• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Possible throttle pickup issue? Anyone had this?

Occasionally, I have noticed on my EP3 when applying throttle to pull away normally (not flooring it) from a stand still, for example pulling away from the lights, the pickup kind of hesitates and jolts a little as if the car coughs for a split second. Its only very minor but enough for me and my wife to had noticed it. Its very similar to if the car was going to stall but never gets anywhere near to that point.

I have also noticed when driving along that if for example I am in 3rd, letting the revs drop and the revs gets to around 3.5k, there is a subtle jolt or lunge. Its very subtle but enough for me to notice it more than once.

Any ideas what this might be or if anyone else has had this or an obvious fault?

Mine does this only now and again it's very annoying, some people have said to clean the idle control valve, I haven't tried anything yet though. Does yours also give a slight jolt or lunge when changing gear as well? Mine feels kind off hesitant low in the rev range, like between 1.5 and 2.5k revs as well. Be interesting to see what people suggest.

I think so, I bought the car in June only recently (past 3 weeks) experienced this and it's not all the time but I suppose worth checking out.

Mine does this only now and again it's very annoying, some people have said to clean the idle control valve, I haven't tried anything yet though. Does yours also give a slight jolt or lunge when changing gear as well? Mine feels kind off hesitant low in the rev range, like between 1.5 and 2.5k revs as well. Be interesting to see what people suggest.

Hiya, yes it does give a slight jolt or lunge when changing gear and also a little hesitatnt in low revs. Mine also seems to do it now and again rather than very noticeable all the time.

Hiya, yes it does give a slight jolt or lunge when changing gear and also a little hesitatnt in low revs. Mine also seems to do it now and again rather than very noticeable all the time.

Glad mines not the only one then is yours a facelift model, This is my third ctr the other 2 were pre facelift and I didn't have a problem with them.

Come to think of it my throttle cable came off once when owning this car. Slipped off by the throttle body so may need to check it.

Glad mines not the only one then is yours a facelift model, This is my third ctr the other 2 were pre facelift and I didn't have a problem with them.

Come to think of it my throttle cable came off once when owning this car. Slipped off by the throttle body so may need to check it.

Yes mine is a facelift, 2005. Keep me updated please if you get anywhere with this.

Nice my dad had a similar problem on his Golf. It ended up with the throttle body replacement probably not the same issue though.

Took mine to a local garage yesterday to check my brakes and throttle cable, my brakes squeak when braking soft and I get a squeak when not braking and slightly turning the steering wheel, They adjusted the brakes but said they couldn't do more on them, they still squeak :mad: and they wouldn't adjust the throttle he said it's best to do this with a diagnostics at hand. So I'm still none the wiser. I hate squeaks and rattles. Plus point though no charge from the garage :D

Have the same problem with mine. 2004 75,000 miles. Started a couple of months back. There seems to be quite a few experiencing this but nobody seems to find a fix!

So far I've swapped my dirty AEM v1 for a Tegiwa, tightened the throttle cable (Shoonk i wouldn't pay a garage to do this its a piece of pi$$ there's a few guides floating around), changed spark plugs and oil, swapped coilpacks, checked earths.
What I've done so far has improved it slightly, especially after the throttle adjustment but I think its just masking the problem. I've bought a replacement fuel filter and will be fitting tomorrow morning so i'll update how I get on.

Next i'm thinking new battery as it looks like the original, check tps, injectors...

My mate said it could be a dirty sensor and the ecu ******** it's pants for a but causing it to stutter? I've not got a clue so correct me if I'm wrong.

Tidy thanks for the advice I'll have a look at the throttle cable, as for everything else I bought the car in June and recently had a good service done including engine flush, oil change and filter, air filter, plugs, fuel system treatment, engine coolant, gearbox oil, clutch fluid and brakes discs and pads all round, haven't looked at coil packs or injectors, but all seems fine, bought it from a garage full service history, (all but 1 Honda), 2 owners, 54k on the clock but damn is this annoying me. This and the brakes combined gggrrrrrrrrr!!!

OK changed the fuel filter this morning, took about an hour, a bit messy but pretty straightforward. I took some photos so will get a guide together.

Took it for a spin and it feels a lot more responsive but, still hesitating slightly for a split second on about 1 in 4 throttle presses :? it has improved/masked it a lot as before it hesitated for slightly longer around every other throttle application. It is barley noticeable now but still annoying! All happens around 2500k and seems worse when turning :smt102

I checked the mesh strainer which attaches to the pump/pickup and it was spotless. I've cut the old filter open and its made from a cardboard like material which pulled apart like candy floss! You can see and feel the crap that its trapped over the years and the fuel which poured out of it was much darker! So its definitely worth changing but not the cause of my problem.

I've brimmed the tank and put some injector cleaner in, doubt it will make any difference but you never know. I'll update if I ever find a fix!

Cheers L1R3A and please keep us posted. I will let you know how I get on with mine in a few weeks.

Back