• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Nw Honda Civic Wheel Woes

After buying and driving and going on holiday, giving my new car a quick wash in the first week, I have come back and given it a good clean! To my surprise I have noticed the paint missing on the spokes of each wheel on the inside radius - not an issue on most wheels I guess BUT on these it looks terrible and when the car has been detailed it sticks out like - well paint missing off parts of the wheel you can see from standing next to the car, my mate did not have to have it pointed out and spotted it withing seconds.....
Anyone else have this issue? or maybe you have been taken up with driving the car rather than giving it a clean? You can see the missing paint on the backs of the spokes and on the radius of the spoke as it merges with the rim - ALL ok IF you could not see it from just standing next to the car - but you can and on my car its like this on every spoke Honda UK do know about this I have been told but are unwilling at this point to sort it - SO do you have a car or one on order IF you have one on order make sure you tell them you wont accept it IF the wheels are dirty on the back and you cant see the wheel finish .....

12022464_641188209354105_3338104583395056371_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have washed mine and i havent noticed anything but i will have a look tomorrow. I had to have one of my wheels taken off as a stone got stuck between the breaks and i didnt notice anything.

Surly if your not happy that have to do something about it.

I didn't notice on any of the three I've seen so far.

You've three courses of action as far as I can see. Either keep pestering your dealer until they sort it stating it's not acceptable etc., get it sorted out at a bodyshop yourself, or live with it.

If it were me, I would be going with option number 1.

I didn't notice on any of the three I've seen so far.

You've three courses of action as far as I can see. Either keep pestering your dealer until they sort it stating it's not acceptable etc., get it sorted out at a bodyshop yourself, or live with it.

If it were me, I would be going with option number 1.

You don't notice this when you are overwhelmed with the rest of the car! But how many of the cars you have seen have had the wheels cleaned to reveal the issue....? I did not notice on mine until I cleaned the wheels properly.

I have been happy with the dealer, Honda UK know of the issue and I am not the first to spot the issue either - I will keep on going with it but its taken a fair amount of time already that I don't have to spare! at the moment.

People that have the car on order need to know this and not end up with same shoddy wheel finish.

Talking about wheels ,does anyone know if the space saver from the last ctr model will fit on the new fk2?

No, it's a different PCD. The old one is 5x114.3, the new one is 5x120.

I will be giving the dealer 2 weeks to resolve this issue. Word from Honda UK is thats the way it is and they wont be doing anything so far, so on advise my complaint will be to the retailer only from now on.

Shame as it spoils a really nice car.

Noticed mine during the 1st wash, I 1st spotted the matte rough finish inside the rim & assumed it was brake dust & that's when I spotted the bare metal behind the spokes, there's another chap over on the Fk2 site that has the same issue (might be yourself).
I have a brand new one sat in a box & it's the same, I also remember when I had a new set of Cw alloys from Honda they were exactly the same, & apparently It's normal for an Honda alloy. It would also explain why the Cw alloys started to chip & flake around the spokes after a few yrs.
I could kick up a fuss but I've had enough of the dealers give us more £££££ attitude & would rather stay away for a while, the red stripe is really niggling away at me so I'm thinking of a make over anyway

I am not used to poor finish on wheels and so I will soldier on with my complaint for now.....I did pay a deposit by Credit Card so I will put that into dispute, 500 notes will cover my upset. I hope it doesn't come to that as I have no issue with the dealer, However they are the retailer and thats who I need to proceed with.

I bought a new Honda S2000 on a 54 plate, I kept it for three years and didn't do a particularly high mileage, six months before I part exchanged it I had three wheels replaced under warranty due to corrosion.

Checked mine today, same issue, not sure how to tackle the situation myself

I had mine delivered 2 days ago. So I imagine this is happening throughout?
I've got 2 images below, one showing before wiped clean, second after.

b9Sm5KI.jpg

LmwHpGt.jpg

Checked mine today after a wash and yes I have the exact same issue on all 4 wheels. Strange how they are not painted properly behind the spokes. Poor really for a 30k+ car

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Checked mine today after a wash and yes I have the exact same issue on all 4 wheels. Strange how they are not painted properly behind the spokes. Poor really for a 30k+ car

Well I have been feeling a bit on my own in this quest to be honest. After comparing them to my dealers other two cars waiting to be picked up mine are much worse..But looking at these pictures you guys have posted, yours are similar to mine.

I have been told the wheels are MAGNESIUM ALLOY and as sutch should not be powder coated as the baking process may weaken the structure.

I am hoping for the best. I would like to add my dealer has been very helpfull and supportive in this, in fact second to none!

Good to know your dealer has been supportive in the issue though. Was yours same as mine- Warrington?

Good to know your dealer has been supportive in the issue though. Was yours same as mine- Warrington?

Yes dave, I saw and compared my car to yours when it was in the showroom along with another red one. Mine are worse than yours, however the pic above is very similar to mine! Not all the spoke ends are at the bottom though when you look at the car - when I took my wheels off it was startling just how unfinished my alloys are.

I have been told by Honda UK that the wheels are magnesium alloy and as sutch should not be refurbished by anyone as they may weeken or damage the structure of the wheel itself.

Now I am no expert on Mag Alloy, but I am not sure I like the idea of a road car with Magnesium Alloy wheels, they are prone to cracking and the lifespan is very poor.

Yes dave, I saw and compared my car to yours when it was in the showroom along with another red one. Mine are worse than yours, however the pic above is very similar to mine! Not all the spoke ends are at the bottom though when you look at the car - when I took my wheels off it was startling just how unfinished my alloys are.

I have been told by Honda UK that the wheels are magnesium alloy and as sutch should not be refurbished by anyone as they may weeken or damage the structure of the wheel itself.

Now I am no expert on Mag Alloy, but I am not sure I like the idea of a road car with Magnesium Alloy wheels, they are prone to cracking and the lifespan is very poor.
Thanks for the info. I have kerbed one alloy already! It's not that bad just needs a slight touch up but sounds like it will be difficult to refurb if it was damaged. Not good for a road car wheel really.
I have contacted honda about mirror link which does not work on the car so I will ask about this too when they reply.

Checked mine today, same issue, not sure how to tackle the situation myself

I had mine delivered 2 days ago. So I imagine this is happening throughout?
I've got 2 images below, one showing before wiped clean, second after.

b9Sm5KI.jpg

LmwHpGt.jpg

I Had a look at a new one a day or two ago at another dealer and the wheels were perfect, I think Honda have realised the poor finish and rectified it on new cars and so the ones already delivered are just that, delivered.....as is. I will be keeping an eye on it and IF they have rectified it then its small claims court for me and it will be the dealer principal I have to go after. Very sad but it my only recourse if nothing is done! I am having a chat with insurance Monday as I will be replacing my wheels with some TD PRO RACE in gloss black and keep the OE for winter tyres...Just need to tell insurance and make sure they are ok with it...

Its not over yet

Back