• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Road noise....I know why now!

About 6 months ago I noticed almost over night lots of road noise coming from the rear of the car when travelling on the motorway. Took the car to Honda and they said it was tyre ware. Last week I was painting my callipers and had the wheels off and noticed that the rear passenger side tyre had many flat spots all the way round (see below) and it was really worn on these spots.

The car is lowered on Spoon Progressive springs with no camber adjustment. The rear tyres have covered 22,000 miles with approx 15,000 of them on the Spoon springs. When I had new front tyres I got all four wheels laser aligned and the left rear was approx 2.3 degrees out.

I'm going to buy a new set of tyres in the next couple of weeks and get the adjustable camber sorted.

Does anyone think that this problem is due to the camber or is there something else wrong? The driver side wasn't half as bad but the camber wasn't as bad either.

Any thoughts????

DSC00990.jpg

DSC00989.jpg

I'd say that exactly the problem. 2.3 degrees out of spec is massive, especially if its only on one side!
Camber adjuster will reduce this but 22k miles is still very good going for a lowered car.

One other suggestion. Put your new tyres on the back at all times. New tyres on the front mean more front end grip and less at the rear. Unless your really happy and confident with oversteer, in which case leave carry on as your doing. Day to day you probably wouldn't notice but that one time you need to car to perfrom (emergency situation or if you overcook it on a corner) then you be glad.

Hmm this has got me thinking.

I changed my fronts about 2 weeks ago as my old potenza's only had about 1.7 mm left :oops:

Anyway after they were fitted I noticed a lot more tyre noise. I thought nothing of it as they'd only just been fitted and perhaps it was something to do with having more tread on them.

Well today I checked my tyre pressures and the fronts were 30 and the rear's were 32. No wonder the car felt unsettled in the corners. This is after I told the fittter that I wanted 32 front and 30 rear!!!

Sorted it out and it's still resonably loud. Think it could be the same thing, or just paranoia?

Aeron,

Mine is just out of warranty spec adjustment on the rear arms, but very close to the limit (imposed in the HUK service bulletin). ADH wouldn't change the rear arms, but fair play, the inner tread block on both rears was very stepped at 24k. Outer 2/3rd's of the tyre had about 4-5mm, and the inner tread block was below legal limit.

I see what they were saying that I should be grateful for 24k on the original set of rears, but I said that I was not happy that they chewed the insides, while I still had 4-5mm on the rest of the tyre.

Getting my Spoon progressives done on 1st July, then off to Tom at TGM for camber adjusters and proper fast road setup

2.3 degrees is definately out of spec. You may have warranty probs with the Spoon springs though. My worst was the right rear at -1deg38min, and I think the warranty limit is -1deg45min

Plus, I thought they sorted the rear arm issue on the face lifts

Pitty I didn't get a shot of my rears - the inner edge tread block was noticeably stepped in thinner than the block next to it

Standard dealer speak is its actually the way the CTR is setup with negative camber on th rears for "sports handling"

My only disappointment on my motor :|

Aeron - I had exactly the same problem on the DC5.

I fitted spoon progressives and it wore the rear tyres in exactly the same way as yours (although a little worse)

I got Tom at TGM to fit the camber adjusters and set it it correctly and it's made a massive difference.

Once you've sorted it out it's like having a new car 8)

Cheers guys!

I'll get a new set of tyres early July just after the meet in Portsmouth and then straight up to TGM for a camber kit and fast road setup.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the different the car will feel as I'm pretty happy with it now.....probably because I'm used to the dodgy setup I have now. :)

My car failed the MOT the other day because I had flat spots on the nearside rear tyre. The wear was on the inside edge. LOTS of noise was coming from that.

MilanoChris said:
Any idea on mine?
Have you had the camber/toe checked since your trip to the ring mate?

It is possible you could have out them out slightly causing the extra road noise :?

Welsh-Rich said:
MilanoChris said:
They were fine up till when the tyres were change 2 weeks ago :?

OH :?

Maybe they weren't balanced correctly? :? :?:

Sounds a strange one to say the least

I might take it back at some point and ask them to take a look. Problem is that it was done "off the books" so they might fook me off.

Defo rear camber that causes feathering as seen on you tyres

Basically the ctr handles so well as standard as the rear suspension is designed to run on the inner edges slightly, some are worse than others.

If you run your hand over the worn area of the tyre you will feel un-even wear on the tread blocks (feathering) this is what causes the excessive road noise :wink:

I'm suffering this problem, but on a 53 plate facelift. I've had the car 4 wheel checked and both rears are miles out. I have over 8 months of warranty remaining but my dealer is saying that if it's a rear arm problem then it would've shown up within the first year and is refusing to entertain my claim.
The car has done 32K.

Mylee said:
I'm suffering this problem, but on a 53 plate facelift. I've had the car 4 wheel checked and both rears are miles out. I have over 8 months of warranty remaining but my dealer is saying that if it's a rear arm problem then it would've shown up within the first year and is refusing to entertain my claim.
The car has done 32K.

Same as mine. If it chews the rears in about 6k miles, they'll do it. I got 24k out of the rears on mine (bald inside edge, and 4mm on the rest) so no chance

Back