• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Not Good Vibrations

Hello there.
Just wondering if anyone has experienced the following:-
When I get up to around 100mph (on closed roads of course!) I start to get vibrations coming through the steering wheel. Also, when I brake from this sort of speed (no matter how lightly I press the brake) I feel vibrations coming up though the peddle.
Up until now the car has always been very smooth even close to the max but it really doesn’t feel good at high speed at the moment.
The vibration doesn’t seem to fade away.
I took the car for wheel balancing and although it did need doing, it does not seem to have fixed the problem.
On its first MOT (2 months ago) it was mentioned that the front discs were worn. Could this cause vibrations whilst driving as well as under braking? The car has done 73500 miles.
Thanks in advance for any comment/suggestions
Jim

I looked at new discs when i felt this same problem, BUT, apparently it can be down to the aero kit on the car. The wing on the rear can cause more downforce than is necessary. This causes the front end to lighten and makes the front of the car slightly wobbly. I was told this by a local guy who races a Scoob, and he said at certain speeds this is just an after effect. BUT, it is still worth getting your discs checked, you never know, especially as it is there under braking;)

I can't remember any vibrations up to 140mph on my own private drive. Must be the discs.

I looked at new discs when i felt this same problem, BUT, apparently it can be down to the aero kit on the car. The wing on the rear can cause more downforce than is necessary. This causes the front end to lighten and makes the front of the car slightly wobbly.

Nah, if that were the case they'd all do it as they all have the same spoiler/kit....

Might be a CV joint.

Had the near side CV gaitor split on my Civic, had CV joint inspected and was told it was fine, no movement or noise, so had just the joint re-greased and gaitor replaced.

Started to notice the same wobbles as you describe, so I replaced the front discs and pads and one caliper (had already previously replaced one), and it made no difference. :(

Got fed up in the end, so replaced the CV joint, and problem solved! :)

This would be handy for me also, my car has just started with this problem, although mine dosen't seem to do it all the time but still around the same speed at 90mph + :( i know i DO need to replace the break pads though :rolleyes:

i had the same prob on sat night but it was more around the 140 mark. on the track of course

Thanks for all the replies.

How much does a CV joint cost to replace??

There seem to be a lot of no-brand discs on ebay.........has anyone got any thoughts/experience of them?

Thanks again

Jim

How much does a CV joint cost to replace??

There seem to be a lot of no-brand discs on ebay.........has anyone got any thoughts/experience of them?

Thanks again

Jim

Think I paid approx. £25 for the part (not Honda original), and about £30 fitting. Just to be clear, my Civic is an EK4, not an EP3, so prices may vary, but I wouldn't imagine there would be much difference price wise.

Thanks again

Jim

I've just bought a set of Mintex front discs and pads off ebay for £83 delivered. NickCTR swears by them, and it's not exactly expensive for branded discs.

I'd stay away from unbranded discs. Quality may not be that good, and it's hardly an area you want to take chances on!

I've just bought a set of Mintex front discs and pads off ebay for £83 delivered. NickCTR swears by them

Correct, after 20 minutes of town driving, the brakes were shot. I took one look at the the n/s disc and shouted ****.

:getcoat:

I can't remember any vibrations up to 140mph on my own private drive. Must be the discs.

lol you know this!! Mine start at 140 too! at my local kart track........

Sadly if it were the disks it wouldn't vibrate unless under braking.

Check the front suspension links. Not sure if its a common fault or the way I drive but I've always needed to change them one point or another.

Serious tip: Dont use genuine. Firstly their 40quid each secondly they have plastic rivets which is what makes them snap. Decent aftermarket ones only 20quid and have proper rivets.

Hope this helps mate, and for your own good, you dont wonna be seeing 100 till you get this sorted.

Woud it not vibrate if the disks were warped though?

Also with the ebay Mintex discs and Pads...... do the pads need much warming up? I had Red Stuff for a while on the front but because I do loads of motorway driving they never seemed to get warmed up and always felt a bit dull. dont recon I would get them again.

Cheers

Start with the basics.

Have the tyres got a good depth of tread on them?
Are they old?
Have they seen a hard life?
Is the pressure correct?

Then move on to the other stuff (Brakes, CV's, driveshafts etc) In simple terms, anthing that is rotating will contribute to the vibration, anything that should be hold rotating things rigid may be worn and allowing vibration. (check you drop links, bushes, track rod ends etc)

Also don't forget the rear of the car - a problem there can often be felt through the front of the car ;)

Back