• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rear Brakes Advice

Hi guys

I'm looking at changing me rear brake discs as they are starting to corrode and sound like they are rubbing a little too. I was just wondering whether its worth spending the money on OEM discs since I think they are pretty expensive at £55 a pop.

If I dont use OEM which others would you guys recommend? I don't use it for the track at all BTW. I'm also I bit unsure about mixing makes, since the fronts are fine and are OEM's at the moment.

Plus I was told that if you are changing the discs you might as well change the pads too and since they are the rears, again, is it worth using OEM pads or should I just go for mintex or something?

I was also wondering are you supposed to change the fronts at the same time? (which were changed not so long ago anyway).

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Another +1 for OEM. I wouldn't trust anything else. They are what's stopping you from hitting walls after all.

Another +1 for OEM. I wouldn't trust anything else. They are what's stopping you from hitting walls after all.

I would use mintex personally or ds2500's. But I doubt there is any extra stoppage over OEM. Bear in mind though it isn't Honda that makes them.....

Oh yeah, I use Ferodo DS2500 and Wilwood 4 pots on the front :lol:

I meant on the rears, I wouldn't use anything but OEM

I see what you guys are saying, thing is, I've just added up the Honda OEM price:

2 x rear disks = £110.06
1 complete set of rear pads inc shims = £45.46
4 x screws = £5.96 (I'm assuming its better to replace the old disk screws than use reuse old ones)
Shipping = £9.90
Total = £171.37

Compared with eBay:
Mintex Rear Disc and Pads = £49.00 & Free Postage.

Is it really worth spending 3 times as much on the rear brakes? Fair enough for the fronts but I'm struggling to justify spending the dollar. I think I'm just seriously tight and I'm also probably be going to sell the motor in about 5-6 months time.

Talk to some of the traders on here like TGM or Hendy and you will get a much better price than that. Cox Motorsport are doing 25% off today only, look in their section as well.

I see what you guys are saying, thing is, I've just added up the Honda OEM price:

2 x rear disks = £110.06
1 complete set of rear pads inc shims = £45.46
4 x screws = £5.96 (I'm assuming its better to replace the old disk screws than use reuse old ones)
Shipping = £9.90
Total = £171.37

Compared with eBay:
Mintex Rear Disc and Pads = £49.00 & Free Postage.

Is it really worth spending 3 times as much on the rear brakes? Fair enough for the fronts but I'm struggling to justify spending the dollar. I think I'm just seriously tight and I'm also probably be going to sell the motor in about 5-6 months time.

Just buy the mintex set. ..is oe equivalent and Will stop you just the same :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, Cox Motor Parts with the discount is £121.63 inc.VAT and Postage, pretty good saving! Still over twice Mintex price though.

I have a few hours to ponder over that I guess!

Hi guys, just to follow up from my last post, I decided to just go with mintex discs and pads, £49 from eBay.

I also decided to replace them myself! First time I've ever done a reasonably major mechanical job so I did plenty of research and gave myself a full day and got all the tools I needed. Went pretty well although I'm a bit annoyed since they look like they haven't been changed in a long time, one of the pads was really down with uneven wear and looks to have been rubbing for a while. I thought they take care of this sort of stuff in a service?!

The only thing that bothers me is that the pads were really hard to get off, I'm no expert but if there wasn't any move in them, they must not have been working very effectively? The new ones were pretty tough to get back on too even though I gave the part (not sure what its called) that the slider pins go into a really good clean as well as the clips that were really covered in rusty gunk. I re applied the copper grease when fitting the new pads. I was tempted to re grease the slider pins for good measure but was afraid of breaking the rubber seals so didn't bother.

I'm thinking of taking them off again and cleaning some more, I'm thinking maybe the rust build up might have something to do with it. Any advice guys?

I'd love to take everything off and have a thorough clean and service (could also give them a lick of paint whilst I'm at it), including the calliper piston and replace all the seals with new ones but as I say, I'm not that confident about the whole bleeding brakes process yet :-/

Sutters - bleeding brakes is an easy job but if you do not feel confident then watch a mechanic do it the first time around.

Go and bed your new pads and discs in as recommended by the Mintex guidance and check the discs (once cooled!) for any uneven pad contact patterns.

Most basic services involve a torch and a peep at the pads through the callipers to assess wear. ;)

You will probably find the mintex bite well for the first 50miles or so then you will be wanting to go back to OEM pads as they really are pants. Their discs are fine though, I have them on my EP3 at the moment and they're essentially the same as OEM.

You will probably find the mintex bite well for the first 50miles or so then you will be wanting to go back to OEM pads as they really are pants. Their discs are fine though, I have them on my EP3 at the moment and they're essentially the same as OEM.

Done a few hundred miles now and they feel the same to me :)

Done a few hundred miles now and they feel the same to me :)

I just remembered you've only got them in the rear, you're hardly going to notice any difference as the brake bias is pretty much all towards the front wheels. If you had these on the front you'll notice a massive drop in stopping power.

I just remembered you've only got them in the rear, you're hardly going to notice any difference as the brake bias is pretty much all towards the front wheels. If you had these on the front you'll notice a massive drop in stopping power.

Got the pads on the front as well. . . Honestly there really has been no noticeable difference over the oem that was fitted before.

One big plus side is less dust and what is produced is not as sticky as before so tge wheels are easier to clean

Back