• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Oil questions and recommendations here

Hi oilman

I am a new CTR owner and forum member, so still finding my feet a little. Hugely impressed so far with the knowledge on offer.
To clarify for me -
I have a 52plate CTR on 100k
I have been planning to give it a service as I generally do when I take ownership of any new vehicle.
It is my only car and daily driver all year round, averaging around 8-10k, I also plan to do a few (3-6) trackdays in 2013.

Recommended engine oil & quantity?
Recommended gearbox oil & quantity?

I have had a quick browse on your website, and noticed a discount if bulk bought etc.
I have a mate with a

VW Bora 115bhp PD on a 2000 plate.
Oil for his car please?

Do I still need to apply the TYPERO code on checkout etc?
And any future deals worth waiting for in the near future?

Thanks in advance
High 4

As far as oil goes any synthetic 5w40 is perfect. Lowering your intervals between changes is the best thing you can do for your engine. Personally I change my oil before winter around Sept & again around March regardless of mileage.

If you throw trackdays in the mix then I would consider dropping after every couple of trackdays.

Regarding gearbox oil as far as I am aware best to use what Honda use.

Regarding the VAG Stoo works for then & can probably advise but as far as I am aware just get any oil that meets the spec, 505.01 iirc. Probably a 5w30.

Hi oilman

I am a new CTR owner and forum member, so still finding my feet a little. Hugely impressed so far with the knowledge on offer.
To clarify for me -
I have a 52plate CTR on 100k
I have been planning to give it a service as I generally do when I take ownership of any new vehicle.
It is my only car and daily driver all year round, averaging around 8-10k, I also plan to do a few (3-6) trackdays in 2013.

Recommended engine oil & quantity?
Recommended gearbox oil & quantity?

I have had a quick browse on your website, and noticed a discount if bulk bought etc.
I have a mate with a

VW Bora 115bhp PD on a 2000 plate.
Oil for his car please?

Do I still need to apply the TYPERO code on checkout etc?
And any future deals worth waiting for in the near future?

Thanks in advance
High 4

Hi

Walkden is right, a 5w-40 is best for the CTR. 5L will be enough for a service although as they can drink a drop of oil, it might be best to get a little extra for top ups.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XFS, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

You need an MTF for the gearbox and I would go with the Redline MTL, Amsoil MTF or Fuchs Sintofluid.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-670-75w-80-75w-85-mtfs.aspx

It takes 1.5L.

The Bora needs a VW505.01 spec oil, using another oil can lead to increased cam wear.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-751-vw-50501-oil.aspx

I'd probably go for the Gulf ULE at the moment as it's a bargain for what it is.

The deals that are running now aren't likely to change until the new year (no guarantee on that) but there are some bargains at the moment (Fuchs Pro S is about £15 off the normal price, others like the Supersyn are reduced as well).

Yes, put in the CIVICTRO code for 10% off.

Cheers

Tim

Hi,

Until midnight Sunday we have a 20% SALE on our website with voucher code SALE20

If you need any oil advice then we are here to help! You can contact us here, alternatively give us a call on 01209 202944 Monday - Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm or send us an email to [email protected]

Cheers

Oilman

Feel free to contact us here for any oil recommendations or any oil related questions you may have.

Alternatively complete our oil recommendation form and we will get back to you asap. You can also give us a call on 01209 202949 Monday - Friday 8.30am - 5.30pm or just drop us an email to [email protected]

Cheers

oilman

Hi Folks,

Need help with engine oil, spark plugs, gear oil, filters. It doesn’t matter if it has been modified, or even a classic car, the team at Opie Oils will help you find what you are looking for. Don't forget to;

Enter our latest Competition

If you need any oil advice then we are here to help! You can contact us here, alternatively give us a call on 01209 202944 Monday - Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm or send us an email to [email protected]

Cheers
Oilman

Hello mr Oilman!:)

In my country appeared false oil from Castrol,Motul...

I'm interested by what can be recognized whether the oil is original or not?

All you can really do is buy from an authorised seller and if you are unsure about the oil that you bought, contact the manufacturer with the batch number on the can.

Cheers

Tim

It's a bit thin so you'll probably find you need to top it up more often.

XE isn't described as fully synthetic either and ideally you want a fully synthetic oil.

I wasn't aware it wasn't fully synthetic. He said it was lol. It's a 20l drum bought and never used. Wants £50.should I avoid it then you reckon loxy?

It's up to you. The web site describes it as synthetic, FE and G it says is Fully Synthetic, so you think they'd have said if it was.

Honda are known to put in 0W-30 but that's way too thin IMHO.

For that price it's tempting, but personally I'd stick to a 5W-40 fully synth.

It's a fairly basic option and it's likely to burn a drop, but it's a bargain at that price. It's a group III, mineral based synthetic, so fine for road use and a decent oil.

Cheers

Tim

If you are struggling to find the right engine oil for your car, don't forget about our free oil advice.

All we need to know is

Make:
Model:
Year:
Engine type:
Performance modifications:
Driving style: (road / off-road / track etc)
Any other information that may be relevant: e.g. approx BHP if modified, oil temps if known

If you need help you can call us Monday - Friday 8:30am to 5:30pm on 01209 202944, email us at [email protected], or use our Recommendation form, or just ask here.

If you’re in need of oil advice and recommendations then please just ask, we are happy to help. You can ask us here or by PM, drop us an email to [email protected] or just give us a call this afternoon, we are here till 5.30pm.

It's a great time to buy from Opie Oils, until midnight Sunday we are giving an additional 15% Off our already discounted prices on all engine oils with voucher code 15OFF.

Cheers
- oilman

Which oil is recommended for UK version 05 plate ep3? only cat back exhaust on it (mod wise) but will gradually be modifying the car, car has done 45k

Hi

A 5w-40 is ideal

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT, Motul 300V, Red Line and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XF Longlife, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Gulf Formula G/ULE, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

Hello

I appreciate there has been a lot written on engine oil and the overwhelming response seems to be: 5W40

I have always had this when serviced by TGM but today I picked my 2005 cvic type R up from the local Honda dealer after a service......and they have used 5W30.

Any they say this is the recommended oil.

So,

Q - Why is this? Why are Honda using something that isn't the owner's consensus?
Q - Will it be a problem for my engine?

Ta,
Jackson

Back