• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rocker Cover Painting Questions

Hi all,

Just wondering, I am looking into getting my rocker cover powder coated as it looks a bit pants at the mo. I would be painting it red again but was wondering:

1) Is the rocker cover cast aluminium or Magnesium Alloy?
2) If it is Magnesium Alloy does it need to be out gased?
3) Finally what temperature would cause the rocker cover to warp?

Reason is that the factory I work for powder coats its product and the curing process is at around 200 degrees C. I really don't want to have it painted then put it back on the car and find its warped.

I wouldn't mind finding a spare rocker cover and then doing it as then I can prep it over time and wouldn't need to rush getting the painting done.

Cheers

I dont know an answer to any of those questions, but you could look at the process honda use to apply the cover from the factory and if that process used a similar temp to what you're after then you are onto a winner.

Thanks guys, think I might get that wrinkle paint looks really good from what he has done. Think I will be getting some. I read on another site of a guy putting the rocker cover in the oven at 200 degrees so it probably would be ok to powder coat it.

Will have a think about it and prob will do it next year or maybe over christmas if I decide on the wrinkle paint.

I can't see 200C causing any issues but that wrinkle paint looks the balls. :)

There's a guy on civictype-r.co.uk called brencivic, he does them and puts them in the forsale section. Have a look, Think he will do them in any colour you want on an exchange basis.

Yea looking at the pics it does look awesome. Will have a look at the CTRO site after I have signed up lol, will have a look at the for sale section.

Gonna go have a look for some of that paint, might be able to get it through a supplier for the company I work for, get some money off it :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I painted mine in wrinkle finish black and I must say it does look good, realy easy to do as well.

Was thinking whether to do it black. Haven't seen a wrinkle black cover only seen it done in the red. I'm still in two minds whether I want the wrinkle effect again or have it powder coated for the smooth shiny look instead.

Also been a pain in the butt explaining why I want to do this to the guys in work. I just want a clean engine bay lol.

Will put pictures up when I have it done, or when I decide to get it done lol.

Ive just ordered some of the red wrinkle paint, im looking at giving it a go after christmas.

Thanks for the pic Si, the black looks good specially with the red, I don't know if it will go with NHB although it might do lol.

I am looking more towards the wrinkle paint. Think a weekend of not driving and take the rocker cover off and paint it.

Back