• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Safe mileage on a CTR..

Im not sure whether this is in the wrong section or not but hey-ho I'll give it a go.
I'm looking around for an EP3 but know nothing about what kind of mileage they can run to.
A lot that I have seen are running 70k + up to 140k for the budget which I'm setting myself.

I was just wondering, can an EP3 run to that high of mileage and still have life in it if maintained properly? How can I tell if the cars haven't been maintained. Or is it well worth swerving the higher mileage ones. I just don't wanna buy one and then fork out loads of money for repairs and things.

Are there any tell tale signs I can see if the cars been abused, as I'm not about getting one to rip about in. I'd like a car to touch up, tinker with, and have a little bit of fun on country roads at the weekend.

If there's anything else of use to me that would be fantastic from a buyers point of view. Thanks for any information in advance.

Buying guide is here: http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/s...ing-guide-check-list-for-the-EP3-Civic-Type-R

and a thread on common faults is here: http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?60546-Common-Civic-Faults

A full service history is the ticket really, backed up by receipts etc.

The cars will run and run but high mileage cars will start to have issues with things like bushes drying out and cracking or wearing, engine mounts splitting, shocks going, generally that sort of thing. As long as you budget for little things you'll be OK.

Cam chains and tensioners are supposed to be life items, but it's worth getting them replaced at 100k as they do stretch over time or the tensioner starts giving up and the chain can jump on the cam gears. So that's something worth thinking about. Some cars are fine, however more and more people are coming up with chain issues now the mileages are creeping up.

I'm going to agree with Loxy, it all depends on the car and the life it has led.

My car is at 78000 miles, with 'official' service history up to 58000 miles. It was in a bad state when I got it; I have replaced around £1600 worth of parts because IT WAS NECCESSARY, plus another £1400 because racecar. I have learnt that the previous owner was a woman that used it primarily to transport her (probably unintentional) offspring.

You may find a ctr going for <£5000 that has high mileage but has been owned by an enthusiast and is in exceptional condition. I will point you towards Lewis and his EP3 at this point, as he recently considered selling for roughly what I would ask for my car. Lewis's car is original and wonderful, mine is modified and wonderful.

It's a hard thing to judge, I would see if you have any experienced TRO members local to the car that can view it and give you an unbiased opinion.

Dont rush into buying and also drive as many as you can to get a feeling what what several different cars are like

I got mine at 70k its now at 95k, it didnt have the book stamped as his mechanic serviced it, but the car felt good and it checked out ok against the checklist :)

Hi guys, thanks for the information.
I'm not going to rush into buying anyway, I need to save up some funds to start with, I've considered getting a loan to be able to get a more expensive car if needs be, but I don't really want to be doing that, having that over my head. I've driven a 57 plate Type-R but of course the cars are going to be different. I will probably hunt the internet a little more, PistonHeads, Auto Trader, eBay and the like. To get more of an idea of what I'm going to get for my money. I want something relatively un-modified. Simply because it's my own then, I don't mind the odd piece of ICE here and there, but one example I saw for £1800, with 94k miles on the clock, had a badly painted bonnet and roof, hand painted wheels, over-sized burnt tip exhaust, and to be fair it looked like a shed, one of those cars you can tell have been abused.

I've seen a few that say careful owners, elderly owners etc. But of course a lot of people are going to say that with the nature of the car. I'd probably set myself an aim to get a car with FSH with as many receipts as possible.

Jimbo, I'd probably look for a car like you've described, something that somebody has looked after, been an enthusiast of the car, who actually takes care of it.

Also, I'm debating whether to SORN the car when I buy it, so I can get funds together for insurance. As me being 19 wouldn't really help the matter, I think the quotes are around the £2500-2700 mark, which I can justify to be fair.

& yes I'd probably take a member local to me if possible, to have an initial look at the car, then take it to a Honda garage near me to have it checked out one weekend, like a full health check type of thing and atleast then they can tell me if anything needs doing.

