• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

RPM bouncing 1k-2.5k on start up..

Hi guys,

The car has been in my garage for about 2months, started up a couple of times a month to check battery is ok, last time I checked it I found it doing this, I have left it running for around 10min to see if it would settle once warmed slightly, but no difference, other than getting a beating from the Other half for "being a c0ck" even though I was standing outside the car explaining why I needed to keep it running :(

[video=youtube;jgji-Pffrjg]old link autoupdated[/video]

Mod's to the car are:

K-Pro (TDI north tuned)
De-cat Mani,
Pro-spec catback
AEM CAI.

Have posted this on CTRO, received a few replies, this from Sam (CivicTypeReplica) being the most comprehensive.

"easiest bet is to get it on k manager and monitor all your sensors and see if anything is fluctuating that shouldn't be.

otherwise

idle control valve very common issue for getting gummed up, esp if your has stood. remove tb, remove icv, clean out - car like new.

if not that, then remove air assist valve hose (the teeny one from the airbox) BE VERY CAREFUL not to snap the plastic side tube off the valve, when hose is off leave dangling and block plastic tube with finger, if this solves problem then let me know, i'll link you to another thread

if not that then i can only assume you need to take it for a good razzle for a few days and see if it improves.

basically kpro cannot figure out the idle and the air assist valve very well, leading to erratic cold idles on many cars.

keep us updated
thumb.gif
"

Anyone else have similar problems in the past?

Any help is appreciated.

Scott

I cant seem to see the youtube link atm :confused:

However, judging from what you are describing, take a look at THIS thread on CTRO.

It sounds very similar to what I'd experienced with the revs going up and down, up and down. But note I didnt have K-Pro or the likes but its worth a try?

HTH

Gary

It'll be the idle control valve. You can clean it yourself, there are a few guides around.

i was round tgms a while back and tom had their race dc5 running doing exactly the same, the icv needs cleaning.

Just picked my car up from my folks house, it's sat in their garage for a week whilst I was sunning myself in Tenerife... I start it up and guess what... the exact same issue. As I'm off to TDI tomorrow I'll ask them to resolve that one for me.

Same thing happened to my old EK Civic. Was told to reset the ECU and take it for a spin, 10 mins later it was sorted :)

Had a tit in a corsa thinking I was asking for a race at a set of traffic lights though as it was revving up and down non-stop :lol:

Resolved by driving up the motorway for 45 mins. The guys at TDI didn't need to look at it in the end. Moral of the story use your CTR.

Resolved by driving up the motorway for 45 mins. The guys at TDI didn't need to look at it in the end. Moral of the story use your CTR.

:D

Good to know. Will have to wait till I put the car back together to test this though. Currently changing suspension for Tein SS+EDFC, fitting spoon monoblocks/braided lines.

Only hiccup, need to cut the dust sheild on the other side of the disc? Calipers wont actually get near the mounting points with it on :(

Hmmm I think I may well be having the same problem here although mines is intermittent and its setting the engine management light off with fault code 'P1519 - Idle Air Control Valve Circuit Failure' happens mainly in mornings and goes away after time with the light going off also, has been happening for the past 3weeks, difference is I use my car daily so hasnt been sitting unused like some of you with same symptoms. Any help on how to clean the ICV would be appreciated and has anyone had their light come on from this?
Cheers

Just to confirm my CEL light didn't come on and I've had no issues since. I know it's of no help to you cocodaman but just so your aware that the engine light wasn't a syptom for me.

Yeah thanks paul, it does tell me that my problem may be different to yours though as it's set a fault code, cheers!

Back