• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Odd noise when Pulling off or at biting point?

Hi! I was out in my Ep3 today at noticed this odd sound when either pulling off or holding my biting point? I've read a lot of the posts about similar noise's but found no answers on this fault!!!

Can someone please shed some light on this matter for me?

Its like FFFFFeeerrrtttt? Can't really describe it? happens for sec as pull off from a stand still?

I get the same noise think. I get a noise like a low pitched version of somebody pulling a chair across a shiny floor. Only for a second when at biting point, sometimes quite loud though, happens maybe once a week. A few years ago I was told I need a new clutch by Honda (due to high biting point) which would cost £700 so I am still saving but gradually over the past few years the noise has got gradually more frequent so I am pretty sure it something in the clutch but I can't be any more detailed than that. Another thing to mention is that mine is an after market clutch.

I get the same noise think. I get a noise like a low pitched version of somebody pulling a chair across a shiny floor. Only for a second when at biting point, sometimes quite loud though, happens maybe once a week. A few years ago I was told I need a new clutch by Honda (due to high biting point) which would cost £700 so I am still saving but gradually over the past few years the noise has got gradually more frequent so I am pretty sure it something in the clutch but I can't be any more detailed than that. Another thing to mention is that mine is an after market clutch.

£700 to get your clutch done! Please dont pay that. Anywhere else will charge you £350.
And it is most likely the release bearing. Dont worry they go on for ages. Just noisy buggers.

It's just the release bearing. Mine has started doing the same since my last track day but only when it's cold. Clutch still isn't slipping and bite has barely moved so I'll drive it until it goes. Also an Exedy replacement clutch is only about £200 + 3 - 4 hours labour so avoid Honda for a clutch replacement.

It's the same amount of labour so personally I would. Most people do tbh. However clutch parts are consumables and not always covered under warranties.

Knx-Wv2, not sure if it is the same as it's difficult to judge without hearing, but the description sounds like a noise that my wife's ep3 has done from new. Still does it now at close to 140,000 miles and 1 new clutch. Still drives perfectly though. They do make some strange noises, with the various heat shields etc.
Does the clutch seem fine when used. For what it's worth, I had my clutch replaced for £430 by honda, it's always worth asking them to price match.

It is the clutch release bearing. Mine was noisy on cold starts - usually in the morning - for the past six years. Never affected gear changes and the car was happy as it was.

A Honda OEM clutch (three piece kit) can be had for £150 and fitted for the same again at a local indy garage.

Back