• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Poor performance ep3

Hi guys I've just posted else were but I've just had my ep3 dyno'd and it ran 195bhp with a 2.5" m2 silenced center section and m2 back box and tegiwa intake.

The dyno guy said that vtec didn't sound right and sounded different to the 3 other ep3 there and one ep3 ran 220 with a cheap ebay air filter as well any idea why it's running crap.

195 is good for a standard engine after several years of use. The intake and exhaust changes will not make a significant difference without remapping. Assuming that the other cars had similar modifications without ecu and mapping, then I would suggest that the fault lay with the dyno. You will NEVER get 23bhp with only a intake, particularly an ebay special.

If the dyno was over-reading (i.e. the 220 readings were relative to standard power), then your car has lost roughly 10% power. Check the oil condition and level, that is the most common reason for vtec not engaging. Check the timing chain and tensioner, that is the achille's heel of the K20.

Wouldn't the grade of fuel being used make a difference too. Mine made 215 at TDi North dyno day a couple of years back with in silenced mid section, standard back box and AEM CAI

Using 99 RON over 95 RON would make sod all difference to a standard car IMO. My car ran something like 167bhp atw a few years back and I have a Piper 2.5" cat back, so that's standard power with an aftermarket exhaust. God know how yours managed to get another 15bhp from a CAI.

Sorry I've not responded in a while. I was using tesco hi performance fuel as it Ron 99 were most supreme fuel around were I live is Ron97.

Any how I have done a little reasearch into the company who dynod it and there were a few poor comments about him and I have also spoke to a few guys and 4 people over of 20 people have said he fudged the figures so you get a low reading then re alters the dyno after making buisness from you. So I'm going to get a second dyno from another company and compare the results.

Back