• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Removing Carbon Wrap

Hi All,

Just bought a 59 reg FN2 from a main Honda dealer. The previous owner has had the roof & wing mirrors carbon wrapped, it's not to my taste so I'm getting them to remove it before I pick it up. The salesman reckons it's an hour or so job & shouldn't damage the paint but he's going to say that isn't he? He's now rang me saying that it might have been wrapped to cover up damage so that will have to be repaired before they can let me have the car. Reading between the lines it sounds like they're not confident they'll remove it without trashing the paint.

Has anyone had wrap removed? Is it an easy job or am I right to suspect it's going to be a lot bigger job than the salesman made out? I'm fully expecting they'll ring me tomorrow I can't pick it up because it's having a re spray!!

Cheers.

NYA bought a car with a wrapped bonnet and roof not that long since. I think he removed it himself, so he will be best placed to advise.

The salesman is just covering his back, because no-one except the person who owned the car previously knows what is under the wrap.

It does normally come off without an dramas though.

Cheers Loxy, you're right in saying that nobody knows what lurks beneath until it's removed. Will have to see what the dealership says tomorrow, hopefully it'll be an easy job, I did read a few horror stories about the glue dissolving the paintwork!!

Hey bud, as Loxy says, I removed a carbon wrap from my DC5 not long after buying it. I think the worst problem as far as the dealer is concerned is the damage underneath could be anything. It could just be a few stonechips like mine was, or it could be a totally different colour part as far as the mirrors are concerned. The roof of mine wasn't too bad, it was hiding a few little scratches, but they came out with some Meg's Scratch X, my bonnet was a different case though. The stonechips were fairly bad, and when the wrap came off, it pulled at the paint and the lacquer at the edges of the chips. I wasn't too worris tbh as I knew I was replacing with a Carbon Bonnet.
Personally I would talk to the dealer and see how far they're prepared to go as far as repairs go. If they're willing to take the chance and remove the wrap and deal with the consequences, then that's all good. If they're not willing to fix it, I would just live with it for now. Hope you get it all sorted mate, keep us up to date with it all. ;)

Thanks NYA, my Mrs went in to sign the paperwork tonight & she said all the guys on the service desk were trying to convince her to leave it on saying how good it looks. I think they're probably worried they will have to foot a big bill if there's some sort of nasty crime scene underneath. The bonnet hasn't been wrapped which is where you'd expect a lot of damage to occur. So I'm hoping it was purely done to make the car different but will see what happens & keep you posted.

i had my bonnet, rood, spoiler and wing mirrors wrapped. Ive kept the bonnet wrapped because it needs a respray but removed the rest which came off very easily although it was on a very hot day so the sun helped but a hair dryer will be fine to soften the adhesive

What age did FN2's get the improved windshield seal? i know a few people who have wrapped their roofs to cover up the damage the older seals caused.........i think you may be ok with a 59 plate ***!

2008/2009. Some 2008 cars had the old style seal. 09 on should be OK.

Picking the car up tomorrow, no reports from the dealership of any disasters but will give it a close inspection & keep you posted. Fingers crossed it'll be ok.

Picked the car up no problems, apart from the odd remnants of glue which come off with a bit of isopropanol the paint is in perfect condition. Thumbs up to Blackpool Honda, the service has been spot on.

As a side note, I never thought I'd enjoy driving a car as much as my EP3, it might be my imagination but the FN2 seems to have more useable grunt & the noise it makes on cam is awesome!!

Thanks for everyone's advice.

The guys at Blackpool Honda are great nothing is ever an issue to sort and they do genuinely like a bit of vinyl wrap on a car. Glad you like the Fn2 get some pics up when you can.

Back