• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Oil Question

Chris.

Founder
Administrator
Perhaps I should just give Simon (Oilman) a ring but I wanted some opinions first.

I asked my local (German) Honda dealer about booking in for the first service - anyway I wanted a quote with me supplying my own oil to which they replied that make sure it's not fully synth.

They had a bulletin apparantly from Honda a few months ago stating that in all high power high revving petrol engines (eg K20A, F20, B18 etc) fully synth is far too thin and does not go well with high revs.

Further to this they said that they WILL NOT fill my car with fully synth, and if they found out I put some in then they will void my warranty?

Has something happened to a VTEC engine with fully synth in it some time ago?

Just spoke to Guy at Opie Oils and he's heard nothing of the sort.

Going to get some more info from my dealer and send it to him so he can look into it.

Anyone else had this?

The interesting thing is that the vicosity (spelling) of an oil dictates the thikness, well it means thinkness :lol:

Fully synth is simply more fluid like.

SpaceMonkey said:
Will be interested to hear the outcome of this Chris :wink:

same here but when i take my CTR in i just let them supply the oil and to be honest mine dont use a lot anyway but i do have it changed every 4000miles..... :wink:

I gave mine my own oil that I got off oilman, the Silkolene 5w40 and they put it in no problems

Carl

N77 said:
I gave mine my own oil that I got off oilman, the Silkolene 5w40 and they put it in no problems

Carl

same here although i didnt pay the stealers do change mine :wink:

fully synth here since the 24k service :twisted:

fully since in mine since 4000 miles - if it is within the specs contained in the owners manual then all is well :wink:

milano_chris said:
They had a bulletin apparantly from Honda a few months ago stating that in all high power high revving petrol engines (eg K20A, F20, B18 etc) fully synth is far too thin and does not go well with high revs.

What utter tommyrot! What do they think is put in F1 engines then for fúcksakes??? :lol:

It's just plain bo**ocks.

Fully synthetic is better in all respects - FACT!

Cheers
Simon

Just spoke to them again today as my service is booked on Friday and it seems they were a tad misunderstood. The bulletin related to 0W 30 oils being used and owners over here not checking their oil. Fully syth is allowed and they are sticking in some 5W40 Castrol for me 8)

Back