• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Potential FK2 owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

Not posted for a while after selling my EP3 for a daily run around. I am heading to my local Honda dealership on Saturday to look at these 2 cars and will decide which one suits me best.

They are both immaculate GT's and both under 7000 miles.

I cannot decide on which colour as I love them both.

Before I jump back into Type R ownership I have a few questions.

Question 1 - Black or Red

http://s421.photobucket.com/user/TiMtImInYtImTiM/media/CTR_zpsqmmi7w5k.png.html

Question 2 - This is huge amount of money and i'm scared. Are they worth it and will i regret buying one? Anything to look for when buying nearly new? I want to upgrade to the exterior and interior Carbon Packs. Is this easily done or can these only be fitted when ordering from new?

Question 3 - I am going to save a few thousand by getting a nearly new one. Is it worth it or should I go brand new?

I had red, it's a great colour and black is an absolute pain to keep clean. Personal preference and only you can answer that.

I don't regret buying and then selling mine. It's a good car, but for the money there were other cars out there that suited what I needed from a car. I'm not one to sit with a car and make so if it's not doing what I want so I took the hit. I do a 70 mile a day commute, and I've moved to an F30 3 series with the ZF8 gearbox which is much more suited to my needs. Yours may be very different, so go with your gut. Personally I would only bit a used one if it was still on the variable service intervals. Honda designed the system for a reason and who are the dealer to decide to turn it off to suit the notion that they only want to service it once a year. Needless to say, full service history and if possible the 5 year service pack.

Apart from that, check for alloy damage, damage to the splitters, wear on the seat base bolsters and seat wing back bolsters and cracks in the steering wheel leather.

Up to you if you want to buy new. I nearly did, but if you don't mind buying a car that's been run in for you then save £6-8k. :smt023

I'm a bit hmmm with the variable service system, my 1st A service would of reached 0 miles around 15mths old, 15mth before oil service could put buyers off

Oil doesn't go off in 15 months. If the car hasn't done the mileage or been driven hard enough in that mileage to need it, why change it. Much more experienced engineers than you or me designed the system, I for one would be inclined to trust it.

I get that but on paper it could look a bit off putting to buyers that doesn't know/understand the variable service, it's took a few of us a yr to understand it :)

I read a post from one chap telling others to go with the variable service & also if he was buying he wouldn't want one of these cars that's only had an oil change at the 12mth service.
He had 3-4 in the 1st year, I had one & could of gone longer, all that shows to me is one was driven hard & one was driven like an OAP yet he wouldn't touch a 12mth oil changed car :confused:

Sorry OP :)

I'd go black for the stealth look, metallic grey is a nice one as well & would suit the exterior carbon pack, don't think I've seen a grey with the carbon on forums yet

Thanks all. Can someone explain the variable service pack please? I normally service my cars every 12 months as I rarely do 10,000 miles a year.

When would first service normally be on an FK2 so that I can check it has been run in properly?

Also Honda are currently offering a 5 year service plan for £555 which seems like a good deal. What do you all normally spend on a service?

The car tells you when to have it serviced and also tells you which service is due. Some of it is based on how the car has been driven (mainly fuel consumption based if what I've read is to be believed) but also on time for time specific items such as brake fluid.

So if a car has done lots of short but rapid journeys, or gets well used by that I mean driven hard (the cars are built to take it), it will indicate oil changes more often than one that sits at 70 on the motorway for half an hour 5 times a week. That's why some people have needed multiple changes in a year where some are longer. (I'm not saying that's you Dweezle, you're obviously just quite smooth in your driving :lol: )

If the car is telling you to change the oil every 5k because of how you drive it and you are doing 12.5k a year, if you got the variable servicing turned off and put on to fixed interval servicing, then the oil that gets changed at 12.5k or 12 months would be in a right state.

So personally, I would avoid a car on fixed interval servicing.

Just to confuse things, mines been counting down B since July, A hasn't shown it's face yet, until that pops up I'll be happy it hasn't been disabled.
I made the mistake by not checking what it was showing when I collected the car, if I had I would of known if A pops up later down the line

What do you all think about tuning? Can any mods be made without voiding the warranty? I am keen to change the exhaust and panel filter to improve the breathing and noise. But have also seen some huge power and torque gains by remapping from the likes of TDi-North and Severn Valley Motorsport.

