• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Noisey valves/tappets??

Hi all,

over the past few months my 05 plate CTR has started to develop a noise from the engine.

It sounds like a tappet or valve noise when you hit about 2.5k revs.
Its the sort of noise you get with a cold engine.

Its just hit 30k and on the last service when the valves were checked they said they didnt need adjusting.

Its definately not the vtec cover or heatshield noise.

Any ideas?

TIA

Nick

Nick, the valve clearances should ALL be checked and adjusted at the 2nd (25k) service.

If Lindhill have pulled a flanker again I will not be suprised. :evil:

Morty.

I would have thought that if the tappets were playing up then you would have got poor performance or tapping sounds right throughout the rev' range.

I serviced my car the other day with Dad - he's my friendly MOT inspector too - and we took our time doing the tappets [50K service]. All the tappets were fine and did not need adjusting.

When we were busy mooching about underneath the car, I was hitting the heatshields to see if they were causing my 3,500-4,500 rpm rattle. All were secure. However, Dad spotted a snapped bracket that secures the clutch pipe to the gearbox. The best way to get access to this bracket is to remove the airbox completely so you can get to the top of the gearbox. The bracket is L-shaped. We did a temporary fix with some cable-ties and a metal hoop that is sticking out on the gearbox housing. It still rattles but at 5,000rpm now. A new bracket cost £7.

Hope this may help. ;)

in severe cold, mine sounds like there is a pound coin rattling around in there. would any independent garage be ok to do the tappets?
i dont trust the local honda place, they were supposed to do this on the 72k service but they didnt. and they scratched the wing :mad:

Back