• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

No Vtec in 6th gear

Hi guys,
I'm having a slight issue.... my car engages vtec in every gear except 6th gear. Do you guys have any ideas? Or has anyone else here been through something similar?

It probably is working it just isn't noticeable in 6th and at those speeds.

its not engaging because after 5th gear at 8300 rpm changing to 6th won't go beyond 5500 revs or so maybe 5600 revs...

I hit Vtec in 6th once :smt047 , it was on my Ex's, Dad's goat farm (private land).

I knew I was in Vtec because teh Gruppe 'M was giving its usual distinctive pitch.

The was no kick, just a change in sound.

Vtec in 6th is doesnt feel that safe in a EP3, feels dodgy, unlike a V8 M3 where it still feels like you're pootleing along at 90mph.

I hit Vtec in 6th once :smt047 , it was on my Ex's, Dad's goat farm (private land).

I knew I was in Vtec because teh Gruppe 'M was giving its usual distinctive pitch.

The was no kick, just a change in sound.

Vtec in 6th is doesnt feel that safe in a EP3, feels dodgy, unlike a V8 M3 where it still feels like you're pootleing along at 90mph.

:lol: I swear you posted a video not so long ago of you on this goat farm.

And I have hit vtec in 6th, this is before I fitted my exhaust and I noticed it. If your revs arent going higher than 5500rpm, sounds like a fault or some kind. Have you chipped it?

I haven't chipped it, but how would this be a problem. I have noticed that it just does not feel like the car is just not pulling as it once was in general. The car is however decatted, im not sure if this was mapped as it was done by the previous owner and it has a apexi vtec controller attached to it but it is turned off and has never been turned on since I bought the car. I've got a P0135 code and this is the only code, but i assumed this was there because of the decat. I'm sure sensors can only affect fuelling + or -3 percent and im almost certain mine is richer rather than leaner. But what would the symptoms be if the timing chain was stretching, would i be getting any blatant symptoms? Like a loss of power?

well then its been mapped as it was never like this before... in fact it dyno'd 225 couple of years ago..

173kmh = vtec on the bahn. But you only notice a bit of a change in the engine tone.
And at the speed you are already running out of puff so there is not much to come in terms of a feeling of "pull".

mines not going anywhere near 130....even though 6th gear should still reach the vtec point and then pull more regardless.

Back