bumper, lighter flywheel, different gearing making 0-60 in 6.2 or 6.4 can't rember so a bit quicker but nothing major. Then you have 2 special editions as such. The 30th Anniversary editiong giving red Recaro seats and the Premier edition giving you Red/black Recaro's red carpets, blacked out windows and A/C as standard.
Modifing is as easy as any other car really but sometimes more expensive due to sourcing parts from Japan and with the exchange rate currently this is not cheap but as most people one here would probably agree. It's totally worth the money. Hope this helps a bit

hello and welcome.

I think that you need to see something that you like. it doesn't matter if it's pre or facelift, alot of the guys one here have preferences just because it's what they like; I have a facelift and I like it, but that's just me.

You wont notice much of a difference between the 2, a few tweeks were made to it, but unless your last name is Button you wont feel it.

Find what you like and enjoy it!

Welcome to the forum.

As the other have said, there's only really one model (EP3 that is anyway) and it's all really just variations on a theme. The facelift boasts a faster 0-60mph time on paper due to a lighter flywheel, but in real world terms, this is hardly noticeable if not at all. The steering was also improved on the facelift models, although all CTR's can be a little light at the rear end if you're late on the brakes (incidentally, the lack of feel due to the electronic steering is one of the EP3's main down points).

If your budget can stretch, I would personally go for a Premier model as these are the newest variant of the model and come with added extras such as the Recaro seats, Red Carpet and tinted rear windows. If your budget doesn't stretch that far then I would snap up a 30th anniversary if you can find one (only 300 were made though). These also have the same spec as the Premier CTR's but they are the pre facelift variant, so they're a little older (2003). They're my personal favourite, but I am biased, as I used to own one! :)

wow cheers for the quick response peeps.
haha biased comments there but thats what i like to read people who love them regardless.
well, to put it simply i want recaros and fog lights lol. i have a 1993 fiesta atm so ive managed to live without AC, and the "summers" we have here arent something an open window cant sort out.

ok well im looking to spend 6.5g at the most really. ive seen a few tidy examples on the trader for like 5.5g which dont look too bad and have fair mileage. is there anything that needs to be changed after a certain amount of miles, like with the audi tt after 60,000 the water pump needs changing, something like that. so i know to haggle if it wrent sorted.

is that 30th anniversary one white by any chance? i like white, im prob going to go for the grey as my gf has a black car which looks amazing after a good clean but one drive and the thing is filthy and dusty, too much hassle for me lol.

i assumed the moding will be dear, but the main things i get hold of for it once i buy it will be suspension, brakes, 'zorst, filter and a chip. any recommendations?
ive tried looking for chips but turned a blank apart from "hondata"

i tend to drive where im late on the brakes, is it easy to get into control?

haha i wish i drove like button, but your right those types of figures there not much of a margin. do CTR's really have a chain and not a belt?

Wow thats a lot of questions, main ones first. Civics are indeed chain driven and the only thing to look for is full service history using the correct oils etc as the engines can be delicate if not looked after properly. (If they are looked after properly they are bomb proof) With 6.5k you should be able to get a low milage late facelift model but you probably wont get into a premier for that money. The white one you refer to is the Japanese import version which is a very different animal, it has red recaro's, tinted windows, thicker anti roll bars, slightly more power a more aggresive gear ratio but is mapped to run on 100Ron fuel so looses a tiny bit of power on UK juice.
As for modding exhuasts range between £350-£1500 depening on what you want. Inductions kits the best is the GruppeM which is about £850atm but there are cheaper that still do well.
When it comes to mapping Hondata is the only way to go there are 3 different choices, 1, Hondata reflash gives good results with induction kit and exhaust
2, K100 mappable and good for most applications,
3, Kpro fully tunable plus USB connection for more accurate tuning and data logging.
These range from about £400 - £900 fitted and tuned.

Think that covers everything if I have made any mistakes i'm sure they will be corrected as some on here have a lot more knowledge than me

Milano Red FTW!

I shouldn't imagine you'll notice any differences in the driving experience between pre and post face. I personally prefer the look of the post face-lift, it has nicer bumpers, headlights, indicators in the wing mirrors and red inserts in the non-recaro seats (which are super comfy by the way).

