• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Radiator Filler Cap Question

Hi,

Just ordered a cheap atfer market claimed-to-be OE quality radiator. It arrives today. I have just thought though, will it or should it have the top filler cap that the original ones have to the left of the slam panel?

If not, is it OK to install it anyway?

For what reason are the filler caps there? - other than to fill/check radiator level? I was in the VW scene until I bought my EP3 a few years back and the only opening to the cooling system is the expansion tank....

Just not sure if its OK to proceed if this feature is missing from the rad....

Thanks guys

It should be ok to use if it fits.

On a VW the expansion tank had a built in pressure cap.

These don't. So the radiator cap is the pressuriser.

Would you install a rad with no pressuriser Stoo? I'm not so confident now!

What are the risks? If there is no 'top hole' I think I will send it back and get the garage to order one from EuroCarParts - (saying that, theirs could also be missing the pressuriser) but that way if anything happens, I'm covered and can pay them a visit...

A cooling system is pressurised for a reason. Without that top cap, there is no pressure relief and could over pressurise and damage the system.

When water is put under pressure, it's boiling point rises. Therefore the coolant can go over 100degC without boiling.

In short, no I wouldn't fit it if it doesn't have a top hole and cap.

Thanks for clearing that up....

I'll give it a miss I think in that case... but I would expect it have a pressure hole/cap since its a fundamental part of the cooling system!... I will use the cap on my existing one, provided it fits.

Back