• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Pre Facelift Type R Price Range Help

A5H

Hi guys,

Was wondering if you lot could help me with what i would expect or should be paying for an EP3 pre facelift type r with 50kish miles on the clock.

Cheers
Ash

I bought my 52 plate back in July for £6500 they now seem to be around £5500 for one with full service history and low mileage. Im actually quite disguted at how much the price has dropped on them :lol:

Have a look on Autotrader... My rule of thumb is:

Sell on Pistonheads (overpriced)
Buy on Autotrader (reasonably priced...sometimes)

I was shocked how much pre-facelifts go for still, but I guess they're still a saught after car hence the price. I keep thinking of flogging mine. I don't wnat anything quicker, just a bit more comfort as I'm a boring git.

Now that I have had AC, as I hadnt had it before, it's awesome but if I bought one without then I wouldnt be too fussed.

AC is important for comfort, if you have had a car with it going on to one without will not be pleasant. there are several posts on here where people have added AC but i think it was fairly pricey so i would wait until you find one with it.

Your recommendations seem to be cheaper than i've seen!

Ive been looking around and struggling for decent type-r's sub 6k!

Your recommendations seem to be cheaper than i've seen!

Ive been looking around and struggling for decent type-r's sub 6k!

you could have mine for 6k. 65k miles pre face satin. a/c fogs fsh mot and tax.

I'm also struggling for much <£6k.. Couple I've found between £5,750 and £6,250 with 50k - 65k on the clock, going to view them tomorrow.. fingers are crossed they really are as good condition as the ads say! Shame about the driver's seat being so worn on all the examples I've looked at so far too... guess that's to be expected with 7+ years of use though! Saw a cracking Milano with full leather during the week but it was sold real quick.

Anyone had any luck finding one? :)

best thing you can do is make sure you look over it fully before comitting.
make sure that they have the normal stuff, 2keys, service history, prevouis mot's, check the vin numbers from the v5 to the car stuff like that and u'll be on to a winner!

Some Common Problems:

Steering Rack

This was the most common and costly issue. The most common way to spot this is to centre the steering wheel and let go, it will pull to the right more often than not if it hasn't been replaced under warranty.

2nd Gear

The next most common issue is the 2nd gear crunching. This is very common, especially when the car is cold. To spot this, you would need to make sure the car
hasn't been warmed up when you get there. If it has, you won't notice the problem so much until you have bought it and start up the next day!

Idle Control Valve

This is also a known issue. Once the car is warmed up, it feels like it will want to stall all the time. It normally just needs adjusting, any local garage / speciallist will be able to fix this.

Heatshield

The heatshield rattle can be annoying if you experience it. There is no definitive fix, either tighten the bolts or do what others have and remove it.

Corroding Alloys

Almost all of the alloys will corrode at some point.

Noisy Valves (Tappets)

You may hear a tappety sound, more prevalent when the car is cold but also heard once it is warmed up. This should be done on the 75k service, it's just valve clearences and can be done at any time

Rocker Cover Paint

Under the bonnet, the Rocker Cover may have paint flaking away. It's nothing to worry about, just makes the engine bay look untidy!

Door Handles

The interior door handles often lose paint (the silver handle and surround on the inside). Again, this is a known issue and can be rectified with some vauxhall silver paint from your local Halfords

Alarm going off

There is also a known issue with the alarm constantly sounding. This is when water seeks it's way through the ariel and allows moisture in.

Window Rattle

Nothing you can do about this one. When driving with the window a little way down, it will rattle and annoy you

Last edited by a moderator:
Back