• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Not Good Vibrations

Start with the basics.

Have the tyres got a good depth of tread on them?
Are they old?
Have they seen a hard life?
Is the pressure correct?

Then move on to the other stuff (Brakes, CV's, driveshafts etc) In simple terms, anthing that is rotating will contribute to the vibration, anything that should be hold rotating things rigid may be worn and allowing vibration. (check you drop links, bushes, track rod ends etc)

Also don't forget the rear of the car - a problem there can often be felt through the front of the car ;)

A very good point.

One would assume the tyre condition would have been determined before posting this thread! ;)

Without casting aspersions on the OP. They are very often not!:rolleyes:

Would it be silly to suggest giving the nuts a tighten then!? :whistle

lol

Had a similar thing on my old Saxo. I had loads done in one go and it cured it so don't really know what it was.

Replaced odd size tyres, don't ask! It passed the MOT and they were on when i bought it!! (175/60/14 on one side 175/65/14 on the other) Also o/s drive shaft, o/s suspension arm, balancing and tracking.

I only took it to the garage for a deal on half price tracking. They threw that in for nowt, but they saw me coming...

Taking it in to the garage next week.

As for the typres, they are Potenzas all round and the oldest ones have only done about 6K.

I had the problem before taking it for the wheel balancing and after so I assume the wheels are on properly.:lol:

Yeah! All pumped up fine. Just had a long drive down to Bath and deffo starting to think that its not just the brakes. Doesn't feel too good on corners. (It might sound strange but the problem seems to be worse if I have just been on a long bend like a motorway slip road) Just have to wait and see what the garage say I guess.

I just hope they don't have my pants down!!!

its worth checking tyre tread. as i had slightly warn the inside edge causing a wuuuurring noise like a wheel bearing, the noise started at about 60 mph and continued. new tyre and problem gone

Just been for a drive after the 75000 mile service. Told honda that the brakes were being replaced and so the only thing they could find wrong apart from that was that the wheels needed balancing!!!

Good old kwik Fit appear to have charged me 20 buff to do nothing.

Honda wanted £490 for the service. Got them down to £360 (bit anoying they don't just give you their best price first) it drives great again. Still a slight virbration on braking but have ordered a set of 4 Mintex discs off ebay today.

Does anyone have an idea of how much they will cost to fit?

Thanks for all your replies.

Fit them your self, it aint that hard and it will save you some cash after getting raped at honda!

Its not hard as long as you've got access to some sort of ramp. I was doing my front discs t'other week with the car on a jack and it was a nightmare.

No room to get a long wrench in to crack the piston carrier bolts round the rear of the disc.

I ended up taking mine to the local F1 autocentre, where they originally said they'd charge an hours labour (£52). In the end they said it didnt take long, so they put it through as a wheel alignment for £29.95.

If you know a cheap but decent garage then they shouldn't charge you more than a couple of hours labour at the most.

If you can get it on a ramp and have the right tools then its an easy job.

Got to dissagree slightly there matey. All you need is a ring spanner and the palm of your hand or at worst a tap with a hammer on teh end of the spanner to get the bolts shifted. Brake pads is basic DIY fair -although I know its not for all of us so not trying to have a dig ;)

The one tool you will need is an impact driver to shift the disc retained screw. When I did my front sidcs for the first time on my EP3 I ended up drillign the screw head off and persuading the disc off with a club hammer! Impact driver is soo much easier!

However, these are brakes we're talking about, so if you are not sure, get it done by a proffessional!!

Well I was walloping a ring spanner with a 4lb lump hammer (and 18 stone behind it!) to get the bolts to crack, and they wouldn't budge. Depends on how tight they were torqued up I spose, and whether they had grease on them, but mine were a right tw@t!

Back