• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Protected No Claims Discount - is it worth it?

Hi guys,
Just wondering what are people's views on taking out protected NCD on their car insurance. Is it worth it? For me, it adds about £100 to my insurance quote of around £500. That's a good 20% more.

Cheers,
Kamion

Defo!! If you claim your insurance will still go up but it'll go up alot more if you lose 2 years no-claims!

some places do protect 4 years, think direct line is one of them

but most places do the 5 years

I think it depends on the company you go with as to whether they'll protect a minimum amount of NCB tbh mate.

But, I'd say yes it is best to protect em :wink:

Don't do it mate, its the rip off of the century!! :x

Even if you have a crash the next insurance company will bump up the price of your premium anyway so its not worth it.

If it was free then go for it but seeming it isn't then keep it in your bank. Its better off in yours than in theirs!!

Got this response from another forum, it more or less agrees with Matt (composite_guru).

I don't think they are worth it, for one simple reason. Next year you'll likley change company. They'll ask you if you've had an accident, and if you have they'll take that in to account. What's important is that you have a clean sheet, and you have to declare an accident protected or not. They'll base the quote on that, not on any protection.

Anyone who have protected NCBs made a claim and switched insurance companies the next yea? What happened? Did you declare "no accidents or claims in the past 5 years"?

I've got about 9 years NCB and have always protected mine since I've been able to, Greenlight do free protected NCB as well. :D

Kamion I have my 7 protected just incase. Yes you would have to say about having an accident but least you would still have your full NCB still with you which would definitely help

Back