My FK2 has just hit 9.5k miles the Service A indicator was advising it's first oil change.
I agree with the previous comments try and not get one which is on a fixed service go with the variable as you will quickly find out which service plan suits you.

I didn't get the 5 year service plan due to some issues at the garage I bought the car from (sales guy wasn't confident in what the service plan covered), so I ditched it however I wish I had taken it now as the services aren't cheap from main dealers.

Things to look out for;

Rattles from the interior particularly in the door panels.
Check if the car has had the latest software update as my head unit was playing up for a few weeks, I took it too Honda and they fixed some bugs which didn't all some of the applications to work correctly.
Check tyre wear for some reason mine have worn badly on the inside you'll be lucky to get 10k miles out of the fronts, I am about to purchase a new set of fronts and they aren't cheap!
Oil levels, depending how the car has been driven then you may need to give it a top up.

I looked at a stage 1 remap taking the car to 350bhp but I backed out as Honda will invalidate your warranty if you've started tinkering with the engine and they find out.
That's the info I was given by one of the sales reps at Honda so I left it alone.

Tuning on these means cracking open the ECU which is instant warranty void but some owners are doing it, I'm probably wrong but most doing this seem to be new coming to Hondas & probably don't realise how anal Honda are with warranties & with this car they're even tighter on warranty work.

There are 2 plug n play devices that are non traceable, you have the Remus throttle response which will give you +R mode throttle but keeps the suspension standard, and you have the seletron chip box, a chap on civinfo has Been running both for mths & is very happy with them, he's seeing around 340-350bhp.
Both are on my to do list if I decide what I'm doing with the car

I agree with Loxy regarding the colour. IMO the best a black one will be is when its new in the showroom so red all the way.

There is a good topic in the FK2 about ownership/pitfalls so that will be worth reading as its unbiased.

I know a few people who are wary about buying one second hand (I am in that category) as it is not possible to know how it has been driven before you get although you can save a chunk of cash.

Best of luck with your choice but I dont think you will be disappointed.

Regards
Dalesman

I was lucky when I bought mine new I paid £500 for a five year service plan.
I am hoping it covers exactly what it should do. Lucky for me I dont do a lot of miles.
The car was purchased from Greenacre Honda at Clitheroe. I have had Honda's of them before and I found their servicing department absolutely spot on.

I bought a demo car and have had no problems. I'm always up for saving money :p. I think questions 2 and 3 you can answer yourself by test driving and having a look at the cars. If you get a bad feeling about the car don't buy it.

I went to test drive one for a joke. Wasn't interested in the slightest. 3 months later the S2000 is gone and I'm in one, it turned me that easily and I'm still enjoying it 9 months down the line.

Question 1: I would steer clear of black but this is completely my opinion having owned a black car previous to this and I didn't like cleaning it.

Ok so potential is now a definite. I placed a deposit on a Milano Red 16 plate with 5,000 miles. It's an ex demo and is absolutely like new. I am in love!

I questioned the service department about the variable servicing. I was advised that Honda service plans only cover a 12 month service. Hence them suggesting the car is on a 12 month service schedule. After raising the CTR variable service and the A/B alarms he went on to say that when the service A or service B light comes on he recommends taking the car in. They run the checks free of charge and if the car does indeed need something then they will recommend it is done there and then. If they deem it unnecessary they will reset the service alarm and I continue on my way. The car will always have a 12 month service on the plan. All interim services will be a cost. I hope this makes sense. It does to me.

I am going Saturday to hopefully collect the car if it is ready. If not it will be Monday. Exciting times :)

Take it to another dealer, they don't understand how variable servicing works, but as long as it is still active you are onto a winner.

It explains it all in the service book.

^
This,

This is why there's so much confusion with Hondas variable servicing, the dealers themselves don't have a clue how it works.
Makes you wonder how many have been switched off without informing owners, I honestly don't know what I'd do if mine was turned off last service as it can't be reversed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back