Just go drive a few, and buy the one that feels the tightest and has the best service history.

Good luck man, you'll love it :D

what does FTW mean? lol

what grade oil should they use 5w30? and is it fully or semi skinned? lol
regarding the exhaust it would probably be a cat back then when/if im feeling flush i will prob get manifold and sports cat. i also done want an exhaust that sounds like a fart in a tin, theres too many max powered up civics and it ruins them, although i do want people to hear me coming .
DAMN!!! 850quid for an induction kit, you cant be serious??? for a bit of foam and a pipe.

do you get this hondata from honda? or is it like super chips and bluefin where they have distributors? ill prob go with the first or second flash as i dont think i will be stepping into the realms of cams and inlet modifications and dont want it to idle like a dog.

yeah test drives tend to show up the faults, i cant wait tho, they look so nice and when that VTEC scream kicks in they sound sweet

FTW = For The Win

Well it's slightly more than a piece of pipe and foam, Search for Gruppe M in google and see the results! Oil depends on usages I use 5w-30 at the moment but have used others in the past and it's always fully synthetic that you need. There are distributors for the Hondata search your area to find out who.

haha oh right i thought it was WTF but spelt wrong as a laugh or summit lol.

well i looked up the Gruppe M and your paying alot of money for something that dont even fit lol. either way i will probably just be happy with a K&N cone filter with a cold air feed. im serious about modding but i could spend that money on a nice set of wheels, suspension, 'zorst etc.

so does anyone know of a tuning company near kent who deal with type r's? i found that TDi north website but they are like 4 hours away lol. dont one of the members import some goodies for japan? what do people on this forum think of japanese style plates?

TGM in Fleet is your best option.

Gruppe M is expensive, but it's the best out there by a fair stretch. AEM CAI also give good gains and is cheaper, but your filter is located down in the wheel arch, so it susceptible to getting wet in puddles etc which can lead to hydrolock and a new engine.

Do Not Want.

ahh no do not want that at all, my mum went into a large puddle that was also quite deep her car cut out then she tried to start it again sucking a load of water into the engine. so is it in the wheel arch so that it dont suffer from the heat soak?
quite surprising that there arent any copies out there for something like that.

what about exhausts? sorry to keep on but i like to have a plan of action in my head to make my CTR unique lol

The AEM sits behind the front bumper on the passenger but sits just above the floor panel hence why it can pick up water. I have a hydro shield on mine which eliminates most of that and because of my bumber letting in lots of air I have modded the panel underneath so it is water tight.

Exhausts is a never ending question really and depending who you speak to you will get a different answer. CTR's rely on decent gas flow to gain power so a good cat back is essential. I like the Buddy club range and have a spec III personally but I also love the look of the J's racing one ust cannot justify over £1k for any exhaust system.

i can see from your sig that your bumper looks like it has a wider opening at the front, is that a standard bumper? are these hydro shields are they available from CTR tuning companies or did you fabricate it yourself?

yeah s/s cat back will be my first port of call. that j's racing exhaust looks pretty cool. buddy club looks like a pretty decent exhaust and is really light aswell, and isnt too badly priced. is it really loud?

No the bumper I have is the Buddy club one. It lets a lot more air in and has vents on the side which go into the wheel arch giving the filter lots of air. The Hydro shield is made by Injen and I got mine from www.funkypower.com fits perfectly over the AEM filter.

You right the Buddy club exhausts are very light and give good gains. sound is nothing terrible it has a couple of points in the rev range which are very drowny but nothing that can't be lived with.

here is an idea of the sound for you, (mods I hope this is ok I know some sites are funny about videos on public roads i was within speed limits)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtM4kbQEMIE

that sounds nice, not cheap like the rage exhausts you used to be able to get from motor world that would then b fitted to a 1.1 pug 106 with 17" wheels and go faster stripes lol.

so u like buddy club then, must be a good company. do they have a website or is it just from distributors? i wouldnt mind finding a decent website that ships out good products. ive found a few but ive saved the links at work so i cant copy them into this thread. cheers for your help though mate

Back