• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Really bad vibration/shaking through the whole car when on the power!!

Hi I've been to all my local garages today and not one has these equipment to check if the shaft is bent so I'm really stuck for ideas and don't want to spend money of something that isn't damaged :(

Tbh mate, I really don't think you've got a bent shaft. I've never heard of a ep3 suffer from a bent shaft but it is a possibility.

I would first check uneven tyre wear, uneven brake disc wear and the surfaces that meet between the wheel and the hub.

I know you have had the wheels balanced but uneven wear on the tyres can produce vibrations and shaking.

Also is the vibration only speed related or can it be felt in a lower gear at the same revs as 90mph (4500 rpm)?

A buckled wheel may also be a possibility.

My mate has changed an ep3 driveshaft due to it being bent. Vibration from worped discs would only occur under braking. I would have said that it Is possibly tyre ware or a buckled wheel but he's swopped the wheels. Unless ofcourse all the wheels and tyres are knackered

You can swap the wheels around as much as you like, they're still all turning at the same time.

Uneven wear on the discs or damaged discs causing them to be unbalanced, not warped.

Swap the front wheels to the back. See if the vibration moves to the back too.

That will/should tell you if it's a wheel.

Also, warped discs... Use a DTI to check for disc run out. Although you'd feel it through the pedal too.

I've still got my odds on a shaft.
It's fairly easy to bend a shaft in all honesty.

When a wheel spins then grips, that can shock a shaft heavily.

Twisting and sometimes breaking them.

I find it hard to believe that not one of any of the garages you have been to doesn't have a DTI.

You would notice a difference if the wheels are swopped over. And with regards to the discs, you'd only feel the vibration when braking. In my 15 years being in the trade, I've never known discs to cause vibration without braking. If front wheels were out, you'd feel it on the steering wheel and then the feeling would be different if the buckled wheel or out of shape tyre was moved to the back

Griff. It's rare to see uneven wear on a disc like you describe.

It's be more likely to see uneven pad wear but the disc should be fairly uniform.

Also, don't rule out a wheel bearing or cv joint.

Hey, I'm not a mechanic I'm an machinist/engineer and I'm only trying to apply what I think causes vibration at speed.

You would notice a difference if the wheels are swopped over. And with regards to the discs, you'd only feel the vibration when braking. In my 15 years being in the trade, I've never known discs to cause vibration without braking. If front wheels were out, you'd feel it on the steering wheel and then the feeling would be different if the buckled wheel or out of shape tyre was moved to the back

I totally agree with you in regard of if the wheel was buckled you would feel it through the steering if it was in the front as the same for a disc you would feel it when braking. I've moved the wheels front to back and it's exactly the same the car shakes right through the hole thing when only putting your foot on the power then suddenly goes when released between the speeds of 60-80ish also if it was a wheel or tyre wouldn't it be there off or on the power at that speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a shame! I was gonna say, if you were local, I'd have a look at your motor. Sorry mate

I've just joined this forum with a couple of questions and this was one of mine. I bought an ep3 on thursday and I have exactly the same problem, shaking between 60-80mph. I've booked it in for a service with a mate who works at a garage on wednesday so I'll get him to see if he knows what the problem is, hopefully I'll have an answer wednesday evening

Back