• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

S2KIP's S2000

Pic of the intake:

11da023aaf94c9d8ad8cba00464dcfff.jpg

It's booked in to get it fitted in Tuesday, along with putting a shin on the engine mont to stop the manifold touching the steering column.

Now tyre related. Bloody AD08R's and a shortage in 245/40 R17. I noticed at TGM that I've been enjoying the S2000 a little too much. Barely 7000 miles and the rear tyres have got 2mm left. :lol: The original plan was to change all of the tyres on the car to AD08R's however I can't get hold of the rears in time for next weeks 'ring visit. So I've just had some Potenza S001 fitted. Grip seems to be better so far.

Bridgestone stopped making the OE fitment tyre for the S2000, the RE050 MZ (the MZ part is the S2000 specific marking, stiffer sidewalls), I had them on the rears but the normal on the front (terrible turn in and initial bite!). I asked Bridgestone what they replaced it with and they said the S001. Great, except they don't do them in the front size (215/45 R17). The alternate is the RE002, which has nice stiff sidewalls, but they don't do them in the rear fitment. :roll:

I'm in two minds what to do now. Replace the front with RE002 which is meant to work well on the S2000. Or order some AD08R's.

Enough space to go up to 255/40? That's a very common size, I'm probably going to drop to it on the SL because 265s are almost non-existent.

On the figures alone it would make your speed read about 1-2% slower, perhaps the slightest bit more grip at the rear due to the extra footprint. That said, there's enough variance between tyre models of the same size, it'll probably make no noticeable difference at all.

It's worth considering, there should be enough room I think, plus wider rear tyres look cool. :lol:

I haven't ordered the AD08's yet, I may just change the weak fronts to RE002's. The S001 rear/RE002 front setup has favorable reviews from owners on S2KI. Then again people still preach about the T1R!

If I do stick with the Bridgestones, the car should be more forgiving in the wetter weater.

The ad08r's run very wide. A 255 will be the equivalent to a 265 compared to say a hankook ventus evo v 12 or eagle f1 which run true to their width.

I've not long picked up the car from Performance Autoworks. It was booked in for two jobs, firstly fit the newly acquired Mugen intake. A lot of closed box intakes for the S2000, including the Mugen, aim to take cold air from further forward than the OEM one, but to do this unfortunately a small bit has to be cut out of the bonnet. I had briefly thought about doing this myself, then I came to my senses and I booked it in for a professional to do. I'm very pleased with the results, the bit where it's been cut has been painted and made to look nice. I can only image what devastation I may have caused!

Fitted:

ClmbmqK.jpg

The cut on the bonnet:

imUVlZE.jpg

I'm pleased with the sound, it's quite subtle until VTEC cuts in. One thing that annoyed me about the Gruppe M on my DC5 (and EP3's) is that it's very boomy at WOT at lower RPM. The mugen isn't, it's only a little louder than OEM. However when VTEC cuts in it turns into a nice subtle growl. I wanted a new intake because all of the noise was previously from the rear of the car (not surprising with a race manifold and Fujitsubo exhaust combined with the OEM intake) and this fits the bill nicely. If I had to complain about one thing, then I'd say it could do with being a touch louder, but it's early days yet.

Unfortunately, I've just uploaded a new base map so I'm stuck with part throttle only to datalog before I can start flooring it again. So far so good though, the car has a nice balanced sound to it. Although saying that I've only driven it with the roof down which increases exhaust noise a lot.

The kit was missing a fitting bracket, but a new one was made by Rich and the intake itself is solid under the bonnet.

The second job was to fit a spacer to the passenger side engine mount, in order to stop the J's Racing manifold touching the steering column when turning left. This seems to have cured it completely, so all in all a very productive day.

I'd like to thank Rich @ Performance Autoworks on yet another job well done.

That's some serious work under the bonnet and the Mugen looks awesome! Are there any intake carbon pipes for the S2000 available ? Now that would take it to another level Chris! :-D
Carbon is an incurable addiction and spreads like the plague! Lol

I'm not sure it would work due to the engine movement, there has to be flex somewhere.

As it stands I do have a Samco intake hose in black on order. I'd actually forgotten I'd ordered it till I looked under the bonnet today and saw the OEM intake hose which reminded me. :lol:

I've been like that with boxes arriving. "WTF is this? Oh yeah..." :)

Looking good Chris, turning it into a wee beastie!

Cheers John.

I've got some ideas about what to do next, head wants, wallet disagrees. :lol:

Good call on the intake, don't think I'd be confident enough to cut the bonnet. Looking good!

Back