• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Price for High End Single Adjustable Coilovers?

MeisterR

Approved Trader
Just a general questions to the community.

Many of us searching for high-end adjustable suspension are face with many choices.
As it will be a huge investments for most of us, we all want to make sure that we are making the right decision.

But ultimately, it comes down to prices and what we can afford.

We would all love to ride on a set of Ohlins DFV, but at £2500 a set it is just a bit outside of the budget for many of us.

So the questions here is what "High End" suspension do you think you can afford?
How much is it? And why would you choose that over anything else in the same price bracket?

As the keyword here is 'affordable', lets try to keep the RRP of the coilovers below £1500.

To be honest; shamelessly, reputation and branding is a big thing for me - invariably performance/quality goes hand in hand. I'll advise that my experience with Tein is rubbish however, and I would avoid their products - even if they were given to me for free, I'd sell them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no bad words to say about KW, there coilovers haven't let be down previously! But like 'TypeRiter' said I tend to do go for good reputation, but also a good customer service and warranty is always a eye catcher !

Well I just got a set of MeisterR Zeta Rs fitted as they came highly regarded by several friends

I know people with racelands and JOM coilovers because they are cheap and do the job

They wouldn't have spent what I did on zeta rs but would have spent a bit more than the racelands for better quality

£300 on a set of decent entry level coilovers wouldnt break the bank

Well, that I understand as brand equity is a very important factor.
KW seems to be on everyone's mind at the moment, and it does seems to be the name that comes up.
They are not the cheapest but they work, a bit expensive for a Twin-Tube system but that is where the name comes into play.

What I am wondering is what does people class as affordable... and so far it looks like KW hit that spot pretty well.
Around the £1300 area for the V2 coilovers, and people seems to be happy paying around that price?

The problem with anything like this is there's not many people That want to spend big on anything.

Regardless of what it is.

So if you can buy a £300 set off eBay, why would you stretch to £1000+?

Personally, I feel coilovers are unsuited to our roads. But that's just me.

If it were purely for track, then I'd only consider the good brands like AST, Eibach, KW, Bilstein, Sachs etc etc. Good reputations and proven track record. Majority German engineering.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

I completely agree with Stoo.

We all know how the EP3 handles on some of our donkey tracks we call roads and coilovers are a bit of an overkill if they are never exercised on a track. I would only consider changing the suspension if I have a problem with the OEM gear as the price difference between Honda and aftermarket would not be that great. Plus, my car is a keeper so I would get as much value for money as I could before moving on.

Yes, the AST setups come with top mounts afaik. :)

Only person I know with coilovers over £1k has them on his time attack car

With some of the preface lift civics fetching under £3k now it would be a lot of money for a car that value

There are very very few FN2s running coilovers let alone high end ones. Most people just use Eibach springs which at a couple of hundred pounds is a lot cheaper then spending ££££ on coilovers. Even TDI Norths FN2 is only using Eibachs and having been in two cars round Spa; one with Mugen suspension and the other just Eibachs I couldn't really tell the difference.

By all mean fair comment, but then again good coilovers isn't all about track use.
High end coilovers like the Ohlins DFV are design to work on road and track, and that is the hard part of building a suspension.

Track suspension are easier as the car will be used on a controlled surfaces.
Where road suspension have to deal with a lot more (bumps, pot holes, etc).

Don't get me wrong, lowering springs are a good choice but if you want to have more control over the suspensions, coilovers is the way forward.
But I do agree that £1500 is a lot of money for suspensions for the value of some of our cars.
Like I said, I am just trying to get a general feel of what members of the community is after. :)

Back