• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Problem when starting up my ep3

hello guys this is my first post on here so i hope u guys can help, ive had my ep3 type r for just under 3 years and ive never had any problems with it, until now.

basically when i start the car there is what i can only call a grinding noise.

ive noticed this doesnt happen every time i start the car but id say its gone from 1 in 10 times to around 6 in 10 times in the last 3 or 4 months and i was thinking ive either got clutch or gearbox issues

also dunno if this is related but at high revs changing from 3rd to 4th the selector seems to leap out of 3rd and then feel like it needs pushing into fourth, once again this doesnt happen every time but quite often enough to worry me slightly

thanks guys hpe u can help:D

hello guys this is my first post on here so i hope u guys can help, ive had my ep3 type r for just under 3 years and ive never had any problems with it, until now.

basically when i start the car there is what i can only call a grinding noise.

ive noticed this doesnt happen every time i start the car but id say its gone from 1 in 10 times to around 6 in 10 times in the last 3 or 4 months and i was thinking ive either got clutch or gearbox issues

also dunno if this is related but at high revs changing from 3rd to 4th the selector seems to leap out of 3rd and then feel like it needs pushing into fourth, once again this doesnt happen every time but quite often enough to worry me slightly

thanks guys hpe u can help:D

The grinding noise could be the starter motor if it is only for a brief second, if so it' s quite common, there are a number of posts relating to it on here. My wife,s ep3 does it too.

The grinding noise could be the starter motor if it is only for a brief second, if so it' s quite common, there are a number of posts relating to it on here. My wife,s ep3 does it too.

thanks for that, not sure if its the starter motor as the car fires up first time cant remember a time where it hasnt, just horrible grating / grinding noise for maybe 2 or 3 secs

The grinding noise for a second or two when starting the car is the starter motor. Common problem and nothing to worry about.

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2

thanks for that, not sure if its the starter motor as the car fires up first time cant remember a time where it hasnt, just horrible grating / grinding noise for maybe 2 or 3 secs

The common issue with the starter does not prevent starting, but having said that it doesn't last for 3 seconds so may not be that.

I have experienced this problem in both of my Toyota Yaris'. The starter motor would grind, usually on a cold morning. The noise is the same as when you turn the key when the car is already started. To fix it, you can remove the starter motor and take it to an Auto Electrician. They will grease the internals of the starter; it is the pinion that is sticking and not retracting quick enough, so it gets over spun by the flywheel. Cost me £30 and I've never had the sound re-appear. It's a good fix as the noise is very irritating...

Yeh it did me until I had it cleaned & greased. Now it's as quiet as anything. However, it will be more expensive if you don't remove the starter yourself as there will obviously be labour charges for doing this on top of the starter greasing. I removed mine myself and took it straight in...

Not sure tbh as I've never done one on a Type-R. I'd imagine it's pretty easy. Might have to move a bit more out of the way on an EP3...

Hi everyone, I have a judder am a grinding noise from start up however it doesn't go off, it sounds worse when reversing and seems to go off after acelerating but it's constantly there when ticking over and in reverse. Tried a oil change also using a lighter grade of oil to 0w30 full synth but no joy, the noise seems to be louder from inside the car. Any help would be great?

Back