• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Possible throttle pickup issue? Anyone had this?

This is a difficult one as people have tried all sorts to cure the problem but no one has came up with a definate solution.

I had this a while back and it was my lambda sensor and I had no EML on, I seemed to only get this problem after I had a catback fitted. Now it's started to get colder again it is slightly noticeable. I didn't use a genuine Honda sensor though so maybe it's on it's way out again.

This is a difficult one as people have tried all sorts to cure the problem but no one has came up with a definate solution.

I had this a while back and it was my lambda sensor and I had no EML on, I seemed to only get this problem after I had a catback fitted. Now it's started to get colder again it is slightly noticeable. I didn't use a genuine Honda sensor though so maybe it's on it's way out again.

Yes I read through some of your comments on the thread. Nightmare. It's only just become apparent and I haven't owned the car long. It's kinda like you push the accelerator a touch and nothing happens for like a nano second then it comes to life. It's not that bad but definitely noticeable. I am guessing it could be the lambda as I noticed the exposed wiring but it was fine for a few weeks after fitting the exhaust back on, so I'm puzzled as to why it's become an issue now.

Also what's this talk of checking the chain as that's the more worrying thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its your lambda sesnor I had the exact same problem a year back.

Don't be so sure I replaced mine based on these experiences with a genuine Honda item and it made no difference at all. Thanks it cost me a small fortune that!

i will be trying a new TPS by K-Tuned in the new year. This is the very last thing I can try....

A fortune? I can't remember mine being that much? I got mine for quite cheap I think and the garage fitted it with my mot

A fortune? I can't remember mine being that much? I got mine for quite cheap I think and the garage fitted it with my mot

£240 iirc and was part only, then I fitted it myself on axle stands. Cheap ones tend to fail prematurely.

What other things are likely to cause this hesitation it's quite annoying!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've done all this and still no fix

Coil packs,
Injectors,
Throttle body,
Valve clearances,
Lambda sensor,
Stock air box with new filter,
Back box,
Earthing kit,
Fuel filter,
Fuel treatment,
95 ron
99 ron
Bled the cooling system,
New sparks,
Oil and filter,
Plugged in to diagnostic,
Throttle cable adjustment

Are you sure it's not a timing belt issue? Do you get the surging on throttle release at lower rpm too? There's nothing worse Han having a problem you can't solve :(

Or possible clutch problem?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Plugged mine into a pals snap on reader today and no codes were present. Not sure what this one this..:scratch:

Plugged mine into a pals snap on reader today and no codes were present. Not sure what this one this..:scratch:

TGM looked at mine and drove it, no issues with chain as mine had 70k on the clock also clutch is fine.

Try a new TPS and let us know how you get on. I've already spent a small fortune.

TGM looked at mine and drove it, no issues with chain as mine had 70k on the clock also clutch is fine.

Try a new TPS and let us know how you get on. I've already spent a small fortune.

Ok thanks. That's the problem, I don't want to blast money into it! It's not that bad and sometimes will be fine, but it just doesn't feel as quick as it should coupled with the slight hesitation. Am going to clean out the inlet the weekend with some isopropyl alcohol and see if that helps. Could also be my O2 sensor. We should buy a few parts each and swap them to see if we can find a fix between us!

Ok thanks. That's the problem, I don't want to blast money into it! It's not that bad and sometimes will be fine, but it just doesn't feel as quick as it should coupled with the slight hesitation. Am going to clean out the inlet the weekend with some isopropyl alcohol and see if that helps. Could also be my O2 sensor. We should buy a few parts each and swap them to see if we can find a fix between us!

Done done and done, I have cleaned my TB made no difference, swapped my TB but unfortunately it had a fauilt and the EML came on so wasn't a fair test. Also purachased a new O2 sensor from Honda made no difference to mine.

Mine is also the same sometimes its fine and drives like a dream, as it gets warm it is almost perfect. Also found when its cold or wet it seems to be the worst. I think its the TPS and as the TB gets warm the signal is improved hence once its fully up to temperature it drives smoothly. Its a bucking broncho when stone cold in the morning...

TPS is on my list to try but i have kinda given up at the mo having spent approx £1000 trying to resolve this matter.

Done done and done, I have cleaned my TB made no difference, swapped my TB but unfortunately it had a fauilt and the EML came on so wasn't a fair test. Also purachased a new O2 sensor from Honda made no difference to mine.

Mine is also the same sometimes its fine and drives like a dream, as it gets warm it is almost perfect. Also found when its cold or wet it seems to be the worst. I think its the TPS and as the TB gets warm the signal is improved hence once its fully up to temperature it drives smoothly. Its a bucking broncho when stone cold in the morning...

TPS is on my list to try but i have kinda given up at the mo having spent approx £1000 trying to resolve this matter.

Bloody hell that's annoying. I literally only noticed mine in the last two weeks. It doesn't accelerate immediately or as hard as it should in say second gear for example, and I also noticed that it seems to be down on torque in gears. Like 6th normally has a decent amount of pull from 30mph upwards, but I am finding I have to change down. I think I'll start with a new O2 sensor and give it a full service and new plugs. Have you tried the coil pack too? And you're sure yours isn't a timing chain problem?

I reckon someone who isn't used to driving a type r wouldn't even notice it, but I know how good the car is when driving 100% so I've noticed the difference and it's frustrating.

Just brainstorming but what about the cat heatshield?

Reason why I say this is because mine was taken off when I had a catback fitted and I only got this problem when I had that fitted.

My thinking is the car is fine when warm or in warm conditions (I had no problems in the summer) but when the weather gets colder and wetter it becomes more noticeable. This seems to be the problem with most peoples cars.

So could it be that if the cat is missing a heatshield it is not getting the protection from the elements and is not getting upto temp tidy? As once it's warm it runs tidy. So mine hasn't got the heatshield in place how about other people? Just to rule that out.

Could this be a maybe or is my thinking utter bollocks?

I'm not sure on that theory. Mine never had a heat shield and it's fitted with standard exhaust and has only just started to act up. Annoying as I love it otherwise! :(

Bloody hell that's annoying. I literally only noticed mine in the last two weeks. It doesn't accelerate immediately or as hard as it should in say second gear for example, and I also noticed that it seems to be down on torque in gears. Like 6th normally has a decent amount of pull from 30mph upwards, but I am finding I have to change down. I think I'll start with a new O2 sensor and give it a full service and new plugs. Have you tried the coil pack too? And you're sure yours isn't a timing chain problem?

I reckon someone who isn't used to driving a type r wouldn't even notice it, but I know how good the car is when driving 100% so I've noticed the difference and it's frustrating.

I have done all what your proposing it made no difference. Don't waste you time go straight to a TPS and let me know how you get on.

By all means give it a service if it's due.

It's not our timing chain, TGM quickly ruled this out.

Just brainstorming but what about the cat heatshield?

Reason why I say this is because mine was taken off when I had a catback fitted and I only got this problem when I had that fitted.

My thinking is the car is fine when warm or in warm conditions (I had no problems in the summer) but when the weather gets colder and wetter it becomes more noticeable. This seems to be the problem with most peoples cars.

So could it be that if the cat is missing a heatshield it is not getting the protection from the elements and is not getting upto temp tidy? As once it's warm it runs tidy. So mine hasn't got the heatshield in place how about other people? Just to rule that out.

Could this be a maybe or is my thinking utter bollocks?

No it's not that, ours has had its heatshield for 2 years and we have only just removed it because it's starter rattling. I get your theory though.

Back