• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rotrex supercharger

Hi guys,

just wondering how many of you have had this mod done and if so what package you have gone for? And how do you rate it?

I am seriously thinking of getting the mod but also have questions on how much bhp certain engine components can take, and what other things you changed with the mod e.g engine mounts, clutch ect...

Any feed back would be most appreciated

thanks

I had the base Rotrex sport kitted and at the time I only had an intake and cat-back (OEM manifold and cat were still fitted) and I made 324bhp and 199ftlb. It went alright.

I did stick a stage 4 paddle clutch in though to handle the power and to be honest the clutch was awful on a daily driver.

Now, this won't apply to every kit because there are plenty of people who have had them fitted for a while and not had any issues, but I've heard of loads of Rotrexs snapping their shaft, shredding the charger vanes and obliterating their bearings. In short the Rotrex unit fails. TTS do seem to be good at warrantying broken chargers but TBH I would never go Rotrex again. I personally had boost pipes popping off and traction fluid bottles snapping off their mounts.

You won't beat the band for buck they give, but personally it's the other sort of bang I'd be worried about. :lol:

Hi loxy thanks for the reply, I should of added that I drive a civic ep3 type r
its nice to get some feedback on someone who's had it fitted, wasn't sure what I could get away with clutch wise as it'll be driven everyday still and the tts package is what I've been looking at,

thanks,

Dave

Loxy had it fitted to an FN2 IIRC, so pretty much the same engine.

Have you not thought about the JRSC? I personally think they look much better too, I've been looking on eBay for the past 3 months and there's hardly any second hand ones about.

I had the stage 2 Rotrex on my ep3. Made 370bhp. Its a pretty epic bit of kit, its not a fit and forget SC like the Jackson one. You need to keep an eye on the traction oil when check the oil. I lkked it, but I got bored and went turbo less than 12 months later.

Thanks for the reply tom, do you think turbo is much better route to go down? What bhp did you get from the turbo?

Thanks

Dave

My turbo was a custom build. Rated to 800bhp. On the completely stock motor it was running 460bhp.

The Rotrex was a lot of fun, but it had its down sides. It will only get to peak power at the top of the rev range, turbo hit peak as soon as it kicks In. If you eventually want more power you have limited options with a SC, a turbo is pretty versatile and often be tuned however you want it.

If I was to do it all over again I would just go turbo.

What supercharger is reliable for daily driving with power of about 275-300bhp and virtually maintenance free? As much as I'd love a turbo kit, it's the price of another car.

No chargers are maintenance free unfortunately.

The Rotrex requires keeping an eye on the traction fluid and the fluid changing every two years.

Some Eaton chargers have shown to need the main shaft bearing changing every 10k, less common on the Jackson kit admittedly but you'll struggle to get a Comptech or Jackson Eaton type kit any longer unless you go second hand.

Both solutions would get you to the figures you've quoted.

With the rotrex Is the fluid easy changed and checked? Somthing I was really looking into but I don't want to be worried every time I drive the car that somthing is about to go wrong. I wouldn't be a mechanic in the slightest so it's not somthing I will be fixing etc myself.

It's something a garage can easily do as it's a gravity feed system but from memory the traction fluid is something like £60 a change.

It needs checking regularly though as if the fluid runs low, the charger is toast.

No serious engine tuning is fit and forget. The higher the state of tune, the more care it requires.

I used to do it when I checked my oil. The Traction Fluid bottle has a screw lid with a mini dipstick attached. So its just a case of unscrewing it and looking.

How long did you have yours fitted for tom83? And did you ever have any problems? I was thinking of just the rotrex sport.

I had my Rotrex taken off after a couple of months. The boost pipe kept blowing off the inlet manifold then the two brackets that how the traction fluid bottle on both snapped leaving the traction fluid bottle flapping around in the engine bay. I'd had enough of it at that point.

I've seen three units where shafts have gone meaning the chargers having to be replaced, in two of those cases the charger blades were damaged but miraculously no material ended up being ingested into the engine.

Many people have run them without issue, but personally I wouldn't get one fitted again.

I had mine for about 6 months and had no issues. I sold it and went turbo and never looked back.

Turbo would be a wee bit too expensive for me. And I would have to travel across the pond to get someone reliable enough to fit it. How long have you fitted? No issues?

I had it in my EP3 for about a year. Not a single issue. Its just an all round better option in my opinion. Its currently in my loft waiting for me to get motivated to stick it and the K20 motor in something smaller and lighter.

So unless your looking to spend 6 or 7000 on a turbo kit. Supercharging is just too much of a hassle for reliability?

Back