• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Potential Vtec solenoid problem?

So I recently bought my first Type R (and first vtec for that matter). I test drove a few and always felt the vtec kicking in was very noticeable. In mine however, i often don't notice a significant step in power. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

So i just want to know if there are common issues with these? can the solenoid valve become a bit sticky and stay open or closed? It does seem a bit thirsty so perhaps its sometimes sticking open and giving me permanent vtec?

Any advice appreciated.

Might just need a new vtec solenoid gasket. Also vtec becomes less noticeable the higher you go up the gears. A good test each time is in 2nd gear.

Yea I was trying 2nd gear as a test and rarely noticed a big step. More noticeable in third but like I say, not always. Should I not see the EML come on if there was an issue with the solenoid operation or oil pressure through the valve?

You would have thought it would bring up a eml check light but not in all cases. I’m assuming that you have dipped the oil and it’s on the max full line?

Take the vtec solenoid off (top back on driver side of engine, it has wiring & plug) and replace the mesh filter, it may be partially blocked, it is part of the gasket of the solenoid, also change the oil & filter - a premium oil, fully synthetic & an OEM filter, maybe flush the oil as well. The solenoid filter becomes blocked if the oil & filter isn't change often enough or using cheap crappy oil. :D

I’m having the same issue with mine at the moment. It feels slightly limp in VTEC and there is no noticeable crossover noise. Let me know how you get on with yours.

Still not got round to changing the vtec solenoid gasket. But I'm now pretty certain there is no vtec kicking in. The fact there is no EML light suggests the solenoid is operating right? and if the gasket filter was blocked then wouldn't that be recognised by pressure switch and also light up the EML?

There are some situations in which VTEC won't engage. When the vehicle is stationary (on facelift models), when the engine hasn't reached operating temperature, oil pressure (make sure you have it up to the line on the dipstick), and I think something to do with throttle position, but I may be wrong there.

If it's none of those things then you might have a problem, but the above are easy ones to forget about.

Back