• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Picking my new type R up next week, have a couple of questions...

Hello guys, I'm a new first time type R owner. I currently drive a GT86 and have owned it for over a year, it's an absolute nightmare to live with! I need something fast, reliable, practical and most of all, future proof, being a relatively young person the factor of "future proof" was very important. Being a massive Japanese car fanboy the only option for me was the new Civic Type R. The Golf R meh, Focus RS too expensive, Megane RS... No thanks, and then the general run of the mill Evo, Skyline etc. are ridiculously expensive to insure and run on a daily driver basis. After test driving one and pondering for a couple of days I decided to go ahead with the great finance deal I was offered through my local Honda dealer. I opted for the basic non GT model (not interested in gadgets) and the sporty blue colour!

I managed to get a brilliant insurance quote from direct line of £670, comprehensive with NCD protection too which I thought was really good considering I'm 24 and still classed as a "young driver"! Any young driver contemplating a new type R, try these for insurance!

Anyway, onto the questions... I've driven "quick" cars before so have experience in quick cars, however nothing THIS quick! And never anything with a turbo. I understand turbos require time for the oil to warm up before thrashing them, letting them cool down before turning off the ignition, however is this required for a modern day factory turbo? Also, what kind of temperature readings would be right before thrashing the engine? What is the correct amount of boost pressure to be shown on the boost gauge? I've never had a car with such fancy gadgetry and digital readings as this so want to make sure I'm interpreting the readouts correctly!

sorry if the questions sound daft, but we all have to start somewhere I guess...

cheers!

I believe that the FK2 has an oil temp gauge, let it get to 50 minimum before winding up the turbo, 60 for a thrashing. If it gets over 120, back off. In my Evo I usually give it around a mile of normal driving after thrashing to let the oil cool down and not leave oil in the red hot turbo. You'll be fine as long as you don't give it stick, slam on the ankers and then turn off the engine.

You'll love it. I went for the non GT also, of all the extra GT stuff I only valued the satnav which made it a very expensive satnav.
One laughable thing you will find is that the non GT does not come with a parcel shelf! Yep, dealer checked the specs and it's only standard with the GT. They were as surprised as me, and took the one out of their showroom Civic and put it in mine.
I chose blue too, gorgeous colour.

Cheers for that response Dooksy I'll take note of what you said. And F2Mark, one of the few things I like about the GT86 is how bare bones race car it is, therefore all the extra gadgets in the GT model just didn't interest me... But no parcel shelf? That's ridiculous ha I hope my dealer sorts me out with one too!

Anyway, onto the questions... I've driven "quick" cars before so have experience in quick cars, however, nothing THIS quick! And never anything with a turbo. I understand turbos require time for the oil to warm up before thrashing them, letting them cool down before turning off the ignition, however, is this required for a modern day factory turbo? Also, what kind of temperature readings would be right before thrashing the engine? What is the correct amount of boost pressure to be shown on the boost gauge? I've never had a car with such fancy gadgetry and digital readings as this so want to make sure I'm interpreting the readouts correctly!

sorry if the questions sound daft, but we all have to start somewhere I guess...

cheers!

Take your time. Get to know the car.
Give the car a few miles before thrashing it.
I always look at the water temperature before giving it some, say over 75 degrees Celcius.
After thrashing it I never turn it off straight away. I've not had it on track, however, as I live in a city the car has always cooled down by the time I get parked.

Have mechanical sympathy for your car and it'll last for years.

Enjoy :twisted:

Take your time. Get to know the car.
Give the car a few miles before thrashing it.
I always look at the water temperature before giving it some, say over 75 degrees Celcius.
After thrashing it I never turn it off straight away. I've not had it on track, however, as I live in a city the car has always cooled down by the time I get parked.

Have mechanical sympathy for your car and it'll last for years.

Enjoy :twisted:

Yeah I'm already aware of taking time to learn the car. I was planning to have a couple 100 miles keeping it under 3000 revs but I've read elsewhere these engines are stress tested well and don't need this treatment, I'll see what they say at Honda when I pick it up.

So oil temps around 50 and water temps around 75, is there any other temperature gauges in the car?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep you can change the gauges so you can see water and oil temp and boost and oil pressure

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I don't at 60, my normal running temps are both around the 78-84 mark, I usually open up with oil anywhere above 70, which doesn't take long in these cars

They are super quick, I work with a guy who owned a 08 Audi S6 5.2 V10, he has driven mine and says its insane! Faster than his S6, when he said that I knew I bought the right car! You will love it, get used to the power delivery before giving it some, keep those wheels circular! enjoy

60 to trash? Ain't 80 the recommended temp before you trash it? 60 seems very cold.

I don't know what oil cooling the FK2 has, but the oil in an Evo with standard oil cooler will sit between 50 and 60 in normal conditions.

Mine runs anything from 80 normally to 89 if stuck in traffic. 122 at Croft a few weeks ago.

I'm not sure on the oil cooler, but I found the gearbox oil cooler when I was having my OEM cat put back on. :lol:

In the winter my old Evo was around 50-60 in normal running conditions, summer around 60-70 and stop start it would go above 70, sometimes into the 80's. Only when thrashing would it get above 90. I was always told to start giving it more throttle when it's over 40 degrees and start using full boost over 50.

So it seems anywhere between 75-85 is normal, cheers for the info guys. Out of curiosity, what are you guys paying for insurance? I'm wondering if £670 is a good price for a 24 year old, my 86 only cost £400 to insure this year.

I don't know what oil cooling the FK2 has, but the oil in an Evo with standard oil cooler will sit between 50 and 60 in normal conditions.

Normal conditions for the FK2 are between 80/90, that's where it sits during normal driving. It can easily hit 100/110 ones you go on the throttle, even higher when you give it the beans really good.

So I picked it up this morning, not sure how to upload pictures on here? Anyway car is absolutely insanely quick, never experienced anything like it. Torque steer is almost non existent unless really pushed hard, but for general pulls there's hardly any torque steer to manage. Managed to impress my misses step dad who has a Mitsubishi twin turbo 3000GT so that's an accomplishment in itself... Only negatives I can find so far is no parcel shelf, I'll be ringing Honda about this tomorrow, and the door mirrors don't fold in electrically, guess I'll have to get back into the habit of doing it manually!

Another quick question, I notice the car has start/ stop, surely this can't be good for the turbo? Do you guys turn this off?

I've never thought about it but thinking about it i suppose i might. when it comes down to it its a honda engine so i highly doubt it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back