• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Really bad vibration/shaking through the whole car when on the power!!

Hi everyone I've just bought a civic ep3 type r recently and it has a bad vibration/shaking thoughout the whole car when powering between 60-80mph but when your doing over 90mph is goes. It only does this when your on the power once you take your foot off it goes instantly. I've checked the balance on all four wheels I've also swapped them around back to front. The car has no sign of any previous damage to the bodywork and looks straight and genuine

Thanks

Hmm it's definitely not the wheels then, It may be mounts as tabblink suggested.

I would think if it was something unbalance then the vibration would stay when letting off the throttle.

Does it judder when you pull away? Or judder when you shift to second?

Hi no it doesn't judder at all just shakes the whole car right through when on the power at speeds between 60-80ish but once you take your foot off it goes straight away thanks

I only ask as the pull off juddering is a common symptom of a failed engine mount :)

If one of the driveshafts are slightly bent, you'll get a really bad vibration at high speeds but then stop at even higher speeds, if that makes sense. I've replaced a few on V'dubs and the symptom sounds the same

Hi and thanks for everyone's advice, how will I find out if the shaft has gone and which side because I've checked them by moving with my hand and both sides feel the same

Thanks again

A engineers clock or D.T.I (dial test indicator) is needed to test the straightness of a shaft. It measures in very fine increments and would be applied to the centre of the shaft, whilst turning the shaft the clock will show the amount of runout.

And if you don't have a gauge, you'll have to remove them and inspect them manually on a flat surface. Try the gear box side first mate. Good luck

Back