• To protect forum members, MFA/2FA will be enforced on 1st Dec 2023. Accounts without MFA/2FA after this date must set it up to be able to log in. Please enable it within your user control panel.

Phil’s ep3 resto

Messages
7
So after owning a supercharger premier edition around 12 years ago and a DC5 after that I’ve decided to get another ep3 as a project. The car is a 2004 with 140,000 miles on the clock. Not too much history with the car but the plan is to either replace or clean up everything on the car so that didn’t bother me to much.

So this is how the car looked like after picking it up
1000008275.jpeg
1000008276.jpeg
As you can see the car came with a mugen replica wing, a silly load exhaust, tints all round and has been lowered on what I think are apex springs.
The first job is to strip the underneath and suspension, under seal and have the suspension all powder coated with new bushes.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mka
As I forgot to mention in the first post I bought the car 6 months ago now so I’ve already started stripping down the underside.
Luckily both arches are solid.
IMG_1534.jpeg
IMG_1538.jpeg
Fuel tank removed
IMG_1649.jpeg
Unfortunately the drivers side cill has two rust holes where the side skirt brackets fix
IMG_1651.jpeg
IMG_1653.jpeg

I haven’t got round to checking the passenger side yet but I’m just going to presume it’s going to be the same! Going to just replace the whole cill rather than patch up the two areas. Reason for this is I’d rather know it’s all solid than potential have the problem all over again in a year or so.
Hopefully I’ll have the rear suspension arms back from powders this week so need to decide what bushes I’m going for.
 
So I managed to get half a day off work and spend the afternoon on the car. Spent most the day cutting both cills out, I’ve decided to do just for peace of mind even tho there were only 3 small rust holes. Also managed to get most of the rear end sanded and treated with hammerite kurst.
As the car stands..
IMG_1684.jpeg
Cills cut out..
IMG_1681.jpegIMG_1682.jpeg
As you may of spotted the passenger side is going to need outer and inner cills replacing.
 
So it’s been a while since I last posted anything on here. In that time I’ve managed to rebuild the callipers with all new seals, suspension parts have all been powder coated, new poly bushes started to be fitted, weld in the new cills, all cavities treated with bilt hamber S50, primer, stone chip, and paint the underside of the car. I haven’t taken to many photos as I get carried away working and forget to take them but here’s a couple of where I am with the car to date.
Callipers painted

Red Font Rectangle Carmine Auto part



Suspension powder coated and poly bushes started to be fitted

Silver Household hardware Font Nickel Symbol



Human body Grass Font Religious item Jewellery



Underside in stone chip.

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle



Composite material Automotive tire Engineering Vehicle Concrete



Automotive tire Motor vehicle Slope Landscape Geological phenomenon



And finally the underside and arches painted satin silver

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car Vehicle



Automotive tire Hood Tread Motor vehicle Tire



Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Wheel



Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Helmet Automotive design



Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper



Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design


Cavities being treated with S50

Wood Drilling Gas Machine tool Engineering



Hood Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle



Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting


There is a couple of areas that I’d like to go over again but overall I’m happy with the result. Hopefully I can get all the poly bushes fitted in the next week or so and start fitting everything back together before starting on the engine bay. If anyone knows the best way of removing brake lines that are seized and the nut rounded the help would be great.
 
Wonderful work mate.

Those sub-frame and suspension arms came up great.

I've considered maybe having a go at doing mine (EP3 lower arms) but I'm fare less as applicable and tool'd up (press) as your good self.

Great thread will enjoy following this.
 
Got home from work and decide to loosely put one side together as I couldn’t wait to see what it looked like;
IMG_1900.jpeg
IMG_1901.jpeg
IMG_1902.jpeg
Really happy with how it’s starting to look. I will eventually get round to replacing all the bolts and cleaning the lca plastic covers.
Hopefully I’ll have the car rolling this weekend and then I can start on the engine bay.
 
looks great. will be following future updates, because i always wanted to something like this to mine.
 
Back
Top