• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rotary Buffer/polishers...

I currently use a Megs G220, though thinking about switching to a rotary this year, as the time it takes with the DA is just ridiculous!

Now is it worth spending a little more and getting a Makita or just buying a cheaper one? Also what model do people go for with the Makita, as there seems to be a few?

What do you mean the time it takes is ridiculus mate?

Is the polish not breaking down, or are you giving it a few hits?

CTR's should be a doddle with a DA.

I've had a silverline orange for 2 years now and it's brilliant. Worth it.

I had the same issue on mine, maybe its NHB thing as everyone says the Honda paint is soft but it was really hard work to make any impression with the Porta Cable.

I purchased a Kestral last year but havent had chance to use it yet. I think it will be good on the flat panels but the sides are going to be a struggle as I find it quite heavy.

I have used my G220 a few times only purchasing it last summer, I find the prep work takes the longest. Wash, dry, clay etc. But it's results are awesome, love the glass like finish it leaves.

I had the same issue on mine, maybe its NHB thing as everyone says the Honda paint is soft but it was really hard work to make any impression with the Porta Cable.

I purchased a Kestral last year but havent had chance to use it yet. I think it will be good on the flat panels but the sides are going to be a struggle as I find it quite heavy.

Well i was going to use DA on delicate areas and buy a rotary for the bigger areas. It just takes too long to do whole car with DA and by the time i've clayed, primed etc and i'm shattered!

If you want to do a proper detail including paint correction (removing swirls) in one hit, you really need to set aside a whole weekend. Granted the dual actions take longer, but they're far safer to use in inexperienced hands. I wouldn't trust myself with a rotary yet and I've done 5-6 full details on various cars. It's still relatively easy to generate a fair bit of heat with a random obital polisher and it's not unheard of to get strike through especially on edges.

Using a machine polisher to get desirable results will take a lot of time regardless. You should only apply the polish in small sections (I would do tea towel sized areas at most) and you have to work this polish in regardless of polisher to get the results. Trying to do it too quickly will mean you end up heating the polish up too much and it will clump up and not work into the paint work.

Storry, if you're getting fed up with it taking ages to do, why don't you just do a couple of panels at a time? Bonnet and front wings one weeekend and doors the next etc. If you do it on consecutive weekends or relatively close together, you shouldn't have to redo the pre work and just hive it a quick wash.

Tru dat. Takes time, hence why £400 bills come in.

Storry, you can pop over any time to try out my rotary, I'll help you get the best from it.

cheers

If you want to do a proper detail including paint correction (removing swirls) in one hit, you really need to set aside a whole weekend. Granted the dual actions take longer, but they're far safer to use in inexperienced hands. I wouldn't trust myself with a rotary yet and I've done 5-6 full details on various cars. It's still relatively easy to generate a fair bit of heat with a random obital polisher and it's not unheard of to get strike through especially on edges.

Using a machine polisher to get desirable results will take a lot of time regardless. You should only apply the polish in small sections (I would do tea towel sized areas at most) and you have to work this polish in regardless of polisher to get the results. Trying to do it too quickly will mean you end up heating the polish up too much and it will clump up and not work into the paint work.

Storry, if you're getting fed up with it taking ages to do, why don't you just do a couple of panels at a time? Bonnet and front wings one weeekend and doors the next etc. If you do it on consecutive weekends or relatively close together, you shouldn't have to redo the pre work and just hive it a quick wash.

I've heard this is a god way of doing it actually. Just need a bucket load of good weather!

Tru dat. Takes time, hence why £400 bills come in.

Storry, you can pop over any time to try out my rotary, I'll help you get the best from it.

cheers

Cheers Joe.

Back