• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rear ARB Knocking, How do you adjust it?

Anyone able to help with this?

About 5-6 weeks ago I attempted to fit my JDM ARB and I couldn't undo the two bolts that connected to either side of the suspension. I ended up giving up doing everything back up and its been knocking ever since, only now is really doing my head in!

Anyone got any idea how to adjust it in an attempt save my sanity!

- Kevin.

:oops: I thought it was not adjustable, being a solid bar, but I don't know I just get TDi North to do everything :oops: you may have a bolt loose, or is that just me.

Are you talking about the drop link bolts mate??

I'm not sure if you already know this but they have an allen key fitment as well the nut over them. You need to undo them using the allen key otherwise when you try and remove the nut the whole thing just ends up turning. HTH mate.

CTR said:
Are you talking about the drop link bolts mate??

I'm not sure if you already know this but they have an allen key fitment as well the nut over them. You need to undo them using the allen key otherwise when you try and remove the nut the whole thing just ends up turning. HTH mate.

Arh ok, that could be the problem then, I was just trying to undo than using some this thin pliers! :oops:

- Kevin.

Friendy said:
:oops: I thought it was not adjustable, being a solid bar, but I don't know I just get TDi North to do everything :oops: you may have a bolt loose, or is that just me.

Its not adjustable in that sense, but it its not fitted correctly it'll knock.

It needs adjusting to 'fit' correctly but not adjusting for 'custom setup'...if that makes sense.

- Kevin.

moNoKnoT said:
Friendy said:

Its not adjustable in that sense, but it its not fitted correctly it'll knock.

It needs adjusting to 'fit' correctly but not adjusting for 'custom setup'...if that makes sense.

- Kevin.

Just tighten up the nuts on the drop links. Do you know what its knocking on?

I would say the bolt has come loose as mine did after a couple of days when I first put mine on, so I tightened them up again and its been fine since.

They are none adjustable so its probably something like that.

Carl

N77 said:
I would say the bolt has come loose as mine did after a couple of days when I first put mine on, so I tightened them up again and its been fine since.

They are none adjustable so its probably something like that.

Carl

I adjusted the centre bits and moved it over to try and stop the exhaust knocking but its come back :roll:

zeff'..

I feel your fustration. :(

I've tried a minor adjustment in the ARB but it tends to seat itself back to its rest position when the weight of the car is dropped back onto it.

So, my next plan was to loop padded sticky tape around the bar to pad out the knocking. This worked for two months until the tape had melted.

My next plan is to wrap the ARB (just that exhaust section) with one layer of terry towel then cover it with grey Duck Tape as I think it is heat proof. I am only looking at about 3-4mm clearence so I'm not going to pad up too much as I do not want any pressure of the exhaust sitting on the ARB.

Hopefully this should work. I'l let you know how I get along. :D

Jay.

Zeff'.. my update.

Dad took my car to work yesterday to fit new tyres and he had done some work around the ARB.

Dad had cut a length of grey foam - about two inches wide - and secured it around the ARB at the point where it was rubbing against the exhaust with cable-ties. Dad said that he could clearly see where the paint of the ARB had melted and I have seen blobs of paint on the exhaust too when I had a peek. This solution has cured the knocking.

This afternoon, we secured the foam a bit further by jacking the car up and wrapping the foam with Power Duck Tape (black) - only two layers of tape. A quick mooch about the block and some hard roundabout action has left things rattle free. Yeay! The tape has melted a bit but I do not mind. :D

However, when standing still on idle, there was a rapid knocking sound near the backbox (DC Sports cat-back system). This sound would disappear when you touched the backbox gently. We finally managed to trace the knocking sound to the rubber hanger closest to the rear-wheel. It was gently flexing within itself around the metal bar that is attached to the car. A quick spray of WD-40 and silicone grease has solved that knocking sound too. I'll watch the underside of the car though as little bits of rust has started to appear around seams and such.

Back