• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Servicing question

Got a qoute from my local dealer and booked the car in last week and I paid £190 all in for the service, supplying my own oil and spark plugs so I was well pleased with that after hearing the quotes that some of you guys have been getting from other dealers. Unbelievable how much the prices can vary.

the service will make your pride run better but you still could have saved some pennys.

front discs and pads on ebay for £60 so you could probably get them cheaper somewhere else. i wouldn't pay £245 seeing as its a 30 min job to do yourself.

take wheel off, remove 2 bolts holding the caliper (12mm bi-hex head) and slip off you can now chuck old pads in your neighbours garden, squeese piston slowly back in with g-clamp remembering to take brake fluid resivoir lid off and stick some paper towel around incase of overflow. remove 2 bolts holding caliper support (14mm bi-hex head) and move out the way, remove 2 counter sunk retaining screws (philips screwdriver) holding disc, remove disc and throw in the hedge. install new disc and replace screws, bolt caliper support on, put new pads in caliper support adding shims that are supplyed and slap some copper slip on the back of them, slide caliper back over new pads and replace bolts, put wheel back on, repeat other side and replace resivoir cap. test brakes. so all together there are 6 bolts to remove and replace and 5 wheel nuts per side. is it really worth £245 - £60 = £185 labour.:evil:

i always do my pads and discs front and rear. just have to not mind getting your hands dirty.:D

The trouble is chap, i can fcuk up anything when it comes to doing stuff to cars, to be honest i'd rather spend the money and know the job has been done properly but if there was anyway i could save a few pennies along the way then i'd never pass up the opportunity but doing it myself isn't really an option. Thanks for the info anyway though

even if you take it to a cheap garage. they will do the exact same job a honda technician does just without the super high prices and pristeen clean overalls. your just getting ripped off.
please don't get raped by honda stealers. support the small firms who do just as good.

Right a little bit of help required if possible oh knowledgable ones. Today i've noticed a metalic sounding rattle, at 1st i thought it was something under the bonnet but having stood next to the car and 'blipped' the go go pedal i'm not convinced it is. It only started today (well i've not heard it before) and from what i can make out it's only when pushing the load pedal down (tick over it doesn't seem to be there).

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what i could take a look at to find out what it could be?

Right a little bit of help required if possible oh knowledgable ones. Today i've noticed a metalic sounding rattle, at 1st i thought it was something under the bonnet but having stood next to the car and 'blipped' the go go pedal i'm not convinced it is. It only started today (well i've not heard it before) and from what i can make out it's only when pushing the load pedal down (tick over it doesn't seem to be there). I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what i could take a look at to find out what it could be?

do you think it could be this ?

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?67686-2000-rpm-buzz-from-the-engine

heat shields make various noises from rattleing to buzzing, defenitly check these things first. let us know how it goes, other things are possible but one thing at a time.

heat shields make various noises from rattleing to buzzing, defenitly check these things first. let us know how it goes, other things are possible but one thing at a time.

Well, coming home it was definately still there and i'm convinced it's a metalic sounding noise & a rattle. Like in the link it wasn't really noticable under 2K rpm but get to about 3.5 - 4K rpm and it seemed to dissapear all together. The warmer the car got the better it got to the point that when i got home (it's a 40 minute drive door to door) it wasn't really there at all :confused::confused:.

Unfortunalty i couldn't get underneath the car to reach/check anything, i need to jack it up but i'll not be able to do that until the weekend at the earliest :(. Any more thoughts based on what i've said above chap?

Well, coming home it was definately still there and i'm convinced it's a metalic sounding noise & a rattle. Like in the link it wasn't really noticable under 2K rpm but get to about 3.5 - 4K rpm and it seemed to dissapear all together. The warmer the car got the better it got to the point that when i got home (it's a 40 minute drive door to door) it wasn't really there at all :confused::confused:.

Unfortunalty i couldn't get underneath the car to reach/check anything, i need to jack it up but i'll not be able to do that until the weekend at the earliest :(. Any more thoughts based on what i've said above chap?

still sounds to me to be a loose fixing of some sort. if it were engine/gearbox related i would expect the noise to be constant and change pitch through the rev range. i find the best way to check is to have a friend hold the revs at point of the noise being constant and just touch around shields and pannels and feel for vibration. i would think its somewhere near or on your engine and exhaust because the noise lessens with the temp of the engine. metal expands when hot and small vibration gaps can get closed up.

just thinking... does it sound like its coming from the exhaust? I remember some older cars catalytic converters would come loose and rattle in there housing and when hot lessened in noise. i've never heard of this in a CTR though.

I've got exactly the same thing, started this week. When warmed up it goes away. Does the rattle get louder when you change up?

still sounds to me to be a loose fixing of some sort. if it were engine/gearbox related i would expect the noise to be constant and change pitch through the rev range. i find the best way to check is to have a friend hold the revs at point of the noise being constant and just touch around shields and pannels and feel for vibration. i would think its somewhere near or on your engine and exhaust because the noise lessens with the temp of the engine. metal expands when hot and small vibration gaps can get closed up.

Phew, i have to say i think your right when you say it's a fixing/head shield of some sorts, i'll get the car jacked up Saturday and get the missus to hold the car at revs, poke around like you say and see what i can find. Confusingly it didn't seem quite as bad this morning although it was still there and again when warmed up it almost seemed to dissapear.

I've got exactly the same thing, started this week. When warmed up it goes away. Does the rattle get louder when you change up?

Hmmm, difficult one to answer in all honesty chap, yesterday when i 1st noticed it, it just appeared to be quite noisey between 2-4k rpm and at other rev ranges it was virtually not there, i suppose you could say it got noiser when you changed up but i would image because the revs were dropping into 'the range' that is seemed worse.

I got same sort of problem on my dc5, but on mine it always happens at 2.5k revs in any gear, im sure its something to do with the exhaust.
Maybe a bracket or nut comeing lose.

Phew, i have to say i think your right when you say it's a fixing/head shield of some sorts, i'll get the car jacked up Saturday and get the missus to hold the car at revs, poke around like you say and see what i can find. Confusingly it didn't seem quite as bad this morning although it was still there and again when warmed up it almost seemed to dissapear. .

how did you get on mate?

Sorry for the delayed response chap - been a tad busy with one thing or another.

Due to various things happening i didn't get chance to get the car jacked up Saturday but swung by my local dealers who i know quite well as they've 'looked after' the car since new. Anyway cut a long story short they quickly stuck it on a ramp and apparently it's the driveshaft headshield that has corroded around the fixing point and is now rattling. It's £45 for a new one and they'll fit it for £80 all in (supplied & fitted), being as i now know it's nothing major/mechanical i'll just get it done when i have less to pay out for.

Just remove it dude. I have no drive shaft shield or exhaust manifold shield, it won't be an issue.

Biggest waste of £80 IMO

Back