• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

race engine mods pics added

I have had a Saxo in the past, and knowing what the K20A feels like, I reckon it will be well rather wild to say the least.

Wicked thread this will be:D :D

when are you hoping to have this car done by? next summer ready for the 'sunny weather' we get?
will be good to see this finished.

Hi mate, I am hoping this will be finished for around middle of the race season 2009. This will give me a few races to find problems with handling, engine etc so i can sort them out over the winter ready for a full season assault in 2010.
It will be something like prefit and run beginning of next year, ready to be stripped back down and bodyshell painted...........hopefully!

Hi guys, last update before the weekend. I have now got all the bulkhead removed with the exception on the lower suspension mounts, i will remove these when i have some cross bracing in to return a bit of strength back to the shell. The new bulkhead will be pre fit next week with the new bias box too. It will now all be LHD rather than the original RHD. As you can see the first 12" of the exhaust tunnel is removed to allow max clearance for a good header set up.
Cheers
23-10-08-1.jpg

23-10-08-3.jpg

23-10-08-4.jpg

Hi guys.
Just a couple of pictures to update this.
All the front bulkhead area is complete as are the lower suspension mountings. Also made K20A2 purchase number 2, this now leaves me with a complete engine and a JDM spec bottom end with new oil pump, sump and carbon fibre internal baffles.
Enjoy.
24-11-08-4.jpg

24-11-08.jpg

24-11-08-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a little update on the cam specs, After chatting to tdi north i have now decided to use the Toda A3 cams, they say the spec is more useable than the vtec killer cams and with throttle bodies should still be good for 250bp, it will be a little down on the 270bhp that i wanted but for the first stage this will be more than good enough to get going before some real development starts.

Hi webs, TDI North is right but between the A3 and the Vtec killer (just undriveable except for racing) you could get the Spec C, personnaly and for your car its the way I'd go

The primary and secondary lobes are a bit more agressive than the spec 3 but not too much so you stil can use your car everyday and the vtec lob got more duration for the same lift, you could expect +10bhp with the spec C instead of the spec A3 with your ITBs. You will just need to remove the vtc, so its hope to you really

And really nice car by the way :twisted:

Looks a very ambitious project.

Just one question.............. why ??

Surely it would have been better (and cheaper) to race lighten an EP3 ??

Why....because i can!!! No really, because i like to try something differant. I couldnt afford to buy a race spec EP3 outright and if i did i would still change it so i wouldnt of gained anything. The other reason is that unless extensivelly modified a race spec EP3 with the same power wouldnt stand a cat in hells chance against this car with its light weight, nimbleness and unbelievable braking power, i would need to be fairly aggressive again with a radical project to make it as competitive.

I do still like the idea of the spec c's and the vtec killer cams but as i dont really know this engine yet i am just taking advice off the people who should know. If the other specs are better then i am more than willing to try them. I would also like to get rid of the vtec if possible as i dont see any need to have it on what is/will be again an all out racecar. Any advice on cam specs suitable for use with stock JDM pistons/rods and crank + 48mm throttle bodies will be really appreciated.
Thanks guys

PS this car will never see the normal roads as the car it used to be never did, its purely a circuit car only

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with the project, will be awesome :cool: when its finished, have you seen the z-cars saxo k20 conversion with the engine in the back?

Hi there, i have seen the Z-cars conversion and to be honest it doesnt appeal at all. I have seen these on track and they are quick in a straight line but have nowhere near the handling and braking capabilites of what my car had before the conversion. With the extent of the weight reduction and engine position i think this car should be even better than what it was before, which was a competitive car, just lacking final power and reliability.

Good luck with the project, will be awesome :cool: when its finished, have you seen the z-cars saxo k20 conversion with the engine in the back?

I can remember this, didnt see it on track but remember seeing it on the PGAC forum a while back.

Hi there, i have seen the Z-cars conversion and to be honest it doesnt appeal at all. I have seen these on track and they are quick in a straight line but have nowhere near the handling and braking capabilites of what my car had before the conversion. With the extent of the weight reduction and engine position i think this car should be even better than what it was before, which was a competitive car, just lacking final power and reliability.

I assumed they'd have this problem, i cant wait to see this finished, did you ever see the top gear (or 5th not sure) where the 106/saxo came 2nd in the best handling car only beaten by the porsche as it lacked power, this shouldn't :cool: .

Back