Yeah, it can be a bit of a minefield with these cars. I really wish that I had spent more time on here before I bought mine, history and treatment is everything on these cars. They will happily do 150k if they are maintained properly.

Have a look in the insurers' section on here, some of them are willing to give very good deals to forum members. I think that you live in a pretty high insurance area, so it would be worth doing every little thing to keep the premiums down. Keep it garaged, no extras on policy, keep the mileage down, put your parents on as named drivers, do advanced driving courses (pass plus and skid control), take a higher excess.

My area (I found a table on areas and postcodes in Leeds) is in the bottom category, although there's only 1 way in & out and have a garage, security etc..
It's nice to know that the cars can do that high mileage while being maintained, it's just being able to tell which are maintained and which aren't, as much as stereotyping goes, you can usually tell the suspects that have been ripping them around. Insurance when I'm 20, with both parents on is a shed over £1000. Which I can justify since I had a 1.4 SXI Astra that was 1400 on insurance not so long ago.

Thanks for the information,

That's not too bad actually. Something for you to consider; it could be a great idea to have the car and have some time to work on it before your birthday, but I would consider getting it insured for your parents (or some other low risk driver) during that period. It shouldn't cost too much, and it means that the car can be kept running and you will have the option to get it to a garage/petrol station etc. if need be.

If you can find a friendly member on here to go and look at cars with you, I would jump at the chance. I'd happily snoop around any that you find in Glasgow.

Bought mine at 73000 miles, with service stamped at 58000miles. Now it's at 113500 with no problems so far, just been looked after :)

Just trying to price up a car + insurance lately. I'm off on holiday to Mexico in July so I'd have to start saving after that, could save half loan half, that's what I'm thinking at the moment, but I've found a few cars for £2995, with a mix of mileage on, ranging from 71, to 85 thousand, which I think I'd be looking at. Ideally with service history that's full and as many receipts as possible. With insurance when I'm 20, and a private plate.. (J005SHY) or(Y333 JJB) coming in at around 4400, if the car needs no work/tax etc. Which I don't think is particularly bad for a 20 y/o. ^^

Full Honda history.

Hard to tell from the photos as always but looks OK pending HPI.

Looks like it's got tints on the front side windows though, which is 3 points but again that might just be the photos. Easily rectified if it does.

I'm a tad late to this post but agree with what others have said. You can never be certain with any purchase, however documented history with lots of receipts is generally a good sign. Higher miles is not necessarily a bad thing as it may mean that parts have been replaced that are due to be needed on a car with less miles (clutch for example). Also, a car with higher motorway miles may be less worn than a city runabout. If it helps, my wife's ep3 is over 140000 miles now and still drives fine.

Yeah, I can see what you mean about the parts being replaced at higher miles, but some people will sell a car due to the car needing parts and they can't afford to replace them or get them sorted, so either way it's going to be a blind situation, i'm just going to have to find one that I thinks half decent and just jump in I think, i'm getting closer and closer by the day it's just arranging time off with work to go and pick the car up, and get the funds together

That looks like pretty good for the price. The photos have been edited though; the brightness and contrast have been tweaked to the point that it doesn't look Milano anymore. Could be innocent, could be trying to cover up something. I wouldn't be surprised if the paint has faded badly, or it's been cheaply resprayed at some point.

Also not mention of timing chain or clutch replacement, these are the big expensive things for a high miler. Not a problem if they both work fine now, but a good bargaining chip!

Yeah I thought the interior shots looked a bit edited, but didn't think they all were. Looks a lot brighter than other cars I've seen, I've been looking at satin silver ones I think which I prefer, but I've asked the guy about replacements he said he's spent 1500 in the last year

My chain and tensioner was changed at 110000 miles and clutch was done soon after so that's something you may have to shell out for on that one also colour does look odd especially on interior pics

Back