• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Oil consumption

Hi there,

I Know this question comes up a lot but I cant find a definitive answer and... I need this answered by someone for piece of mind. Right so basically my car was serviced 5 weeks ago now and on Sunday on the way to crail I thought hmmm maybe I should check my oil and it was quite dam low, and close to the min. luckily I was only a mile away from shell so I topped it up with another 2 litres and it was fine. my question is, is it possible to go through that much oil in 5 weeks (2400 miles) without there being an issue? Im used to cars going through a lot of oil because I had a celica before this but I just want to make sure this is ok? cheers guys I know this kind of thing comes up a lot.

Mine roughly uses half a litre a month sometimes 2 month thats on about 1200 miles with a mixture of blasting vtec onto motorway and plodding to work depending on how i drive this hardly used much if i dont hit vtec at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to add i once used half a litre in one weekend red lining through 2 tanks of fuel

Sounds possible then iv only had the car for like 5?weeks, so as you can imagine...big vtecs haha. Also what's the best oil to use 0w or 5w?

More than likely use a lot then haha. Well at the moment im using 0w but changing to 5w next months service because its half the price honda use total i think so ill put that in because a guy at work has same car and honda put 5w total in and it just burns the same as mine so cant see much difference 0w ment to be best for winter cold starts but mines still jumpy in the morning on 0w

The book says 1l to 1000miles. So your fine. You need to check you oil weekly with a type r.

I had to put 2 liters in on just a single track day to keep the levels up. But I don't think it uses too much if I'm behaving :)

Some engines will naturally burn more than others though.

I may be wrong but im pretty sure its 1ltr between dots, so if you were close to the min & put 2ltrs in there's a good chance you've overfilled.
Cold checks are more accurate, but between min & max on a warm engine is what Honda say

Drain a litre out. You'll put excess stress and pressure on oil seals etc. Just loosen sump bolt and let it drain. As said, it's 1 litre between min & max.

I've had a main dealer overfill mine by a whole ltr, I dipped it at the petrol station & thought that's not right, next morning did a cold dip & it was way past the max, local garage syphoned it free of charge with an oil pump through the filler cap.
The Honda dipsticks are a mare to read, I aim for max on a cold dip as it's easier to read, the new type R is even worse to read, **** thin oil & 2 tiny holes on an orange strip, it's near impossible

it's such a rookie error iv done, I don't think I'll get it back till Friday because the roof is getting sprayed so ** do it then.

Back