• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

oil leak - drivers side

got a pretty bad leak of engine oil on a 2004 type r uk spec. leak seems to be around oil filter area on rear, on cv boot and lower subframe. garage replaced oil filter saying that it was corroded - but leak still there :(

do's anyone know where i can get an engine diagram ? or are there any sensors on that area that would leak oil if damaged ??

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Mohammed

ps lose an average of 50ml of oil per 10 miles journey

i would try 'honda original parts', just type in your reg and should have some engine diagrams. Im not a mechanic so can't help your problem but does your sump look normal?? not dented or split??

Get your car up onto some ramps.

When the oil is changed, a lot is spilt over the sub-frame and chassis under the filter. It is an awkward place to clean. Give it a good blast with brake/oil cleaner and mop up all the residue with plenty of tissue.

Whilst you are under there, check the sump for cracks and the oil release sump bolt for tightness. There are no sensors in that area afaik.

cleaned the area with degreaser - area again became oiled up in one journey. so after 2 x 5 litre's of castrol oil wasted over the diagnosis time guys fault was a corodded oil filter !!! couldn't work it out till car was put up on a ramp !! and oil could be seen spurting out. so thanks for your help.

regards
Mohammed

02' CTR owner

I had this problem for the last 9 months after I had the timing chain changed at 85K. The kit that Honda supplied didn't include the timing COVER seal, but did include an internal seal.

The area behind the timing cover is full of oil when the engine is running this oil will find a way through the timing cover seal if it is perished/damaged.

My leak seemed to be spinning off the sepintine belt near the lowest pulley. It sprayed oil on the ABS block, water bottle, alt, exhaust, under the bonnet lid, top engine mount, drive shaft, ARB links and chassis down the one side, the smell was strong when parked at lights. It left lovely oil rainbows in carparks everytime it rained and I needed to top up 1-2Lit of oil every 2 weeks. I tried a bottle of seal renewer which you chuck in with the oil to reguvenate the seal - and our survey says - eghh eghhh!

Took it to a garage-

The seal took 3 days to come as the idiots who were supplying the part sent the wrong bit - twice. ANyway!

The seal is directly behind the lowest pulley (visable from behind a cover on the driver wheel). The pulley's nut is a BAR-STEWARD to come off - So leave it to a garage. The seal costs £8 and with Lab + VAT I was charged £47.25 - It takes about an hour to do. Now Im a very happy CTR owner

I've shown you a picture of an engine with the pulley off, so the seal can be recongised.

Crank seal.jpg

Once it has been changed i'd advise you to visit eBay and get new interior Air filters as the ones you have now will have oil smell in them - a £10 inc P&P from zsjladyshop (seller name)

Hope this helps

Tikiteyboo ;-)

Back