• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Prefer my EP3 to my old DC2

I had a standard '98 DC2 for 2 years, then sold it to buy an MR2 turbo which I modded to 315bhp which I had for 3 years and have now bought an EP3 which only has induction and zorst mods.

I must say I much prefer the EP3 to the DC2.

Am I alone here?!? most of the posts I have read portray the DC2 as being more fun, a true type-r etc etc.

This is what I think (having owned both)

1. The EP3 has more torque (low down especially)
2. The EP3 over all quality (closing doors, electric windows, dash, wing mirrors) feels more like a german car than a Jap.
3. The sound of the V-tec coming in sounds much better on the Civic (this could be purely down to my AEM)
4. The EP3 is a much more modern looking car
5. The EP3 seats are nicer looking and bigger
6. The 'lack of feel in the steering' is almost identical to the DC2, if anything I get more feedback in the EP3.
7. Handling - I felt more confident with the DC2 maybe due to it being lower to the ground.
8. The EP3 has 6 gears which is needed on the motorway

Given the choice I would choose an EP3 everytime.

I agree with alot on what you say apart from;

Steering feel - mmm my DC2 was MUCH better than my EP3.

Seats - DC2 seats are miles better for support, but gave me recaro arse... I'd still go for them over EP3 seats though.

Sound - B18 sounds better IMO, but I had a crazy exhaust system on me DC2 which probably helped

2. The EP3 over all quality (closing doors, electric windows, dash, wing mirrors) feels more like a german car than a Jap.

EP3's are years behind the Germans on quality, they don't even come close.

To be more specific;

What I was getting at, is that the EP3 'feels' like alot better quality than the DC2.
Specifically - The dash (air vents and main/large area of the dash), the thud of the doors when closing (Not just the extra weight but the door connections etc).
The feel of the mirrors when adjusting, the lecky wondows etc.

As for German (VW specifically), I had 3 MK2 golfs and a Corrado and the EP3 feels more solid - cant vouch for new VW's, BMWs etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
i must say having driven a dc2 a few times and been a passenger in one too i think the dc2 out handles an ep3, stock vs stock, but i only noticed this when really pushing it, but other than that i would choose my ep3 over a dc2 because after a bad day or when your feeling a little rough the ep3 offers more comfort, however i love how the dc2 is unmolested by the health and safety brigade!

Back