• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

RE050A - 215/40/17 ok for an EP3?

A friend of mine has just sold his car with the winter tyres on it and has a set of RE050A going spare

now I was saving for a set of Yokohama AD08s but these seem a good deal.

Questions I have:

1. Will the 215/40/17 fit OEM EP3 wheels ok?
2. assuming they are just a little wider but lower profile?
3. will this affect my speedo and if so how much?
4. would I be better off saving the extra for the AD08s and getting them in the OEM 205/45/17 size.

these are the tyres in question

thanks for any input

How much does he want for all 4 then ?

Might be worht saving for AD08's if he wants silly money for them .

215 - 40 - 17 is fine on the OEM rim

4 tyres with two weeks use out of them for £300

seems a good deal if they fit and will perform well on my EP3

a set of AD08s is £600 in OEM fitment size :(

would I notice any difference running 215 40 17 at all?

The tyres would look more skiny compared to OEM and you might notice the ride being a little harsher.

IMO 215 40 is the best size for the OEM rim, even though they came with 205 45 as standard. They give a slightly wider track, better for grip and protecting your rims from curbs and they have less sidewall to roll on, so give a more responsive steering feel. It's all subjective though, some people don't like them and stick with 205 45s. Different strokes for different folks and all that jazz

The tyres would look more skiny compared to OEM and you might notice the ride being a little harsher.

im not too bothered about the ride, i do a lot of dual carriage way work and the ride isnt exactly a boucy castle in the ep3 :p

any disadvantages to running this size bar less protection from potholes?

IMO 215 40 is the best size for the OEM rim, even though they came with 205 45 as standard. They give a slightly wider track, better for grip and protecting your rims from curbs and they have less sidewall to roll on, so give a more responsive steering feel. It's all subjective though, some people don't like them and stick with 205 45s. Different strokes for different folks and all that jazz

i hear the sidewalls on the RE050A are stiff anyway so it should be quite a feedback orientated set up, am I right?

yes the RE050A side walls are stiff provided that they are the XL model, i think this just means extra load - stiffer side walls?

£300 is a good price if they are only 2 weeks old from new, i paid about that fitted for just 2 tyres! Great tyres though

they are the XL ones yeah, they came off a current Ibiza Cupra which has just been sold back to the dealer with the winter tyres on so the oem fit ones were going spare.

think i am gonna go for them. had my heart set on AD08s but £300 is a great deal for a set of great performance rubber.

thanks for the advice guys.

Picked up the tyres today. you can still see the molding lines on the tyres they are that new.

now I just got to find somewhere that will fit them for me and regas my AC at the same time.

I'm going to go to 215 40's very soon. Running 205 45's as standard. I hope the ride becomes even more firm - the more raw the better imo! (have even thought of swapping my EP3 for a DC2 because they are less refined....)

ride is firm but not any worse than the OEM size RE040 I had on the car before.

mechanical grip seems to have improved, there is a lot more feedback in the car and everything seems a lot more planted. cornering is 100% more precise and the car feels a lot more pointable.

road noise seems reduced also.

really liking the RE050As so far.

well I had parada spec II on my fiesta ST before and whilst good, they aren't a patch on these.
everyone seems to rave about them here [with a few haters but you get that with everything]

the wet performance of the bridgestones are superb compared to the way that the parada were. sure the parada were better in the wet than most make out, but the bridgestones wet performance is another level again.

I don't understand people who skimp on tyres, they are the only point of contact you have with the road, surely getting the best you can afford makes sense and compromise in any way should not come into it.

the cheap tyre sticky seems to have people fitting their cars with toyo and all that rubbish. why own a 200bhp hot hatch and put rubbish tyres on it.

Don't get me started on Parada's lol.

I am well aware you aren't a fan Chris :p

as I said, I found them good in the wet especially when compared to the midrange favourite [uniroyal rainsports] but these bridgestones hold the road a lot better in the wet.

Im really considering 215/45/17 just for a little extra comfort. but will it have much bearing on how the performance of the tyre say for track days?

Back