• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

replacing front engine mount?

Had a search on the forum but cant find a " HOW TO "??

want to know if its an easy job or not, and of course how to do it.

am i right in thinking the front lower engine mount is the cause of a knock when pressing on through the gears??

for an 2001 ep3

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably 4/5 on the haynes spanner difficulty.

I took mine to TDI for an hours labour I think.

If you get a jolt when you press the clutch when going up hill,slowly, in traffic, this is most likely EM. I think mine made a knocking noise too.

I have an ES insert for the front mount too if you're interested!

I got the rear insert at the same time of replacing the front one and it is the world of difference.

Probably 4/5 on the haynes spanner difficulty.

I took mine to TDI for an hours labour I think.

If you get a jolt when you press the clutch when going up hill,slowly, in traffic, this is most likely EM. I think mine made a knocking noise too.

I have an ES insert for the front mount too if you're interested!

I got the rear insert at the same time of replacing the front one and it is the world of difference.

cheers Joe
yeah i can feel a jolt aswell, when i press clutch and relase it. Do the inserts restore knackered mounts, or better off getting a brand new one?

You need the new mounts to fix the shagged ones, the inserts just add more stability / longivity. They make a real difference. The rear one especially.

Back