• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

no vtec engagement

just a quick one guys , i own a cosmic ep3 , 38,500 on the clock. owned it for about 3 weeks and noticed that the vtec isnt engaging as much as it was when we bought it , i got in touch with the garage to ask about the oil used and have checked the levels everyday , the dipstick is showing at half way between both holes , the oil used by the garage was apparently 10w-40 so my question is what else can it be, today ive bought decent oil mobil 1 s and going to run it until needs a top up , kind of stumped on this one any help would be appreciated thanks

Thanks

yeah i thought that myself mate , having spoke to the guy at the garage he had said that because it was serviced with 10w-40 i would have to top up with the same grade of oil , total newbie when it comes to the vtec scenario , as for the solenoid i have no idea what that means or how i would go about checking it , i just wanna feel that kick that is the vtec lol, will the 10w-40 i,ve bought not do any good or improve the performance .and can i top up with 5w-40 after the service was done using 10w-40, HELP!!

Use the same grade of oil to top it up.
Also check the air filter. A chap that runs a K20'd Elise had a similar problem & it turned out to be the air filter was rotten, he cleaned it & it worked great.

Re: The solenoid, do a search on here, I'm sure it will help.

so the oils fine for topping up ,nice one , glad it wasnt a wasted purchase , as far as the air filter goes wouldnt that of been done on the service at 38,000?, its a strange one because it was fine 3 weeks ago and its beginnig to hack me off

as far as the air filter goes wouldnt that of been done on the service at 38,000?

I can't remember if it's done every service or just every major service..... check the service book that'll tell you but have a look in the airbox too, it won't be the first time a dealer has charged but not bothered to change the filter....

If it was brilliant 3 weeks ago, and now it's gone, I'd say it's salenoid.

Or, has it gradually gone..?

i can still feel a slight engagement although its nowhere near as strong as it was , i thought it may have been an oil issue but ive followed all the steps as to building up the pressure and keeping an eye on levels , going to check the filter once i found out how to, (didnt receive a manual when we got the car ).

just had a look there , the screws surrounding the box are rusty and cant budge them , may well be a air filter judging by the screws

You'll only feel a proper kick at wide open throttle, part throttle and the kick will be reduced. This has caught some people out.

Or it could be that 3 weeks in you're used to it now and therefore you need to mod the hell out of it to feel anything??

Familiarity and all that.

Just a thought. :)

ok guys i,ll leave it at that and get back with an update tommorow , to be honest ive not really had the chance to giv her the full beans yet , my vtec attempts have been 3rd gear behond traffic on the ** as of yet lol , update to follow thanks for your time .

Air filter is done every service IIRC. I checked mine recently and it was manky after 9000 miles. It had a particularly nasty lump of dirt where it sits against the air intake, so I turned it round, so that the air taken in through a cleaner bit of the filter.

Don't run the car down to the minimum mark before topping the oil up. Keep it topped up the maximum all the time.

Engine Oil Filter - Every Service
Air Cleaner Element - Every 25k
Dust & Pollen Filter - Every 25k

Back