• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Rattle near 2k rpm

Thanks for the offers lads, I have a day off and could do with getting this sorted, would tdi north, or grin have any parts etc I might need i.e. heatshield, cat etc? where is grinspeed? I called my local honda at Clitheroe, they said the heat shield for the under body of the car was a 4 day wait:eek:
I now realise what I have been calling the upper cat shield is actually the underbody shield? With my cat having no shields on when I purchased it I have mixed the two up and now will have to pay £32 plus vat for a new one from mr honda, dealer only part or so I'm told,darn it having access to tools and a ramp is no good for amateurs like me, just make more work for others

Thanks again.
Izzy

Last edited by a moderator:
dunno if it helps, but check my profile, i've got a video of my rattle which turned out to be my chain tensioner. For me, although it seemed the rattle quietened after 2k revs, it was actually still there just the engine noise drowned it out more. But have a listen to my video, might help you out a little ? good luck mate

Thanks Ash but I;m sure my noise is different and from elsewhere, anyhow I will try and get to tdi in the morning, hopefully see you there Loxy, some advice would be great, cheers!:)

Well, A big thanks to Loxy for giving me a second opinion on my rattle issue, peace of mind knowing it doesnt sound terminal, also a big thanks to the guys at |TDI north for their advice as towards my heatshield issue, hopefully gonna book it in for frsu soon as I can.:lol:

I didn't want to say are you sure it's really a rattle lol. My DC5 made all kinds of noises but was perfect it's the lack of sound deadening that means you can hear much more of the workings of the car.

my rattle is almost non exsistant now that the exhaust has its bung in. I don't know what is rattling but I'll get it looked at on tuesday when the car goes in for an MOT which the police decided I needed due to the sound levels of my standard manifold, cat and hks catback :(

Hopefully also have a second hand cat complete with heatshields;) and a manifold complete with heatshield on their way, paid £100, sound about right? they look in WAY better condition than my own. Seller states he only removed to install race header, decat etc.

Just wanted to give you a heads up about my situation which is similiar.
The rattle/grinding sound I get around 2k rpm's was identified by a mechanic as the clutch. I don't remember what part of it that makes the noise cause it's a bit over my head but he was pretty sure.
It happens when I accelerate, in gear, at around 2k rpm and when engine breaking in that area. Also it's more noticable when car is warmed up. Can not be reproduced standing still with clutch disengaged (reving to 2k).
I have removed all heatshields except the manifold one which is totally numb when hitting it so it can't be that one. Even replaced the entire cat but ended up putting back the old one cause of low cat efficiency engine light.
Also checked the engine mounts which seems ok so I'm currently buying his argument about the clutch as he seems very confident about it.
I have no mechanical troubles with the car but it only makes this noise.

Sorry but I can't find anything when clicking on your profile, can you post a link?
A proper rattle would be heard when firing up the motor or when you rev it stationary right? This is more like a grinding noise only when on the throttle at ~2k rpm or when engine breaking

Check out my profile gloom, i have a video of my rattle and what it was, may or may not help you :)

Thanks for the comments guys, I still haven't got round to putting on my new cat, taking onboard your comments Gloom, but I would describe it more as a rattle than a grind but who knows;) I will get back on once I have swapped out the cat. Bunnyfastard you need to be under the car and have an extension for the socket to reach the remaining bolt, easy with the right tool and a ramp otherwise I can see it beeng a PITA.

I had a very simliar annoying rattle. I was told it would be the cat heat sheild. I got under the car and it appeared to be fixed solid. So, I stuffed some metal takeaway trays above the sheild with a screwdriver and went for a spin. The rattle had gone but I could smell the remains of tea from the night before.....

I got home and removed the heat sheild completely without removing/damaging the cat. It took a good couple of hours and was a bit of a chore but well worth it. So, even if your cat heat shield appears to be fixed solid, it can still rattle - as someone mentioned already, its a two part casing. Hope you get it sorted!

Back