• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Picking my new type R up next week, have a couple of questions...

So I picked it up this morning, not sure how to upload pictures on here? Anyway car is absolutely insanely quick, never experienced anything like it. Torque steer is almost non existent unless really pushed hard, but for general pulls there's hardly any torque steer to manage. Managed to impress my misses step dad who has a Mitsubishi twin turbo 3000GT so that's an accomplishment in itself... Only negatives I can find so far is no parcel shelf, I'll be ringing Honda about this tomorrow, and the door mirrors don't fold in electrically, guess I'll have to get back into the habit of doing it manually!

Another quick question, I notice the car has start/ stop, surely this can't be good for the turbo? Do you guys turn this off?

Press the button on the door twice in a row when you lock it, mirrors will fold in.

Start/stop is no problem, in start/stop mode the oil/cooling keeps circulating compared to a full shutdown so it's not bad for the turbo. Though I'm always turning it off when I get in the car. :)

Well my thought process is Honda engineers know what they're doing so if they thought it'd not be good for the turbo then surely they'd of left start stop out, but still logically it sounds like a bad idea, but then again we have to assume modem turbos are pretty bullet proof, I guess only time will tell

Press the button on the door twice in a row when you lock it, mirrors will fold in.

Start/stop is no problem, in start/stop mode the oil/cooling keeps circulating compared to a full shutdown so it's not bad for the turbo. Though I'm always turning it off when I get in the car. :)

thanks for your help dude, I'll give it a try! As for the start stop, I might see what Honda say when I ring them up tomorrow.

I take it you have a non Gt as they don't come with parcel shelfs

Yeah non GT, wasn't interested in the gizmos, i dont even see it as an option on their website which I find bizarre, I suppose the privacy glass functions well but still id like a parcel shelf haha

Not sure what I'm doing wrong in regards to the mirrors, but I'm pressing the black rubber button twice and then holding it on the second push but nothing's happening? Just the car sounds like it's locking again?

Pretty sure non-GT mirrors fold.

Definitely two presses of the door button does it. Have you tried the two presses on the remote and hold on the second press?

The mirrors don't auto fold on my non GT. It's not a feature on the STD car. On the plus side less weight without the power fold option :lol:

Not sure what I'm doing wrong in regards to the mirrors, but I'm pressing the black rubber button twice and then holding it on the second push but nothing's happening? Just the car sounds like it's locking again?

You should not hold it! Only 2 quick presses.

If they don't fold, then it's an option on the GT I quess.

Yeah I've tried everything, definitely doesn't work on the non GT, ah well never mind! Driving in R mode is sweeeeet, waste gate seems louder and spews out more, shame about the harsh ride, though I'm used to harsh rides after a year driving the GT86

Torque steer is almost non existent unless really pushed hard, but for general pulls there's hardly any torque steer to manage.

Double kingpin arrangement on the front suspension design reduces torque steer in the FK2 by 55%.
The engineers seem to have got this spot on.

Having owned an EP3 and an FN2, the FK2 is a totally different animal in terms of performance, if not quite the same in terms of the evocative soundtrack you get with the NA engines.

With the other two I think you always sit there thinking, " I could just handle a bit more power "
But the FK2 you just sit with a smile on your face thinking " that will do..." :cool:

Double kingpin arrangement on the front suspension design reduces torque steer in the FK2 by 55%.
The engineers seem to have got this spot on.

Having owned an EP3 and an FN2, the FK2 is a totally different animal in terms of performance, if not quite the same in terms of the evocative soundtrack you get with the NA engines.

With the other two I think you always sit there thinking, " I could just handle a bit more power "
But the FK2 you just sit with a smile on your face thinking " that will do..." :cool:

Quite a lot of people have mentioned the soundtrack of the car to be abit dull, but I personally love how it sounds! The exhaust isn't too loud for a daily driver and well the waste gate chatter is just awesome, then again this is my first turbo car and I've never experienced VTEC so...

Quite a lot of people have mentioned the soundtrack of the car to be abit dull, but I personally love how it sounds! The exhaust isn't too loud for a daily driver and well the waste gate chatter is just awesome, then again this is my first turbo car and I've never experienced VTEC so...

Absolutely mate, I think the whole experience is a nice rounded affair.
Wastegate chatter FTW when accelerating hard and backing off throttle fast.

In fairness if you went from an FK2 to a NA Type R you'd probably be very disappointed.

Driving normally the car is an easy daily driver IMO

Absolutely mate, I think the whole experience is a nice rounded affair.
Wastegate chatter FTW when accelerating hard and backing off throttle fast.

In fairness if you went from an FK2 to a NA Type R you'd probably be very disappointed.

Driving normally the car is an easy daily driver IMO

I agree as a daily it's brilliant, driving around at 30mph feels so refined, and then when the need arises you have the 306 ponies to have fun with! Compared to the daily ride of my 86 this type R feels like a Bentley!

I agree as a daily it's brilliant, driving around at 30mph feels so refined, and then when the need arises you have the 306 ponies to have fun with! Compared to the daily ride of my 86 this type R feels like a Bentley!

:lol:
I know what you mean mate, I used to work at Toyota and got to drive the GT86 regularly, and the performance never got near to my EP3/FN2

Just a pity the 200 horses in the GT86 couldnt strip another second off the 0-60 time like the Civic does.

:lol:
I know what you mean mate, I used to work at Toyota and got to drive the GT86 regularly, and the performance never got near to my EP3/FN2

Just a pity the 200 horses in the GT86 couldnt strip another second off the 0-60 time like the Civic does.

put it this way, the 86 brand new is £27,000, for £3,000 more you can have a Type R with a turbo and 106 more horse power, it's a no brainer really, the type R is ahead of the 86 in every way

Back